Contribute
Register

How is the trackpad experience on hackintosh laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Mac Studio - Mac13,1
CPU
M1 Max
Graphics
32 Core
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm considering purchasing a Dell or HP laptop and trying my hand at hackintoshing it. The one thing that concerns me is how the trackpad experience would be like. Do features like two finger scrolling and pinch to zoom work on a hackintosh laptop?

If I do attempt this, I would probably be looking to purchase a used Haswell or Broadwell generation laptop to keep cost down.

Thanks in advance for your input.

If you've used a MacBook then the trackpad will be absolute, almost unusable trash. If you come from Windows then it will be exactly the same. Multitouch should work and so should gestures. But nowhere near as nice as a MacBook with its glass trackpad.

God damm that thing was glorious.

Thanks for the input. I've been finding out how it is first hand over the last two day. Yes, I agree with your assessment. The experience is quite bad when compared to Apple trackpads.

I'm working with a Synaptics ClickPad. 2-finger scrolling and 3-finger works for switching between Spaces and Mission Control, but pinch to zoom isn't working. I guess I should be content to have this much functionality. lol

You should have gotten an Elantech chip based touchpad. There is a kext that makes wonders for my ASUS X550LDV
Synaptics will work well but doesn't support as many features.
Maybe you could try with ApplePS2SmartTouchpad.kext

I didn't know about the different touchpads that are available and still don't know how to find out what is used in different models of laptops...

Over the recent weeks, I've adjusted to this trackpad. It's definitely nowhere near as good as those on MacBooks but it's functional enough for my simple needs on this laptop... If/when I switch to another laptop, I'll try to look for one with Elantech.

Thanks for the info on ApplePS2SmartTouchpad.kext. I'll look for it and give it a go.

That's what we are here for, sharing knowledge and wisdom. Make sure to modify the info.plists to you needs

Hey guys, I am also looking to shift to Hackintosh on my laptop. but I am afraid if the trackpad would work or not. The trackpad uses windows precision drivers. Would it support all the gestures in mac os?

Greetings, I hope that's okay when I write my Question here instead of open a new thread and maybe annoys someone.

Question, Is there any Laptop out there, were the Trackpad / Touchpad is like in a MacBook Pro or came nearly as almost the same feeling in gestures? (
I do not mean the hardware side, I mean the gestures, the software side. That you can swipe back and forth in the browser, the zoom, etc.
)

I am quite curious and I haven't found a satisfactory answer yet. ^^

Greetings, I hope that's okay when I write my Question here instead of open a new thread and maybe annoys someone.

Question, Is there any Laptop out there, were the Trackpad / Touchpad is like in a MacBook Pro or came nearly as almost the same feeling in gestures? (
I do not mean the hardware side, I mean the gestures, the software side. That you can swipe back and forth in the browser, the zoom, etc.
)

I am quite curious and I haven't found a satisfactory answer yet. ^^

On my Latitude 3450, I'm using the VoodooPS2 driver and I can do two finger scrolling (up/down, left/right, diagonal) and three finger swipes to change between Spaces. Pinch to zoom is not available with this driver...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back