Contribute
Register

How long does it take to migrate to clover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
gigabyte z77-ds3h
CPU
i5-3570
Graphics
nvidia gtx 650
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just as title says, about how long would it take to migrate from chimera to clover. Is this a 20 minute thing, or should I devote a saturday to this?

You obviously haven't read the myriad of threads around here on Clover to assume it could be a 20 minute endeavor. The best advice I could give someone would be to play with Clover on a completely separate drive WITH ALL YOUR OTHER DRIVES PHYSICALLY DISCONNECTED FROM YOUR SYSTEM.

If you are successful and feel confident enough at that point you can either install Clover to your existing OSX install or migrate to the new drive you created. My advice would be to migrate over.

good luck!

You obviously haven't read the myriad of threads around here on Clover to assume it could be a 20 minute endeavor. The best advice I could give someone would be to play with Clover on a completely separate drive WITH ALL YOUR OTHER DRIVES PHYSICALLY DISCONNECTED FROM YOUR SYSTEM.

If you are successful and feel confident enough at that point you can either install Clover to your existing OSX install or migrate to the new drive you created. My advice would be to migrate over.

good luck!

I actually have read a lot of the threads...perhaps I'm just over optimistic :)

Hi bbqthis,

well the video gives you an idea of what you're in for but it's up to you to decide whether the video is helpful (IMO the video it's helpful).

Clover is not one size fits all, it depends on your motherboard make/model, BIOS settings, onboard network kext, onboard audio kext, onboard Intel HD Graphics + any attached PCI devices, e.g, wireless card, graphics card(s) from nVidia or AMD.

These all affect how you will configure Clover so it's up to you to read up on what you need to do to get everything working

The best Clover guide for a desktop build IMO is the one that Tonymacx86 posted here

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the difficulty in installing clover seems to be people not following the instructions on installation of UEFI vs bios, and then matching config options to match hardware?

Just install clover on a USB stick. Then mess around with it. Once you have it working good it's pretty easy to move it over to your actual drive.
That actually sounds like a good, safe idea. I'll start on that tonight...expect my questions later haha.
Thanks in advance everyone!

Well I installed it to a thumb drive then fired it up and after selecting my HD i got a small bit of text ending with boot file path: System\ etc

I think I'll just wait for my retina 5k iMac...haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back