Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am building my first computer and I am happy that it will be a hackintosh. I plan to use the hackintosh for academic use and for coding. I will be running it with two monitors, one DVI and one HDMI, so I do not think the graphics card on the cpu is enough. I would also like for this computer to last awhile and eventually be able to dual boot some Linux distro. I think all these parts should be compatible for a hackintosh and I think this yields the needed performance. Please let me know what you think!

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($327.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($168.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($85.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($36.97 @ OutletPC)
Total: $964.59

I plan to use the hackintosh for academic use and for coding. I will be running it with two monitors, one DVI and one HDMI, so I do not think the graphics card on the cpu is enough. I would also like for this computer to last awhile and eventually be able to dual boot some Linux distro.
For coding and school work you really don't need a 4790K. I would save over a hundred dollars on the cpu by getting something like a core I5-4460 for about 180 dollars. The motherboard is also more than you really need for the intended use. The integrated HD4600 works fine for two monitors via HDMI and DVI. Really don't need a discrete gfx card for dual 1080p monitors.

Wouldn't the computer last longer if I put in a more powerful chip? I don't want to have to upgrade parts for a while and I think it may be better to have the power and not need it than to need it and not have it
Also would you say that these parts should be compatible for a successful build?

Wouldn't the computer last longer if I put in a more powerful chip? I don't want to have to upgrade parts for a while and I think it may be better to have the power and not need it than to need it and not have it

A 4690K or 4790K is only needed if you'll overclock the CPU for gaming or video editing. For your
intended use an I5-4460 will be just as fast. It will last you a long time. If you don't care about the
cost then get a K cpu but you won't be using it's full potential. Going with good quality SSDs in your
build will make the biggest difference in performance. Most of the time our Haswell refresh CPUs are
idling at 1-3% of capacity. You could also use the 130 or so dollars saved on the CPU on a Nvidia GPU
if the graphics quality is more important. If you really have to have a high CPU turbo clock speed (3.7)
then go with the I5-4590 CPU for about 20 dollars more than the 4460 costs.

Also would you say that these parts should be compatible for a successful build?

Whenever you choose all your parts from the current Buyer's Guide it's very likely to all work.
As long as you don't mix an X79 mobo with socket 1150 CPUs.

Alright I updated my parts list. I took your advice on the CPU since I really don't need to power, so I changed the CPU and the motherboard. I think this motherboard is more appropriate, but I am not sure since I have never really bought motherboards. Would it be better to go with the gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H for $124 or stick to the Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H?

New Part List:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($92.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($85.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($36.97 @ OutletPC)
Total: $725.58

How does this new list seem?
I am not sure if I still need the cooler, but it is fairly cheap so it can't hurt.
Also thanks for the help!

Looks good, saves you about 240 dollars and still has room for upgrades a few years
later if need be. The CM cooler is a good choice, not really necessary but it's a lot
quieter than the stock cooler. Will be good to have if you add a gfx card for gaming
purposes at some point in time. :thumbup:

But what about the motherboard issue. Would it be better to go with the gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H for $124 or stick to the Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back