Contribute
Register

How do I change from HD3000/HD4000 to dedicated video card as only GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomR

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I've done a couple searches & can't seem to find any threads to help with my particular use case, so I thought I'd pose the issue/question:

On my Music Studio v2.0 build, I want to install a dedicated GPU to the build, and use that as my only video source. Basically - switch from HD 4000 graphics for my MDP Cinema Display to a dedicated GPU with MDP. I purchased the XFX Radeon Double D R9 270X from a local retailer. One of the reasons I went with this card is because a) it has 2 MDPs, and b) it supports 4K via DP and HDMI. I'm hoping that Santa brings me a new 4K TV or monitor for Christmas...I've been a VERY good boy. :D

Not wanting to mess up my working music studio build in the middle of mixing a project for my dad, I decided to "practice" with another box that runs Plex Media Server as well as Indigo Domotics. I keep a spare SSD laying around for such experimentation, so cloned the media server's working boot drive, and then installed that as the experimental boot drive. BTW, media server is GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 + i5 2500K + 8GB RAM + Mavericks 10.9.4 + MultiBeast 6.5.0.

Steps I followed (still booting from HD 3000 - connected to 1080P monitor via DVI): 1. Changed "Graphics Enabler" to "No" in org.chameleon.boot.plist...then rebuilt disk permissions; 2. Rebooted & went into UEFI (v.U1c.. not BIOS): Set Init Display First to PCI, set Internal Graphics to Disabled. Saved & exited UEFI. 3. Powered off machine, then installed new GPU. 4. Connected monitor to DVI port of new GPU, then rebooted.

Results: POST screen displayed per normal, then when I'd normally see a little spinning cursor in the upper left corner, I now get 3 short lines of code, followed by a whole bunch of gibberish....and then I'm locked up :thumbdown: Of course after a couple reboots & getting the same thing, I changed it all back to HD 3000, and the machine boots up just like always. So I re-ran the process above, only to get the same results. Note: I do not even get to the Chameleon boot screen where I can boot in -v or -x safe mode. The machine locks up at all the gibberish.

Troubleshooting round 1: Could I have a bad card? Hmmm...not sure. So I dig out a Asus ATI Radeon HD6450 that I have laying around and swap it for the XFX R9 270X. BINGO...it boots up just fine. Then I think: Well, maybe because I get the gibberish before I even get to Chameleon boot screen, maybe there is something that is missing/not correct in Chimera.

Troubleshooting round 2: So I pull out the ASUS HD6450 and put the XFX R9 270X back in. Then I dig out my UniBeast install key, pop that in & try booting again. I'll be D*&$ED!! It boots just fine into the Mavericks installer. So there MUST be something sort of "vanilla" about the UB key that lets the boot process get past the point where things used to halt & display gibberish.

Again, all the searches that I did were about folks adding a GPU to the system & wanting to do multiple monitors with both HD 3000/HD 4000 *and* their GPU cards. But that's not my situation. So if anyone has an idea on how to get this to work, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance for your time wading through the above & for your feedback!!
:thumbup:

--BoomR

AMD HD7xxx/R7/R9 does not boot Legacy

Could Clover (UEFI mode + GOP BIOS on the GPU) be a solution in this scenario?

No 4K@60Hz with a R9 270X
AMD HD7xxx/R7/R9 does not boot Legacy, see tonymacx86 - Install Bootloader and Extra to EFI Partition
Discrete graphics as primary, see AMD/Nvidia Primary Display with AirPlay Mirroring on Mavericks
If no interest in AirPlay Mirroring, disable BIOS/IGFX and remove IGFX boot flags.

Thanks, Toleda - I know that there is no 4K@60Hz with this card, but there should be 4K at 24Hz or 30Hz, and that should be fine for now...until we get a compatible GPU card with 4K/60Hz support.

Do you think I would have better luck with one of the cards on the Buyer's Guide, then re: Legacy boot?

Do you think I would have better luck with one of the cards on the Buyer's Guide, then re: Legacy boot?
Nvidia works with Legacy boot. For DP:
1. GTX 760 or higher
2. GTX 650 or higher

If you do something now, plan on an upgrade later.

Nvidia works with Legacy boot. For DP:
1. GTX 760 or higher
2. GTX 650 or higher

If you do something now, plan on an upgrade later.

Thanks Toleda - and yes, I knew that I would need to upgrade, once HDMI 2.0 is available in dedicated GPU cards & also supported in CustoMac. I remember reading a while back that there are some added steps or "issues" with the "Ti" version of the GTX cards...is that still the case?

So I returned the XFX Radeon card & bought one of these last night. Then, based on the instructions kindly provided by Toleda, I did the following on my "test system" (Ivy Bridge build/HD 3000 graphics - see specs in OP):
  1. Edited org.chameleon.boot.plist & set "Graphics Enabler" to "No"... save, then reboot (already had macmini5 as profile).
  2. Enter UEFI. In UEFI, set Init First Graphics to: PCI
  3. In UEFI, set Internal Graphics to: Enable.
  4. Save/Exit/power off.
  5. Install card, then connect HD monitor via DVI.
  6. Boot.

Result: Long beep....then 3 short beeps...and no video. Whoops. Video issues. Reconnecting DVI to motherboard - DVI yielded nothing (for some reason), so I ended up having to reset CMOS. Reconnected DVI to the GTX 660 and booted.

VIDEO! - went into UEFI and configured per Step 3 of Mavericks Install Guide. Save/Exit/Reboot.

MORE VIDEO!! All the way to Mavericks desktop!

I hope it will be that simple with my Music Studio 2.0 build. I do not need Airplay mirroring, so that should eliminate the complexities of the IGPEnabler=Yes and setting of IGPlatformID for HD4000, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back