1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Had 10.6 upgraded to 10.71 all good
deleted or damaged (not physically) on my boot drive
Now it wont boot.
what do i do i tried Iboot but no go it gets me to choose a drive of which i have 2 but neither drive will boot one freezes the other kernel panaics saying something about AHCP or something or maybe AHCI
this use to work with both SL and Lion
what is the proper way of booting Lion? I dont want to have to wipe the drive if i can help it.

you may want to check your bios. hell you might even need to update your bios if thats the case. the bios might be corrupted so i would re-flash your bios, reconfigure the bios, "hard" format your hard drive (NOT a quick format, just a clean installation), check your cd drive just incase (get one of those external dvd drives i.e. buffalo), then after setting the storage conf to ACHI from IDE (if that option is not in the bios this prob wont work) try iboot again

ive been a computer repair technician for 20 years

kylexla said:
you may want to check your bios. hell you might even need to update your bios if thats the case. the bios might be corrupted so i would re-flash your bios, reconfigure the bios, "hard" format your hard drive (NOT a quick format, just a clean installation), check your cd drive just incase (get one of those external dvd drives i.e. buffalo), then after setting the storage conf to ACHI from IDE (if that option is not in the bios this prob wont work) try iboot again

ive been a computer repair technician for 20 years

i know it was something deleted from the drive i tried swapping my mirrored drive but the boot part wont be copied so it didnt work
bios is all perfect set as should be and the dvd drive is new i can get to boot to the choices screen iboot and my 2 hd's thats when it goes wrong iboot and original drive achi kernal panic and other drive starts to boot and stops at grey screen.
ive done alot of tech work professionally myself it just seems iboot doesnt like lion or something

but your saying the boot file worked before this update happened

either if this was from the update or your computer that doesnt work well with the software, then you might want to do a clean installation with lion instead. back everything up on a thumb drive or some storage device but before you do that, i would get another hd just to test this clean installation instead of using a mac update. rebuild your hackintosh but with the lion's InstallESD.dmg file this time. burn this file to a dvd or create a bootable thumb drive

we want to see if its either from the update software from 10.6 to 10.71, or from the hardware itself that refused to work with unfamiliar lion software

once you find the problem do the same thing with your original hdd

hope this helps

kylexla said:
but your saying the boot file worked before this update happened

either if this was from the update or your computer that doesnt work well with the software, then you might want to do a clean installation with lion instead. back everything up on a thumb drive or some storage device but before you do that, i would get another hd just to test this clean installation instead of using a mac update. rebuild your hackintosh but with the lion's InstallESD.dmg file this time. burn this file to a dvd or create a bootable thumb drive

we want to see if its either from the update software from 10.6 to 10.71, or from the hardware itself that refused to work with unfamiliar lion software

once you find the problem do the same thing with your original hdd

hope this helps

it was not an update but was an accident where certain and i have no idea which , files got deleted on the boot drive i have a second drive that is a superduper copy of the first and had been backed up a week before and had lion on it ok but now running iboot it wont boot either and trying to start without iboot i dont get to choose a start disk even. if it ever stuffed up before i would just choose my other hard drive and be back up asap but no go now. i expected to throw in iboot and reboot up off the second drive whih is intact but no go lion doesnt seem to allow me to do this

and other people say that lion is easier to install then snow leopard *sigh*

im gonna try this out myself. ill lets you know how it goes

What i boot are you using? I don't think there's a Lion iboot from this website anyway. Other websites, of course.
Do you still have a SL DVD? if you can get to terminal you can reinstall the boot loader:
viewtopic.php?f=169&t=29898

However, it may be an entirely different kettle, as your partition map might need rebuilding. Try using test disk to do this.

You might want to try to boot with iBoot, then your original OSX install disk (as if you were installing OSX) then run disk repair from disk utilities. Could work.

ok so there is no iboot for lion i must of missed something then, what am i suppose to use once you have lion installed if iboot doesnt work? how do i get it started as it wont boot to the initial hard drive choices menu.. yes i do have snow leaopard disk still but running 10.7 lion. I can try to use iboot then boot from SL. its f5 isnt it? but i cant choose iboot from the menu choices as it panics. i never had any issues with this sort of stuff with SL if i screwed something iboot would always work and then id just choose the other drive. I always keep one drive running ok and then do updates so i can restore from that older drive if it mucks up but this time it didnt work.
so whats the correct new proceedure if iboot is no good now i have Lion ?

thanks for everyones help
really appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back