Contribute
Register

How do i get iogear GBU521 and apple BT keyboard to work in bios, or at least in chimera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z370-PRO GAMING
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
How do i get iogear GBU521 and apple BT keyboard to work in bios, or at least in chimera.

I have a dual boot with Lion and w7 on 2 separate ssd:s.

GBU521 worked out of the box with apple BT keyboard both in Lion and W7.

But there is no use since i cant choose what os i want to boot when i get to chimera

any fix to this?

Unfortunately, that is an issue, since the BT drivers don't get loaded until there's an OS. It must be possible, since wireless usb keyboards and mice can be used on some motherboards, but like you, I haven't found any that support BT at the bios level. Looks like a project for MacMan and other bootstrap developers ;-)

I can confirm that GBU512 dose NOT work in bios.

Some blue tooth dongles seems work in bios , that is if the have HID Proxy.

can anyone confirm a BT-dongle that seems to work both in bios and in osx?

guess i can keep the GBU512 and put another bt-dongle in so i can get past the boot screen

why is it in the GBU512 recommended in the buyers guide? is it only because of wake from sleep?

I can confirm that GBU512 dose NOT work in bios.

Some blue tooth dongles seems work in bios , that is if the have HID Proxy.

can anyone confirm a BT-dongle that seems to work both in bios and in osx?

guess i can keep the GBU512 and put another bt-dongle in so i can get past the boot screen

why is it in the GBU512 recommended in the buyers guide? is it only because of wake from sleep?

I contacted IOGear technical support and they told me the GBU521 DOES have HID Proxy. Of course I've never tested it out since I don't have a bluetooth keyboard, but now that I think about it, my Apple Magic Mouse doesn't work in the UEFI BIOS on my Gigabyte motherboard, while there is always a mouse cursor in the center of the screen as if it expects to find a mouse. So either IOGear tech support lied to me or HID Proxy isn't working.

Has anyone figured this out? I recently got a GBU521 and Apple BT keyboard. However, I get stuck at the Chimera bootloader screen because my keyboard isn't recognized. I need to have a second keyboard just so I can boot.

I had a Belkin F8TO16 dongle and I was able to work in Chimera, i.e. select which partition to boot, Mac or Windows 8. Switched to the more recommended GBU521 and now I understand the problem. Can't get past Chimera without plugging in a USB keyboard.

I seem to be able to find very few answers to questions. Only threads like this - I'm about ready to shell out for a real Mac. FWIW, the Windows 8 has wake from sleep problems so maybe its a Gigabyte/Apple keyboard kind of problem.

I've rerun Multibeast so maybe that broke things. Will try the F8TO16 back into machine tomorrow.

edit:
Swapped the F8TO16 back into Mac and everything is fine.
Put the IOGEAR in wife's XP box.

Really shouldn't be recommending GBU521 - useless for dual boot.

To be clear (and because I'm not absolutely clear on terminology), I can't hold down the "delete" key when the computer is booting and then get into the bios. My wireless keyboard only seems to work at the point in Chimera where you can select which partition to boot.

Tried looking for a F8TO16 and it's gone from retail stores (at least in Google search). Only a few sellers on eBay in the UK. Wondering if it's worthwhile stocking up for the future?

To be clear (and because I'm not absolutely clear on terminology), I can't hold down the "delete" key when the computer is booting and then get into the bios. My wireless keyboard only seems to work at the point in Chimera where you can select which partition to boot.

Tried looking for a F8TO16 and it's gone from retail stores (at least in Google search). Only a few sellers on eBay in the UK. Wondering if it's worthwhile stocking up for the future?

There are plenty of USB dongles that are known to work with OSX. The GBU521 is very expensive in Europe. These are available easily in Europe : Belkin F8T065bf or
GMYLE BT4 Adaptor. Having a wired USB keyboard as a backup can never go a miss either. I do have an F8T016 BT adaptor - I don't think it worked in the UEFI Bios from memory.

Adrian B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back