Contribute
Register

How does one get past Mojave firmware requirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte EX58 UD3R
CPU
X5650
Graphics
Asus RX580 8GB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Two related questions:
How do we get around that firmware requirement to install Mojave?
How does one generate a 2012 (instead of 2010) Mac Pro 5,1 SIMBIOS?

I have been using a 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 SIMBIOS since building my system in 2010. It has been rock solid for the most part and updates have been uneventful. Today I tried Mojave and was eventually presented with the notice during install:

"To install MacOS Majave, a firmware update is required......"

I do have a metal capable GPU (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2047 MB). I think the 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 meets system requirements for Mojave.

The MacPro5,1 requires an update to its Thunderbolt firmware to install Mojave.
One way to avoid this with a Hackintosh is to change the system definition for the duration of the installation and then change it back.
Expect Clover to address this issue sometime soon.

Any ideas on how to generate a 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 SIMBIOS? Clover seems to only generate 2010.

Change just your board-ID to iMac14,2 / MacPro6,1 / etc for the install, then change back to MacPro5,1. This won't break any of your iMessage/software licenses, but will get around the firmware check. The check is only on the installer.

Change just your board-ID to iMac14,2 / MacPro6,1 / etc for the install, then change back to MacPro5,1. This won't break any of your iMessage/software licenses, but will get around the firmware check. The check is only on the installer.
Very helpful, thank you. Still stuck on how to achieve a 2012 instead of 2010 Mac Pro.

Yes, sorry I meant to say Clover Configurator seems to only generate 2010.
your Clover Configurator version was too old

Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 8.33.37 AM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back