Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Since building my hackintosh a few years ago... I have not updated it scared that it would wipe everything out. Currently it is OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.5

At this point I'm required to update it (and want to) becasue I cannot use Dropbox unless its updated to the latest OSX

How should I go about updating the system? Do I just simply hit the "upgrade" notification button? OR do i have to do some special procedures?

Please also note, this system is dual boot, so I'm unsure how that affects things.
Would appreciate any help with this.

My current hardware:
Mobo: gigabyte Z97X-UD3H Black
GPU: eVGA (Nvidia) Geforce GTX 970
CPU: Processor i7 4790K

You will need newer versions of hackintosh essential kexts and Clover to be able to upgrade to Mojave. You can always test out Mojave on a new clean SSD or HDD and see how it works for you. Is your Windows install on the same drive or a separate one ?

The GTX 970 will of course not work because there are no Nvidia drivers yet. You can use the HD4600 igfx instead.

Windows is on the drive but the drive is partitioned
If Mohave does not support Nvidia, what doesn it mean to use HD4600 igfx?

Windows is on the drive but the drive is partitioned
If Mohave does not support Nvidia, what doesn it mean to use HD4600 igfx?
If you've got Windows on the same drive, it makes things more complicated. Try clean installing Mojave to a new SSD with the other drive disconnected. HD4600 is the Intel integrated graphics on the CPU. It will work when you change the BIOS to use integrated graphics instead of Nvidia discrete graphics. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ojave-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.259381/

Please enter your hardware components in your Personal Details section of your account as per the Rules: Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you. They are only for listing components and details of your primary system you are seeking assistance for.

Desktop profile field recommendations:

• Motherboard: limited to manufacturer, model, UEFI/BIOS version and boot loader separated by "-", i.e. ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming - 1002 - Clover UEFI. For Pre-built computers state the PC make model and form factor i.e. HP 8300 SFF - Dell 7010 MT.
• CPU: limited to model number and clock speed if over-clocked, i.e. i7-8700 or i7-8700K OC 4.5 GHz.
• Graphics: limited to model, i.e. GTX 1070, R9 570, HD 4000, HD 630 or GTX 1060 / HD 630.

Hi,

Just to piggy back onto this as I'm in the same situation coming from El Capitan but with no dual boot...

Is the classification of my mac an issue? It's currently showing as Mac Pro 2008 but read somewhere only to download Mojave for certain older pro designations. Also, once I sorted out the newer kexts and clover should I then update via the app store (I have no dual boot, an external audio interface and currently onboard graphics are fine) or would it be better to do a clean install as I'm so far behind?

I have been putting time into researching this but a little personal guidance would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

You will need newer versions of hackintosh essential kexts and Clover to be able to upgrade to Mojave.
Is the new APFS disk format an issue if coming from ElCapitan?
My disk is in OS X Extended, system definition iMac 14,2

Is the new APFS disk format an issue if coming from ElCapitan?
My disk is in OS X Extended, system definition iMac 14,2
It will get auto-converted to APFS when you install Mojave. No way around that happening.

It will get auto-converted to APFS when you install Mojave. No way around that happening.
Thank you for the advice. Is the conversion automatic?

It will get auto-converted which means automatic, yes.
Oh yes my bad it slipped me.
I have set up two SSDs, one with Mac and the other with Windows. At the moment Clover during startup gives me the option to boot from either drive. By changing the disk format I'm worried data will be wiped from the Mac SSD. Is this something to worry about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back