Contribute
Register

How long life time will a hackintosh have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been building systems for over 20 years and apart from a few early machines they have all been AMD. However, I was very lucky to have a client of mine donate me a MacBook Pro last christmas and had previously purchased my first iPhone (6S Plus) after Apple moved squarely into the business of protecting their customers' privacy (I work in Privacy and Data Protection so this is very important to me).

The first couple of months of using iOS and OS X was enough to convince me to rip out the AMD 8320 from my desktop and replace it with the Skylake i7 6700k. It took me about 2 hours to get a working OS X El Capitan installation finished and I have not looked back.

Sure it is not perfect - I can't let it sleep (but I turn my system off at the end of the day anyway) and I can't seem to get DP/HDMI Audio working - but the system works and works well. I have sound via the Line Out instead of the HDMI/DP so that is not really a significant issue for me.

System seems rock solid, fast as ... well something very fast - and I no longer have to check every single bloody update to make sure Microsoft are not installing yet more spyware.

I think the October event will see new MacBook Pro, Mac Mini and possibly iMac and I will probably buy the new MacBook Pro - but it won't replace my desktop :) I love this beast.

Hey buddy, without sounding like I'm telling you to suck eggs...

Check out how to generate your own SSDT. This may solve your sleep problems. Generating your own DSDT and patching it with common fixes can also help with the latter being my preferred method first.

HDMI/ DP audio is a common problem. My recommendation is not to attempt to fix any on-board audio at all. I'd just get a DAC or one of those saberent USB audio adaptors. HDMI/ on-board DP audio is very noisey and not very update proof. Why bother yourself with unnecessary hacks?

Good luck! Again, I hope I am not preaching to the converted.

hi guys, I have a Hackintosh a long time (2007). I already ran many Mac OS! I managed to install and work well with El Capitan. Unfortunately I could not install it Mac OS Sierra :-{
My computer is used with Photoshop, Illustrator and Co. ...

My hardware is:
Processador: Intel Core 2 Duo 2,66GHz
Motherboard: Foxconn P35A
Video card Geforce GT 8500 512MB
8GB of Memory DDR2/800MHz
320GB HD SATA

Everything works fine!

While my case has changed due to a Craigslist windfall and my graphics card has changed three times due to wanting better gaming resolution on the Windows side, my Hackintosh built in 2011 is still running strong. I ran into issues with El Capitan that I finally got worked out thanks to a few flags. The i5-2400 processor hasnt failed me. The only trouble I've had was getting WiFi to work with each upgrade. Usually the WiFi solution was used a few weeks to a month after the new OS release though. I'm in the basement and don't have a dedicated Ethernet connection, although every weekend I tell myself, "I'm gonna install a dedicated line to the downstairs!"

I built my first hackintosh in 2014. I was able to get it running back then except for iMessage. I was happy with that since I have a MacBook to do that with. I upgraded to macOS Sierra and everything works now. Much easier to get a system up and running now than compared to then.

I haven't found a need to upgrade anything because everything still works flawlessly.

The only difference is the look of the case and monitor(if not using Apple's display). Apple computers aren't easy to upgrade anymore. You can always change stuff with a hackintosh. I feel this one will last me quite some time but when the time comes, I am sure my next computer will be a hackintosh.

Your system will last you as long as you're able and willing to change things to fit your needs and the compatibility requirements. If you ever want to upgrade, check the boards to see any ongoing issues if any or ask for help.

This community has helped me so much.

I've built several hacks for others that are still going strong, the oldest from 2010.

Posting this from my signature Hack- still running since 2012. I've wanted to upgrade it to a newer hack many times, but it just keeps on getting the job done for me, is rock-stable and is easily the most reliable system I've owned. Before it, I had a P45-UDP3 based Hackintosh that I had built in 2008. (That same board is still going strong as a server, just not running OSX). Almost a decade and Hackintoshes have ruled my desktop. I can easily state that nothing desktop-wise made by Apple would have suited my needs as well, and cost a hell of a lot more.

I am starting to get the bug to update my main rig!

I've built several hacks for others that are still going strong, the oldest from 2010.
I am starting to get the bug to update my main rig!
I call my Z68, 2011 Sandy Bridge system the Energizer bunny. It keeps going and going and.... Just can't find any reason to stop using it. I've got a newer Z97 system I use for video/photo editing but use the SB system as my daily driver.

I would love to know how you managed to get an i7 6700k to boot / install, do you by chance have a guide on configuration options?

Mine keeps hitting a Kernel Panic at "com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer"

I'm excited to hear that someone got this working, gives me hope for my system.

(Granted, my system is an off-the-shelf-er) but I couldn't pass up this deal I found and figured if I can't hackintosh it I'll find something to do with it.

Any info you can provide on your config would be awesome.

Thanks!

I have been building systems for over 20 years and apart from a few early machines they have all been AMD. However, I was very lucky to have a client of mine donate me a MacBook Pro last christmas and had previously purchased my first iPhone (6S Plus) after Apple moved squarely into the business of protecting their customers' privacy (I work in Privacy and Data Protection so this is very important to me).

The first couple of months of using iOS and OS X was enough to convince me to rip out the AMD 8320 from my desktop and replace it with the Skylake i7 6700k. It took me about 2 hours to get a working OS X El Capitan installation finished and I have not looked back.

Sure it is not perfect - I can't let it sleep (but I turn my system off at the end of the day anyway) and I can't seem to get DP/HDMI Audio working - but the system works and works well. I have sound via the Line Out instead of the HDMI/DP so that is not really a significant issue for me.

System seems rock solid, fast as ... well something very fast - and I no longer have to check every single bloody update to make sure Microsoft are not installing yet more spyware.

I think the October event will see new MacBook Pro, Mac Mini and possibly iMac and I will probably buy the new MacBook Pro - but it won't replace my desktop :) I love this beast.

I would love to know how you managed to get an i7 6700k to boot / install, do you by chance have a guide on configuration options?

Mine keeps hitting a Kernel Panic at "com.apple.driver.AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer"

I'm excited to hear that someone got this working, gives me hope for my system.

(Granted, my system is an off-the-shelf-er) but I couldn't pass up this deal I found and figured if I can't hackintosh it I'll find something to do with it.

Any info you can provide on your config would be awesome.

Thanks!
I just followed the standard Skylake installation instructions on this site - many people have 6700k working with El Capitan - follow the guide and make sure you make the required changes to the BIOS.

Earlier this year I tried hackintoshing my pc, just because I like tinkering and fiddling. Magically I got it working on unsupported hardware and instantly fell in love with the OSX experience, I'm a long time Windows user. I was due for an upgrade because an i3 was not going to cut it for video editing so I decided to buy 'more' hackintosh compatible hardware. I'm all about getting hardware as cheap as possible and I knew Gigabyte motherboards are the most compatible so I decided to go i7 6700k, for the rendering performance, and took a risk on getting the cheapest Gigabyte motherboard I could find which was the Gigabyte H110M-DS2 DDR4 in the hopes that it would work. Apon receiving the parts I assembled and having made the Bootable USB from the previous pc installed Yosemite. At the beginning I struggled a lot to get the installer to boot, and almost gave up, when I got a breakthrough. I installed all the drivers and the Cuda app, for gpu rendering. Everything worked but sometimes it would freeze and required a "hard shutdown", so I investigated and found that it was the caused by Cuda and easily solved it with the freezefix patch. I now have a very stable build and will never go back to Windows. My full specs :

I7 6700k
Gigabyte H110M-DS2 DDR4
12GB DDR3 Ram
500GB HDD ( I Use a NAS for mass storage)
400W PSU
Nvidia Gtx 550 ti gfx card (will replace it soon)

Total system cost around $780

Hi,
I hope you have your hack up and running. I've been running hacks almost ever since it was possible. Some of the experiments - specially on cheap pc hardware - ended up in catastrophic crashes, so here's what I've learnt:
1. Blindly follow the tonymacx86 recommendation on hardware specs, especially the motherboard. The right MB makes all the difference. When I built my home system (and my first ever attempt at pc assembly) in late 2012, I chose a Gigabyte H77-DS3H (Z77 was unavailable where I live) and the rest was simple. I have been running 10.8.4 ever since - and except for a very occasional USB problem, wireless mouse/kb going dead - which an unplug & replug fixes - a single hd recover from a time machine backup and slow shutdown once in a while, the machine has been rock solid. And everything worked oob. Had more trouble assembling the hardware than installing and configuring the software!
2. Have never used clover, but chameleon with unibeast/multibeast is also rock solid.
3. Separate your data drive from your os and app drive. Choose a 250+ GB ssd for your os and apps. Mine is 128 and requires periodic cleaning because my wife and kids save everything to their desktops ;-).
4. Create daily backups of your main drive (using time machine or any other method).
5. Buy the most powerful cpu you can afford - I use a i7/3770, not overclockable - but just a little more expensive at the time than an i5. Still don't have a graphics card, but everything works very well. My daughter's learning design and she uses adobe cs6 with no problem.
6. Don't panic. At work I have a truly crappy old pc (2006 model, with a ghastly intel mb) which runs 10.6.7 no qe/ci. I have a kernel panic every few days on startup. At work I ALWAYS boot in verbose mode (-v) and it seems to work on the second attempt.
7. Always make sure you can access this forum on some device. It has saved my a*se several times - specially with aforesaid crappy old pc.
8. There is always a tiny bit of luck involved!
All the best
Ashok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back