Contribute
Register

How do I migrate from a Macbook HD to a SSD and NAS setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I've grown out of my hard drive and am moving to an SSD. It's only 250 GB while my new NAS will be 10 TB.

My old setup is a 750GB Internal HD. It's filled up to about 650GB or so. Obviously this won't fit on a SSD in entirely. Here is the rest of the breakdown:

546.91 GB Home Folder

• 30.53 GB music folder
  • 91 GB picture folder
  • 335.7 GB movie folder with 258 GB of movies and tv shows

In addition to this I have two external hard drives. One with 650GB of photos and the other with 350GB of music.

My new setup is that I am going to have a 250 GB SSD (for applications and system) and the following drives in my NAS:

• 2 3TB WD Red HD's
  • 2 2TB WD Drives

I am most worried about migrating my data. My home folder is too large to just throw on the SSD and I don't want to lose any data if possible. I have backups but want to get this setup efficiently. Any help would be appreciated.

This is how I did it. I copied all of my files to the NAS such as movies, pictures, videos, etc. Then I removed it off the hard drive and ran the backup from Time Machine. When I installed the new SSD and restored from Time Machine, everything was just as it was with all the media on the NAS.

Thanks for the reply but that doesn't make much sense. How does your SSD know where the stuff is stored? Just saying. Would like some clarification.

I moved all my videos onto a home NAS to free up space on my main computer and also so that the files could be accessed by any device (iPad, XBMC connected to the TV) even when the office computer is off.

I have the NAS directory show up as a network drive on any Mac when I am connected to home wifi, so can access the files easily whenever I want. It is possible to also set up the NAS so files can be accessed over the net when away from home, but I have not enabled that as I don't want the security risk from opening up my systems outside of my home network. One could set up symlinks to make the file access seem more transparent, as if they are in your home folder, which might be important for some types of files.

I found the NAS to be a real bonus that simplified things for me. I have a Synology NAS, which has quite easy to use and well supported software.

I also have a Time Machine backup for my laptop through the NAS, but have not tested recovery from it (I also have a hard drive TM backup). The NAS one happens automatically whether I remember or not, while the other one requires me to plug in the external HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back