Asus p8z68 v-lx
CPU
i7 2700k
Graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Hi,
I did the Monterey upgrade from Opencore 0.6.3 + Big Sur use to Opencore 0.7.5 and later. I also right clicked on the Finder sidebar and changed the disk name to 'Monterey'. (formerly Big Sur). But it still shows as Big Sur in the boot menu. (I did a reset Nvram). No problem, I can choose Big Sur and boot the Monterey installed system. But what I want to ask is is it possible to change Big Sur entry to Monterey?

@karahan_zorbey
There are places where to find how to fix this.
The easiest way is to install Intel Power Gadget and, after reboot, you'll see the new name in OpenCore.

@karahan_zorbey
There are places where to find how to fix this.
The easiest way is to install Intel Power Gadget and, after reboot, you'll see the new name in OpenCore.
Thanks
Not that obvious !!
What is the link between OpenCore and Intel Power Gadget ???
I learn every single day :thumbup:

Power Gadget rebuilds the kernel caches.

@oli.mathieu
Really there isn’t any link between OC and IPG. But IPG installation rebuilds Preboot volume where the files with Volume name are placed. This way those files are updated with current volume name.

Thanks! I will try.

Worked!!! Thanks.

Last edited:
@oli.mathieu
Really there isn’t any link between OC and IPG. But IPG installation rebuilds Preboot volume where the files with Volume name are placed. This way those files are updated with current volume name.
I've just tried and it works like a charm
is there any other way to rebuilds reboot Volume ?
Thanks

@oli.mathieu
Thinking about macOS volume name, there is a more direct way to change it so it's displayed in the OpenCore menu.

How to update macOS volume name in the OpenCore picker without Intel Power gadget

OpenCore uses .disk_label file if it exists, otherwise it tries .contentDetails and, if this doesn't exist, it tries .disk_label.contentDetails.

- config.plist: change csr-active-config to 6F020000 or FF0F0000 (having csr-active-config also in NVRAM >> Delete >> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82)
- reboot
- mount Preboot volume from Terminal (I'm not sure if that this is required, I see Preboot volume without mounting it but other users have had to mount that volume)
- edit /System/Volumes/Preboot/UUID-number/System/Library/CoreServices/.contentDetails and /System/Volumes/Preboot/UUID-number/System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label.contentDetails
- change the volume name to anything else
- reboot.

The new name is displayed in text and graphical picker.

Notes:
  • UUID-number is the UUID of the APFS volume group where Preboot volume is located, you can do "diskutil list" and "diskutil info diskx" where diskx is the APFS Container Scheme
  • csr-active-config=0xFFF (FF0F0000) >> csrutil status = unknown state.
  • csr-active-config=0x26F ((6F020000) >> csrutil status = disabled.
I think there is a Terminal command for rebuild Preboot volume but now I can't remember it exactly.

So I am having a bit of an issue trying to remove a ghost entry from the Opencore picker. For some reason Opencore 0.7.5 has picked up an external USB drive entry (which has since been removed) and it remains in the picker when I boot up the system (likely from a NVRAM record). I just need to remove it, but the issue I have currently is also the older ‘bcfg boot dump’ type commands no longer work (afaik). From what I understand it has been changed to map -r and so forth - but there is no proper documentation (that I’ve found) on using the new commands.

Looks like I found some answers to my earlier issue, but it would be a long way round. I'll have to use a different UEFI shell to remove it. >

Alias command discussed here >

The issue I have it seems is a random Block Device alias ie. BLK item which needs to be removed. The UEFI shell provided with Opencore seems restricted in function and is unable to remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back