Contribute
Register

How can I tell if Lilu and Whatevergreen are active / loaded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z490M-ITX/ac
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm pulling my hair out trying to get the HD530 IGFX DVI socket to work on my i6700 / Gigabyte HA-170N. Never before has it been a problem until Mojave.

I'm beginning to wonder if, for whatever reason, Lilu and Whatevergreen aren't being enabled / loaded at boot. I've installed them into /Library/Extensions using Kextbest, but from reading elsewhere on the site I get the impression that I should be able to grep or use Console and find entries for Lilu in the system.log ? I don't have any such entries.

Is there a way to verify Lilu & Whatevergreen are active?

Thanks

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get the HD530 IGFX DVI socket to work on my i6700 / Gigabyte HA-170N. Never before has it been a problem until Mojave.

I'm beginning to wonder if, for whatever reason, Lilu and Whatevergreen aren't being enabled / loaded at boot. I've installed them into /Library/Extensions using Kextbest, but from reading elsewhere on the site I get the impression that I should be able to grep or use Console and find entries for Lilu in the system.log ? I don't have any such entries.

Is there a way to verify Lilu & Whatevergreen are active?

Thanks

Look in ioreg. You should find both Lilu and WhateverGreen under the IOResources node.

Thanks @RehabMan First step though, where is the IOResources node? :)

I have 7 options from the first dropdown, then 7 more from the next. I did try searching / going into each option but couldn't find IOResources.

ioReg1.png

ioReg2.png

Thanks @RehabMan First step though, where is the IOResources node? :)

I have 7 options from the first dropdown, then 7 more from the next. I did try searching / going into each option but couldn't find IOResources.

View attachment 357186

View attachment 357187

Look at the bottom of the tree on the left (you should leave IOService plane selected).

For example, here is Lilu plugins AirportBrcmFixup and AppleALC:
Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 10.25.11 AM.png

And at the bottom of that same node, Lilu and WhateverGreen:
Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 10.26.26 AM.png

Look in ioreg. You should find both Lilu and WhateverGreen under the IOResources node.
You can also go to "About This Mac" > "Overview" > "System Report..." > "Software" > "Extensions" to ascertain whether a specific kext of interest to you is actually loaded. This method might be useful to you if you are not familiar with the workings of ioreg. The attached screen dumps should shed some light on that.

Greetings

Attachments

• Is WateverGreen kext loaded.png
    Is WateverGreen kext loaded.png
    379.1 KB · Views: 967
  • Is Lilu kext loaded.png
    Is Lilu kext loaded.png
    325.7 KB · Views: 942
Last edited:
You can also go to "About This Mac" > "Overview" > "System Report..." > "Software" > "Extensions" to ascertain whether a specific kext of interest to you is actually loaded. This method might be useful to you if you are not familiar with the workings of ioreg. The attached screen dumps should shed some light on that.

Greetings

Hiya @Henties . That looked really useful so I thought I'd check my own system. Neither kext is showing though.

I'm wondering if the System Report method only shows kexts loaded and cached from S/L/E and L/E, but NOT from EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other ?

:)

You can also go to "About This Mac" > "Overview" > "System Report..." > "Software" > "Extensions" to ascertain whether a specific kext of interest to you is actually loaded.

That is not reliable.

For the most part, you're interested in kexts that actually started.
The method you mention uses kextstat, which shows kexts that are loaded. It is possible (even likely) that a kext may load, but not start. The kernel uses lazy unloading for kexts which are loaded, but not started... so it may take a while for a kext that actually failed during initialization (eg. loaded, not started) to disappear from kextstat.

You should always check in ioreg.

Hiya @Henties . That looked really useful so I thought I'd check my own system. Neither kext is showing though.

I'm wondering if the System Report method only shows kexts loaded and cached from S/L/E and L/E, but NOT from EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other ?

:)
@RehabMan 's explanation should firmly put a lid on my method as it is clearly not reliable, therefore back to ioreg. :)

@RehabMan 's explanation should firmly put a lid on my method as it is clearly not reliable, therefore back to ioreg. :)

Ok, but it's amazing that we can all learn stuff no matter how long we've been hackintoshing/Mac-ing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back