Contribute
Register

How does one download the full High Sierra Beta installer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobodynose

Motherboard
ASRock Z370M Pro4
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
When I download it from the App Store, it says it's going to download a 4.9GB installer, but what it actually downloads is an 11.6MB installer stub. My assumption is that it wants to do the full download once I start installing, but I don't want to install directly on my main hackintosh, I have another one to play around with. So I need to download the actual 4.9GB installer which I can make a Unibeast USB installer from. But I'm not getting that option.

I went ahead and tried to run createinstallmedia with the proper options, but it gave me the error,
Code:
/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application.

Anyone else experienced this? What should I do?

P1LGRIM

Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkStation p700
CPU
2x E5-2620 V3
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Anyone else experienced this? What should I do?
Download the full installer and when it starts to install just quit out of it and the install app is left in /Applications.

nobodynose

Motherboard
ASRock Z370M Pro4
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Download the full installer and when it starts to install just quit out of it and the install app is left in /Applications.

I know that, the problem is that it thinks it's done downloading after about 11.6MB and starts to install. It's nowhere near downloading the full installer, and what's left in /Applications is useless.

P1LGRIM

Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkStation p700
CPU
2x E5-2620 V3
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I know that, the problem is that it thinks it's done downloading after about 11.6MB and starts to install. It's nowhere near downloading the full installer, and what's left in /Applications is useless.

That's strange, it worked for me that way.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Go to beta.apple.com , sign in and re-enroll your machine. I had this same issue trying to install from 10.12.6 Public Beta 5 which I guess means they are using different tracking.

nobodynose

Motherboard
ASRock Z370M Pro4
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Go to beta.apple.com , sign in and re-enroll your machine. I had this same issue trying to install from 10.12.6 Public Beta 5 which I guess means they are using different tracking.

That's what I did, and just tried again with the same results. But this time I captured the Installer.log to see if there was anything interesting in it (attached). It keeps complaining about there not being an extended attribute set (whatever that is), and it seems to have trouble determining whether my SSD is an SSD. No smoking gun from what I can see though.

Attachments

• Installer_log.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 284

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
That's what I did, and just tried again with the same results. But this time I captured the Installer.log to see if there was anything interesting in it (attached). It keeps complaining about there not being an extended attribute set (whatever that is), and it seems to have trouble determining whether my SSD is an SSD. No smoking gun from what I can see though.
When you got to the download screen after signing in and enrolling your Mac did you first download macOS High Sierra public beta access utility and install it? When I did this it took me to the App Store download where I clicked on the Get button and it downloaded just fine.

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac