Contribute
Register

How do Updates work with a mackintosh? What can I and can't I install without causing issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ga-q77m-d2h
CPU
Intel i5 3570
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 660
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I just built my Hackintosh PC. I love it, and as of right now everything works perfect! My question is, as far as using the app store to update my computer, what can I and can't I update without causing kernel panics for example. Can I do Mac OSX security updates, or just updates for individual applications like iphoto or iTunes. Thanks :)

Can I do Mac OSX security updates, or just updates for individual applications like iphoto or iTunes. Thanks :)

Hard to tell....I just saw an issue with a guy having problems after a security update....but since there are so many hardware combos...it's probably hard to say with any degree of certainty..

I would back up a bootable drive - then upgrade - that way if it doesn't work or causes problems....you just clone your backup onto your main drive again....and you are back in the game.

Hi,

additionally to the information already provided by YYR123 - the less additional non-Vanilla Kexts you are using the better. If you need to use a lot of patched Kexts things are more likely to break as you often don't know which parts of the OS are being patched by Apple.

You are probably on the safest side if you perform a Clonezilla Backup of your drive before applying any updates. If you know how to manually fix things in Safe mode (replace Kexts, tweak config files, ...) you will probably never need the created Backup. But it's good to have one just in case something goes horribly wrong.

egrath

I actually didn't use any kexts as my motherboard is a UEFI board

Hi, I just built my Hackintosh PC. I love it, and as of right now everything works perfect! My question is, as far as using the app store to update my computer, what can I and can't I update without causing kernel panics for example. Can I do Mac OSX security updates, or just updates for individual applications like iphoto or iTunes. Thanks :)

You should be backing up your system using Time Machine or a similar app, that way you have a certain safety net. All computers users need to backup valuable data.

It is safe to update security updates and updates for individual applications like iPhoto and iTunes. When doing OS X updates always repair permissions before and after you use the Combo update feature. Never use the built in software update from Apple.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/354-os-x-10-8-4-update.html

Adrian B

I always back up my computer with Time Machine. I already have 10.8.4 installed on my computer. I have one of these apple security updates that came through. Is this still included in the 8.4 combo update? Also, what advantages would I have doing a combo update vs a regular software update? If I have a kernel panic, how would I restore my computer with time machine? Thanks very much sorry for so many questions haha :)

Screen Shot 2013-09-10 at 9.13.20 PM.png

I always back up my computer with Time Machine. I already have 10.8.4 installed on my computer. I have one of these apple security updates that came through. Is this still included in the 8.4 combo update? Also, what advantages would I have doing a combo update vs a regular software update? If I have a kernel panic, how would I restore my computer with time machine? Thanks very much sorry for so many questions haha :)

You can install the security update without any issues, its for wifi and the new time capsule etc. It is generally understood that using the combo updates is less likely to brake your system and as you only install one at a time safer to do when running a hack.

Its good that you are using Time Machine and backing up, that means that if you main drive went down you still have all of your data/settings. How you would restore your computer would depend on how/what had happened/gone wrong.

Lets say that your main hard disc failed and died. You would replace that drive and use Disk Utility to reinstate the installation with your backed up data. Keep your USB UniBeast flash drive in a safe place too.

You may have a more minor problem, but you could boot using single user mode and use terminal to get back up and running. You might get to the desktop using the simple boot flag -x and be able to solve the problem.

I use an app called Carbon Copy Cloner in addition to my Time Machine backup it backs up my main SSD drive. If my main drive went down I have a second up to date disc that I could use on hand instantly.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/173-backup-solutions-your-mac-customac.html

Adrian B

thanks for the quick and detailed response :) I really appreciate it. As soon as im done backing up now ill probably do the update, whenever I do it ill post how it goes. Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back