1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Performa
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
hi everyone,
i have hear some months ago about Open core,
I wanted to try it, but I could not find any guide to install this boot loader. I remember the time when principal boot loader was chameleon, enoc, etc. and how clover pull out or fuse whit it.

I wonder how or where can I find a guide step by step to install and try it.

hi everyone,
i have hear some months ago about Open core,
I wanted to try it, but I could not find any guide to install this boot loader. I remember the time when principal boot loader was chameleon, enoc, etc. and how clover pull out or fuse whit it.

I wonder how or where can I find a guide step by step to install and try it.

Search Google for "getting started with OpenCore" and "OpenCore documentation". That should lead you to all the guides that are currently available.

But I see that you are using Z390... I have not had any luck getting OpenCore to work with my Z390 yet. Z370 was fairly easy to setup.

Search Google for "getting started with OpenCore" and "OpenCore documentation". That should lead you to all the guides that are currently available.

But I see that you are using Z390... I have not had any luck getting OpenCore to work with my Z390 yet. Z370 was fairly easy to setup.
thanks friend for your help

@pastrychef
Have you moved to OpenCore for your main hacks?
Is it worth the hustle as of now? I think it's still in BETA, is it?

I started to mess with OpenCore for my Z370 build when OpenCore 0.4.0 was available and just posted my OpenCore 0.5.1 EFI folder for the Z370 build.

There's a pretty steep learning curve to switch from Clover to OpenCore. If they were cars, Clover would be the one with automatic transmission and OpenCore would be the one with manual transmission.

The primary reason why I started to try and learn more about it is because the guys from Acidanthera (the people responsible for AppleALC, Lilu, WhateverGreen, VirtualSMC, etc) are the people behind OpenCore and that they will no longer verify their kexts for Clover compatibility going forward.

I have OpenCore working pretty well for my Z370 but just can't seem to get it working on my Z390... It's due to the lack of native NVRAM on the Z390. Even on Clover, it was difficult to find a working Aptio fix. On OpenCore, the Aptio fix is part of OpenCore itself so we can't try different Aptio fixes...

Yes, officially, OpenCore is still considered "beta".

I started to mess with OpenCore for my Z370 build when OpenCore 0.4.0 was available and just posted my OpenCore 0.5.1 EFI folder for the Z370 build.

There's a pretty steep learning curve to switch from Clover to OpenCore. If they were cars, Clover would be the one with automatic transmission and OpenCore would be the one with manual transmission.

The primary reason why I started to try and learn more about it is because the guys from Acidanthera (the people responsible for AppleALC, Lilu, WhateverGreen, VirtualSMC, etc) are the people behind OpenCore and that they will no longer verify their kexts for Clover compatibility going forward.

I have OpenCore working pretty well for my Z370 but just can't seem to get it working on my Z390... It's due to the lack of native NVRAM on the Z390. Even on Clover, it was difficult to find a working Aptio fix. On OpenCore, the Aptio fix is part of OpenCore itself so we can't try different Aptio fixes...

Yes, officially, OpenCore is still considered "beta".

You nailed in on the description. My z370 was easy. Well, mostly. OC made me go back and get rid of redundancy. Turns out I needed none of my name changes and far fewer kext and drivers. It felt good to learn a little more and clean house. I'm actually curious: what's the benefit of using a 390 over a 370?

Are you on the InsanelyMac OpenCore discussion? On the last page they're discussing NVRAM for z390 and OC. My guess is that thats the hang up. Something to do with "DisableVariableWrite=YES"

You nailed in on the description. My z370 was easy. Well, mostly. OC made me go back and get rid of redundancy. Turns out I needed none of my name changes and far fewer kext and drivers. It felt good to learn a little more and clean house. I'm actually curious: what's the benefit of using a 390 over a 370?

Are you on the InsanelyMac OpenCore discussion? On the last page they're discussing NVRAM for z390 and OC. My guess is that thats the hang up. Something to do with "DisableVariableWrite=YES"

In my opinion, the ONLY advantages of Z390 over Z370 are (1) better VRM and (2) support for 128GB RAM.

Other than that, hackintoshers are far better off with Z370 than Z390. Most people will never need 128GB RAM and, while improved VRM is nice, I'll take native NVRAM over better VRM. It's just way more compatible with macOS and hacking is much easier.

The only reason why I am on Z390 is because my Z370 would not wake from sleep with my Radeon VII installed. I tried everything and nothing worked, not even in Windows. There's just something about my particular Radeon VII and my particular Z370 motherboard...

I had previously purchased a Z390 motherboard to test Hackintosh on and deemed it a complete cluster**** and it sat in my closet for months. The Radeon VII caused me to pull it out and get it up and running. Yes, the combination of my Z390 and the Radeon VII sleep/wake perfectly... Go figure... :banghead:

Yes, I follow the discussion on InsanelyMac, but I don't post in that thread much because I'm still learning and don't have any help to offer yet... Better to stay quiet and thought a fool than to open my mouth and remove all doubt...

Yes, I already had DisableVariableWrites=Yes from the beginning but it didn't help with booting in to macOS. On Clover, I've tried to use the ported FwRuntimeServices driver but that also didn't work. So, my guess is that whatever implementation is being used in OpenCore for the Aptio fix simply isn't compatible with my setup yet.

I had previously purchased a Z390 motherboard to test Hackintosh on and deemed it a complete cluster**** and it sat in my closet for months. The Radeon VII caused me to pull it out and get it up and running. Yes, the combination of my Z390 and the Radeon VII sleep/wake perfectly... Go figure... :banghead:

Yes, I follow the discussion on InsanelyMac, but I don't post in that thread much because I'm still learning and don't have any help to offer yet... Better to stay quiet and thought a fool than to open my mouth and remove all doubt...
Thanks for the info on the z390. I've always been curious. Im guessing on board thunderbolt is a selling point for some.

It's almost more frustrating figuring out that two items work together when they're not supposed to but im glad you got it going. It drives me crazy when I can't say "everything works." That's where I am with thunderbolt. I already don't like that it doesn't appear native and it also has a few quirks and nuances that I wish I didn't know.

On said forum, yeah, I feel like I look like a jackass over there. It's a league above and I can barely help over here beyond simple questions. At my best, I can nudge someone in the right direction.

Thanks for the info on the z390. I've always been curious. Im guessing on board thunderbolt is a selling point for some.

It's almost more frustrating figuring out that two items work together when they're not supposed to but im glad you got it going. It drives me crazy when I can't say "everything works." That's where I am with thunderbolt. I already don't like that it doesn't appear native and it also has a few quirks and nuances that I wish I didn't know.

On said forum, yeah, I feel like I look like a jackass over there. It's a league above and I can barely help over here beyond simple questions. At my best, I can nudge someone in the right direction.

I don't think anyone can honestly claim "everything working" with Z390. No NVRAM is a big deal. The most important is that we don't get panic reports if/when the system crashes and reboots itself.

I did install a Thunderbolt 3 Titan Ridge card in to my Z390 and I do have a 10GBase-T Thunderbolt adaptor working with hot plug, but it doesn't seem quite "native". For example, this is what I see in System Information:
Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 8.21.52 AM.png

@pastrychef good point. I wonder if any of the 390's have NVRAM. I also wonder what the hell Apple actually uses for their no pro models.

Which card are you using? Im on the Asus EX3 using at TB2 to TB3 adapter for an Apollo interface. I've got the same System report but I did end up with this after some time. Hotplug works but sometimes I'll get a failed boot with the device on. Cold boot requires me to the whole unplug the power thing.

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 7.37.19 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back