1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I had the window open earlier and my room got quite cool... So I wanted to see what my CPU temps were at idle and full load. These are all time bests for me. Lol

IMG_7245.JPG Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 9.26.14 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 10.07.17 AM.png

Under normal room temperatures (~23-24C/~75F), it idles at ~21C/81F and ramps up to about ~68C/154F.

I'm running an i7 6700K @ 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-D15S (dual fan config).

Well @pastrychef , you have a nicely Overclocked system there! :) Must be pushing some Watts into that CPU to get the speed up and even with a Noctua, getting 'warm'!

My own build runs very coolly most of the time -

CPU = 21C to 31C with an ambient of around 23C (but it's only a 47Watt CPU)
GPU = 25C - not seen a change more than a degree either way.
SSD = 28C-35C
HD = 23C-34C

... though I don't do much gaming at all. Heaviest load is probably when running Parallels and a big VM. Noisiest part of my system is the GPU fan, especially when the data HD spins down. Noctua cooling fan and Corsair PSU very quiet indeed.

My system runs at (room temp + 2-3 Celsius) idling without AMD6870. Max is about 65 C(heavy FCP rendering)
With AMD6870(40C @ idle), temps rise slightly to say room temp + 5 C.
Comparable to your system, Pastrychef.

CPU = 21C to 31C with an ambient of around 23C (but it's only a 47Watt CPU)

Wow! 21C - 31C is great! Is it safe to assume that you are using a water cooler?

I used the Asus AI Suite to do the overclocking and it set the voltage to 1.375. I tried manually doing adjustments once but never achieved results as good as what the AI Suite had, so I left well enough alone.

I have no idea why, but the Noctua heatsink still remains cool to the touch even when the CPU is pushed 100%. I did delid my CPU and used CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra between the die and IHS and again between the IHS and Noctua.

I'm using a huge Noctua D15 with 2 fans in a Fractal Design R5 case with 2 standard fans. Cool and quiet.
@pastrychef: Maybe 4.7 overclock is lots more watts/heat for very little gain? I'm running at 4.6 GHz currently... 4.7 works too, but my Geekbench hardly rises but temps do...

I'm very curious how the CPU of a system can have a lower temp than the environment... Even with my fans at full bore CPU temps will never be the same/lower than room temp.

I use the NH-D15S. The "S" version of this heatsink has an asymmetrical design so that it doesn't block the first PCI-e slot on ITX and mATX motherboard. Yes, like you, I love this heatsink.

On my overclock, I saw some very nice benchmark results and was reluctant to forego them. Lol
Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 4.44.18 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 4.47.32 PM.png

I believe the only way to have your CPU run below ambient temperature is with the use the liquid cooling.

These are great overclock scores, and certainly better than mine.
What did you do exactly? You made your own ssdt with Piker's shell script?? I used one I found here at Tonymac's... My CPU properly speedsteps and runs at 4.7 max, but my Geekbench score is about 19k.
What are your overclocking settings in your BIOS like? I don't have the same mobo, but maybe it will give me some ideas.
High single core values will benefit the all-important real time thread in my DAW software

Last edited:
I just used the Asus AI Suite software and let it do all the overclocking and fan tuning. When I checked BIOS, it had set my CPU voltage to 1.375v and RAM to 3466MHz. As I stated earlier, I tried manually making adjustments and was never able to come close to replicating the success achieved by the AI Suite so I left well enough alone.

Keep in mind that I had delidded my CPU and this helped it run much cooler. Prior the the delidding, the highest overclock I was able to achieve was 4.7GHz and heat was considerably higher even though overclock was lower.

Hm. I did all my overclocking 'by hand' in the BIOS. Maybe I should try the Gigabyte tuning tools in Windows.
My goal was to reach a 20k Geekbench with this build, I'm still a little short.

At one point, I had it set to 4.6GHz and it was still over 20K. I think the RAM plays a considerable roll to the overall score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back