Contribute
Register

How far can I take a Gigabyte Z87X-OC board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. iMac
I recently moved this board from Mojave to Catalina and it's solid as a rock. I have also attempted to put Big Sur and Monterey on it, but I get the message that "macos cannot be installed on this computer" in both cases. I really love this board - it ran for years on Mavericks before I went to Mojave, and Catalina seems just as solid as the rest of it, so I'd like to move on if possible.

Is there anyone out there who has this board and has either of those other two OSs installed successfully? Any chance Ventura will work?

Thanks!

The Intel HD4600 IGPU is supported up to Monterey, using the Mac Mini 7,1 SMBIOS.

See this guide for a similar Haswell Z87 system.

Ventura will only work in a Haswell system with a compatible discrete AMD GPU, with the IGPU disabled in the bios.

I recently moved this board from Mojave to Catalina and it's solid as a rock. I have also attempted to put Big Sur and Monterey on it, but I get the message that "macos cannot be installed on this computer" in both cases. I really love this board - it ran for years on Mavericks before I went to Mojave, and Catalina seems just as solid as the rest of it, so I'd like to move on if possible.

Is there anyone out there who has this board and has either of those other two OSs installed successfully? Any chance Ventura will work?

Thanks!
If you were using Clover as your bootloader, you need to switch to OpenCore if you want to run Big Sur or Monterey.

And as Edhawk said your system won't run Ventura unless you add a supported AMD graphics card (like my RX 580) to your system first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back