Contribute
Register

How do I enable built-in intel graphics adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
IBM M50
CPU
3GHz
Graphics
Nvidia
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Newbie here but very excited as I had success installing Lion on Lenovo Desktop. I used the UniBeast method and then installed sound and network fine. Now trying to get better resolution than 1024x768.

I am not really sure how to tell exact graphics card model. So I booted using Xubuntu and tried lshw. As per the lshw output it is built-in Intel Graphics Adapter and I also saw i915 mentioned there. At this point how do I enable higherresolution as well as QE/CI?

BTW I don't see this particular adapter as unsupported under Graphics card section of the Wiki so hopefully I can get it working.

Friends, is this an unsupported or invalid configuration? Any ideas about where I can start?

is there any chance to pop in any cheap discrete video card inside your lenovo? maybe that do the trick.

alux said:
is there any chance to pop in any cheap discrete video card inside your lenovo? maybe that do the trick.

Thanks alux. I can try that. So just to understand, built-in graphics doesn't work in general?

Update: I misspoke earlier. I actually have Intel GMA 4500. I am going to try steps in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29005&hilit=GMA+4500. Hope it works.

BTW, I also have a separate machine where I have GMA 3100 and from the Wiki and forum discussions GMA 3100 looks like a better bet. Is that right?

I hope I did not get you off the track I thought I was replying to a post on a Dell Optiplex GX280 ....

System Info url = http://olarila.com/
this app works in windows ,mac or hack, and linux
at the site kexts that work or don't work are detailed.

4500 is a dead end unfortunately...

Some 3100 video does work....Check at Tony Mac for Apple used hardware or at OSX86
for Apple HW.

There are some USB video out devices in the pc world...
I do not have a clue as to if they exist for MAC.

No you didn't get me off track. In fact I am searching for the graphics card as you suggested but based on the power supply in my machine.

Regarding 4500, I tried various things and the steps mentioned in the thread above but not much luck. Actually with those steps I see a better looking boot screen with shiny Apple logo but later the screen defaults to 1024x76 resolution. My graphics adapter device ID 0x2e12 doesn't match with the ID in recommended kext and I think that probably is the issue.

In any case, I could actually set the Graphics Mode in com.apple.boot... file and then I see pretty decent graphics. Unfortunately any resolution higher than 1280x1024 (e.g. 1680x1050) doesn't work. Do you by chance know why?

BTW, I found this card and I think this is same as you recommended but from different vendor. Would this work in my machine?

bandoba

When chameleon boots you can check video sizes supported...
You can pass this at boot time or modify the boot.plist file to reflect what you want.

You can only use vesa supported resolutions..I think max is 1600 by 1200 @ 32
There is a wide screen size available.

At kexts.com there is a kext written in Dutch for 4500...it will give you other resolutions but no Quartz etc...

There was some development about a year ago on 4500...
I think it wwas Italian but written in English
It was aimed at laptop wide screen resolutions ...this was at osx86 I think or forum at kexts.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back