Contribute
Register

how can I get OS X on a Toshiba Satellite L550D-11N?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte H77-D3H
CPU
Intel Core i5-3570k
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 7970
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a toshiba Satellite L550D-11N, I'm using Kubuntu 9.10 on it now, but I prefer to use OS X (I know this from a eMac which is about ten inch to my left ATM :p)

I got a Snow Leopard install DVD and I downloaded a Boot CD, but it looks like my computer is not supported by the CD.
I'm not sure if this is because I'm trying the wrong disk of that none of them support it.
but I'm using the iBoot-PCEFI.iso image ("SPECIAL TEST ATI VERSION (iBoot-ATI-7 + PC-EFI cdboot))").

I noticed the numers go from "iBoot-ATI" to "iBoot-ATI-10"
but I have no idea what the numbers mean
(so with the two named above, I don't know the difference between the one with, and the one without the -10)

again, I don't know if my laptop is supported, but these are the specs I know of:
CPU: AMD Athlon II M300 X2 (w/ AMD PowerNOW!)
Chip Set: AMD ATI RX881
RAM: 4GB 800Mhz DDR2
HD: 320GB 5400RPM Western Digital
graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD4570 512MB
Wi-Fi: Realtek 802.11bgn RTL8191SE MiniCard
WebCam: something VGA compatable....

funny is that I do know what wireless card it has, but I have no idea about the LAN card... :confused:

so far the system will try to start from the install dvd but then ends up getting a Kernel panic <-_->

so I'm wondering, do I need a other disk, and if so which, or is my laptop just not supported (right now) by any of the disks?

edit:
O yeah, I tried using save mode (-x) it went on loading a bit further, but then ended up with a kernel panic and a full screen of debug information.

AMD Processor-based computers are really not the way to go when it comes to a hackintosh. You can get it work with patched kernels, but it's often difficult. Since the boot CD uses a patched kernel (although, I'm not sure if it's a release that supports AMD CPUs) that's probably not what's causing your kernel panic. Keep in mind as well that you're using a boot CD designed for P55 motherboards, which your laptop won't have. You're best bet is to make your own USB boot with extensions specific to your laptop.

I'd hit google to look because I don't think that you'll find anyone here with that laptop.

well the problem is that I don't have a 8GB USB drive and can't get one either.

and besides that I also don't know how to cutomize the system to install on my laptop, I never tried this before...

To make a USB bootloader you won't need a USB drive that large (it can be very small, in fact).

If you don't have a USB flash or stick at all, then you could make your own boot CD:

(taken from Tony's blog)

To roll your own Chameleon boot CD using custom files, follow these steps.
Download tonymacx86-P55BootCD.iso.
Create a folder in your home directory called newiso.
Copy and paste all contents of tonymacx86-P55BootCD into your new folder.
Navigate in your newiso folder to Preboot.dmg.
Replace files in Extra with your system's DSDT.aml.
Open Terminal.
Type: sudo hdiutil makehybrid -o tonymacx86-P55BootCD.iso newiso/ -iso -hfs -joliet -eltorito-boot newiso/usr/standalone/i386/cdboot -no-emul-boot -hfs-volume-name "tonymacx86-P55BootCD" -joliet-volume-name "tonymacx86-P55BootCD"

ok, but how do I get/make that DSDT.aml file?
I still don't even know what it is...

You can get by without a DSDT, but they help in post-installation to get full functionality (though it can be possible without it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back