Contribute
Register

How Compatible Are Most Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't I haven't installed Big Sur yet, thats why I ask :)

Remember both Catalina and Big Sur are 64-bit only, so if you have any 32-bit apps or plug-ins, then Mojave is the latest compatible.

Other than that Big Sur is early beta so maybe to soon to tell. I plan on buying a cheap 120gb SSD, installing BS and experimenting with that.

:)

I can't I haven't installed Big Sur yet, thats why I ask :)
But only you know your workflow and what is critical in that workflow of yours, requiring to function reliably, beta software certainly not, beyond that I, for sure, am not able to look into a crystal ball and provide the answer you are looking for. I also doubt that anybody on this forum is equipped to answer your original question whilst you are still on Mojave and not Catalina, or are 32 bit apps tying you down to Mojave ? Why bother about Big Sur, Catalina should be your next stop if your workflow permits, at least that is my opinion.

Greetings Henties

I see, looks like I need to try it myself and see if it gains any perfomance and add new features I like or just restrict thing further

Last edited:
Does Big Sur has any advantages over Mojave function wise ?

@tabarus,

There are no significant new features in Big Sur (BS), its primarily an overhaul of the MacOS UI to bring it in-line with the IOS and iPadOS UI and of course it will be the first version to support Apple Silicon. The most useful change IMO is that Safari has improved security and also gets a new home page UI similar to what other browsers have already done.

You can read for yourself what all the changes are over at the Apple BS preview web site :-

By the time BS gets officially released it should have much more stable Navi GPU drivers than Catalina so that will make it a must have update for anyone running a Navi GPU ... but for anyone else i dont consider BS a must have update.

I personally wont be in a rush to update to BS, i'm not a fan of the new UI (which looks like it was designed by a ten year old child IMO) and i have no need of any of the of the new gimmicks so I'll be sticking with Catalina until Apple force me to update which will probably be with a future release of FCPX or Logic which is the primary use of my main desktop system.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
I have Mojave atm, this question might be a bit offtopic but is it worthe to update to catalina ? perfromance wise ?

@tabarus,

Catalina focused more on updating the bundled MacOS Apps, such as Photos, Apple TV, Apple Music, Mail, Notes .. etc. and also introduced increased system security by partitioning the system data from the users data.

Apple made a big deal of the new Sidecar feature in Catalina where users are able to use an iPad as an external screen on a supported Mac and use the Apple pencil (on the iPad) to annotate notes and use in drawing and photo touch up apps on the Mac .. sort of like a Wacom Cintiq pen display system.

Catalina has no real benefit performance wise over Mojave and many users found that for a long time it benchmarked slower than Mojave which i think was true for the early releases of Catalina but from 10.15.5 onwards I personally believe that Apple have got the performance of Catalina back to where Mojave 10.14.6 is.

Catalina also has no support for 32 bit Apps where as they still work on Mojave.

Many real Mac owners have had a lot of issues with Catalina and its gained a reputation of being the most buggy release of MacOS in a very long time, personally i have not had to much trouble with it but I held off installing it till 10.15.4 by which time many of the initial bugs had been fixed.

The full feature list for Catalina can be viewed here :-

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey thank you very much for teh detailed answer, looks liek it was the correct decision not to update this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back