Contribute
Register

How I got my full HD monitor on Skylake HD510 get working on ElCapitan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P
CPU
Intel Core i5-6402P
Graphics
IGP or 8800 GT
Hi all.

I just wanted to drop a note in hopes that someone may find it useful in the future.

Due too-complex-to-explain reasons, I traded for a Skylake Core i5-6402P processor with HD 510 IGP ( why Intel chose to release this processor with this IGP is a mistery, as it is an odd choice ) a few months ago and was using it on Windows 10. The CPU/motherboard combo was supposed to be used for software testing purposes and I planned to get a new VGA card like still-to-be-released Nvidia GTX 1050 series.

• For information purposes, my motherboard is Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P ( with a VGA, DVI and HDMI video output ports), boot drive Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, I have TP-Link WDN4800 wireless, a Realtek wired network and a 21,5" 1920x1080 LG V2250 LED monitor, using iMac 17,1 as base system.
  • I want to program a web based application, and all the books/tutorials are describing/using Mac OS as development platform; so I want to try out Mac OS for this purpose. I know that I can use Ubuntu as fallback option.

I am very new to Hackintosh and needed to start from scratch, without having access to a real Mac or Hackintosh, so ı could not use the methods described using UniBeast etc to create the boot/install USB. I downloaded some pre-created RAW images and failed at installing Sierra. Then found a Turkish site ( I'm Turkish as well ) with ElCapitan raw images for desktops ( including Skylake support) and laptop images ( https://www.technopat.net/sosyal/konu/os-x-el-capitan-raw-10-11-6-guencel-kurulum-imaji.255878/ ), burned it to a USB and after pondering for hours, I got the desktop computer working.

*** I was stuck at the step where the computer needs to boot from HDD/SSD, even I had repeated that step multiple times, I was only getting a blinking arrow and or "install a bootable drive etc." message. After a few hours of googling etc, it turned out that my Boot Settings in BIOS were detecting the drive as both UEFI and non-UEFI, and the same drive in non-UEFI mode was set as the first boot drive. I changed that to boot from UEFI first, and voila - I was able to boot from my SSD. Simple, but need to check before starting from HDD the first time ***

Sound is currently not working, when I try to inject sound drivers using Clover, it simply fails. I need to find another method to make it work.

My main problem was the HD 510 IGP, it is shown as having 3 MB of VRAM. And, possibly due to this, the screen resolution is stuck at 1024x768 pixels; no matter what I do ( including the Pixel Clock Patch and installing the custom screen resolution tool that was mentioned ), I can not change the screen resolution. Without full HD resolution, it is not workable for my purpose.

So, I sat down to write this mail, then it occurred to me that I was connecting all computers on my test bench through an old KVM switch that had only VGA ports and on some of those computers I was using DVI-VGA dongles.

I took out the VGA cable and connected the monitor directly to DVI port of motherboard. And now the screen resolution is working in 1920x1080 pixels, even in the Clover boot screen.

The video RAM is displayed as 7 MB now. It is set to 512 MB in BIOS tough.

I learned that tough Skylake HD 530 is supported to some degree, Skylake HD 510 is not supported in Hackintosh community - most probably due it not occuring that much.

If there is any chance to make HD 510 work correctly, please let me know.

Thanks for reading.

Try to inject Intel with platform-id = 0x19120000 and Fake id = 0x19128086 from Clover.
And use Intel_HD_Graphics Kext lastest version from Rehabman. Thats work with me.

I have this Intel HD 510 too but on my Asus laptop, I can get the QE/CI but only on external display (main screen is blank). Since you used Desktop PC maybe there will no problem for you.

You can check my thread about this topic on https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ng-with-external-monitor.204862/#post-1350108

Hi teknolive1, thanks for sharing.

It took me long to answer as trying out these settings messed with my installation and I had to reinstall 10.11.6 from scratch. No worries, I wanted to try reinstalling it anyway, so I meesed around my Sunday with this.

When I tried Fake ID: 0x19128086 and Platform ID:19120000, my monitor went black as well, and then somehow this setting got stuck; and I deleted some files etc and ended up with a non-booting Hackintosh. I even needed to format the installation USB as well. Then I installed from scratch and tried again.

Here are my results :

- Platform id --- Fake id result
0x19120000 --- 0x19128086 --> blank screen
0x19020000 --- 0x19028086 --> no change, graphics memory is 7 MB
0x19120000 --- 0x19028086 --> unusable, lots and lots of artifacts, but graphics memory shown ad 1536 MB

So, it did not work for me. Even tough the monitor is an external device, it did not work.

I am waiting for GTX 1050 come out - if it will have support and will have a DVI-I port, I will try that. If not, maybe a GTX 950 that has DVI-I port.

Best Regards,

Eyup

I solved my problem by installing the reference HD 5870 1GB DDR5 card I already had but did not use due PSU concerns.

I first wanted to purchase a second hand Quadro 4000, but during checking its compatibility, I noticed one of the references mentioning HD 5870 as natively supported. As most of the discussions are centered on making NVIDIA cards work, I had missed this big time.

I purchased a 700W Zalman 80+ PSU for US$ 60 from a fire sale, installed on the PC and then installed the HD 5870 card.

I did not need to do anything at all, the card was automatically detected bu Clover and El Capitan, without any additional hacks. Hardware acceleration etc are working correctly.

Altough it was repeated thousands of times on articles and messages I read, this time I really learned two lessons:
1) Don't mess with Hackintosh if you do not have a natively supported graphics card - don't purchase a CPU with HD 510, 515 etc - purchase the one with supported HD XXX
2) If you want to / need to use discrete graphics cards, purchase one that is natively supported. HD 5870 is almost on par with NVIDIA Geforce GTX 460/GTX 470/GTX 560 - and costs around $50 as second hand.

I just installed Civilization 6 on it, run benchmark and got 35 fps as result. Its enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back