Contribute
Register

HOW DO I GET 2560 X 1440 USING A GTX960 & HOW DO I increase BOOTLOADER SCREEN RESOLUTION?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB4
CPU
i7-11700
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I want to be clear is the only fix for this the and setting resolution higher in clover configurator will not change boot loader screen rez which is extremely low? Is only the Core display patcher necessary according to the table?
mac-pixel-clock-patch-V

The Pixel Clock Patch is for OS X only, it won't change pre-OS graphics output. It'll allow you to exceed artificial bandwidth limitations, enabling higher resolutions (most useful on HDMI connections).

The graphics output in UEFI environment is determined by your graphics card and your UEFI. Disabling CSM should usually force your motherboard to use your GPUs EFI driver, which should drive your screen at its full resolution.
If you can't disable CSM (e.g. because of a legacy Windows install) similar can be achieved by installing the "CsmVideDxe" driver in Clover.

The Pixel Clock Patch is for OS X only, it won't change pre-OS graphics output. It'll allow you to exceed artificial bandwidth limitations, enabling higher resolutions (most useful on HDMI connections).

The graphics output in UEFI environment is determined by your graphics card and your UEFI. Disabling CSM should usually force your motherboard to use your GPUs EFI driver, which should drive your screen at its full resolution.
If you can't disable CSM (e.g. because of a legacy Windows install) similar can be achieved by installing the "CsmVideDxe" driver in Clover.
Ok lets be clear here, I have a Dell U2715H which has a native res of 2560 x 1440. I and running a dual boot machine with 2 separate drives & this is a GA Z97 Gaming 7 with OSX 10.11.6 using the latest Clover, booting UEFI with all set to boot UEFI. OSX is on a Samsung 850 Pro 500 gb and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit is on a Kingston HyperX Predator 480Gb on a PCIE card. There is nothing set to legacy Boot and there is no CSM setting really, on a Gigabyte Board, it is ether UEFI or Legacy or Both or one or the other, first. Mine is set for UEFI boot only, other boards like Asus and MSI may have a CSM setting with that exact term "CSM" but not Gigabyte. CSM is most ofter seen on Laptop bioses not desktop after-market boards and especially not Gigabyte. I have Windows 10 version 1607 with the same HDMI cable at full resolution which is being delivered by the MSI GTX 960 using the latest Nvida driver for Windows 10. Not so with the Nvidia web driver for the Mac. My res is fixed at 2048 x 1152 which is not the Native res. The Bootloader res and Icons is something like 1920 x 1080 so Icons are Giant and grainy at the clover bootloader screen. I checked my bios setting and my option Rom was set for both, and I reset to UEFI only, and no change in what's available on the Mac side. When I go to display settings in Systems preferences I have, when I click the scaled button, the following 2048 x 1152, 1600 x 900 and 700P and nothing else. I just mounted my EFI partition and opened my Config Plist with Clover Configurator and the CsmVudeDxe driver is not installed, and would not be, by default with Multibeast, are you saying this will cure the problem. I am not running with scaled signal button clicked and res is set at 2048 x 1152 by the OS instead of 2560 x 1440 which is native as it is in Windows 10.
SCREEN%20RESOLUTIONS_zpsypyj6rcm.png

MONITOR%20RES_zpspifrv3j8.png

WIN%2010%20PRO%20REZ_zps45hvapdo.png

Last edited:
Add the CsmVudeDxe driver and also within clover configurator (can't recall where right now) you can set your resolution to 2560x1440. That should do it for you...

HDMI is often limited to 1080p in OS X. The Pixel Clock Patch will solve that issue, but I prefer DisplayPort connections, as they usually work without any hacks.

Regarding your boot resolution: If your BIOS splash screen & UEFI menu is in low resolution, too, then it's an issue caused by your BIOS or video card. Any of the two methods I mentioned should fix it. Otherwise it's most likely just a misconfigured Clover config.plist.

Thanks Flor!an, I had a DP to mini DP cable hanging around and switched over, and full res on Mac side, also shrunk bootloader icons somewhat, much less grainy. It Reset my Display preference on Windows side to 100 from 125 percent, but easy to reset. The proprietary engineering program I work with daily on Windows side has to be 125% or it is too small to draw properly. Now if I just get the coders to fix the Windows 10 problems with it not being wysiwyg when printing that was not there with 7 and 8.1, all would be great with world. I will probably switch to a DP to Dp cable, as it is nice to have the button locks on both end of the cable. I had a Dp to Hdmi cable as well, if going Dp out the card to the monitor I wonder if it would work as well, but I doubt it, is it is not bi-directional, and it says it only supports 1920 x 1080 on the instruction sheet for that cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back