Contribute
Register

How best to import data and applications from back up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
GTX770
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Good afternoon. I'm curious the best way to restore applications and data from a previous build.

I have a TimeMachine back up of a successful install of OSX 10.9.4 on a GA-P67A-UD4-B3 with a 2600K processor.
I upgraded to a GA-Z97X-UD5H motherboard with a 4790K processor, a PNY GTX 770 w/4GB memory, a Corsair 650 watt power supply, 4 GBs of Corsair Vengence 1600 memory and 480 Gb Corsair SSD

I first attempted a system restore of my previous build. The restore went well but I could never boot into the new restored system to run Multibeast for the new hardware configuration. I've scoured the forums for suggestions to get through the panic but no luck with suggestions.

Then I successfully did a clean instal of OSX 10.9.4 on the new hardware. The system runs wonderfully. I would like to restore my applications from the old build on TimeMachine but it says I cannot access the previous saves.

Probably more importantly is all my data was on a separate drive. How can I assign that existing data drive to the new hardware and clean install of OSX 10.9.4?

I apologize in advance for my not-to-technical acumen.

Any ideas?

Then I successfully did a clean instal of OSX 10.9.4 on the new hardware. The system runs wonderfully. I would like to restore my applications from the old build on TimeMachine but it says I cannot access the previous saves.

What exactly does the system say? This is not normal, you should simply be able to tell TimeMachine to use your existing (old) TimeMachine backup drive and it should offer you the option to continue using your old backup sets. Most alarming!

Thanks for the reply Clipper. In system preferences, when I select the TimeMachine backup disk, it lets me select the volume but only what space is free on the disk. It states "Oldest backup: None, "Latest backup: None.

When I select the TimeMachine app, it opens, closes a few seconds later and says "Can't connect to a current Time Machine backup disk."
I've included screen shots.
Thank you.

Attachments

• TimeMachine Pref Pane.tiff
    146 KB · Views: 163
  • TimeMachine app message.tiff
    24.9 KB · Views: 139
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back