Contribute
Register

How about this machine for a hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Graphics
9600GT
In this machine will work a hackintosh, right? How about the motherboard, is better this Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 or a GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI for a hackintosh? Another question, does SLI works in hakintosh? The Sabertooth is SLI compatible? Thanks in advance!

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz (4.4GHz Turbo, LGA 1150, 8MB Cache) 88W
PLACA MÃE ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 2 - SOCKET LGA1150
Kingston HyperX Fury White 4GB DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 CL10
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6.0Gb/s WD20EZRX
EVGA 850W SuperNOVA ATX12V v2.3 220-G2-0850-XR 80 PLUS Gold
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0 x16
Corsair Hydro H110 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Cosmos SE (COS-5000) Midnight Black
SSD CORSAIR 480

In this machine will work a hackintosh, right? How about the motherboard, is better this Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 or a GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI for a hackintosh? Another question, does SLI works in hakintosh? The Sabertooth is SLI compatible? Thanks in advance!

PLACA MÃE ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 2 - SOCKET LGA1150
Kingston HyperX Fury White 4GB DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 CL10
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6.0Gb/s WD20EZRX
EVGA 850W SuperNOVA ATX12V v2.3 220-G2-0850-XR 80 PLUS Gold
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0 x16
Corsair Hydro H110 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Cosmos SE (COS-5000) Midnight Black
SSD CORSAIR 480

Sabertooth is compatible - see http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-october-2015.html#Motherboards

Make sure memory in on the Sabertooth QVL list on the Asus site.

Otherwise :thumbup:

Joao,

Why not considering the new Intel i7-6700K... Only few $/€ difference with 4790K, and DDR4 support! but you need another motherboard (LGA 1151 and not LGA1150)...

I noticed that the benchmarks for the 4790k is still higher than the new Skylarks. The only advantage to the new Intel CPUs is the integrated graphics. But if you are getting a high end video card then stick with the 4790k.

:thumbup:

The only advantage to the new Intel CPUs is the integrated graphics.

Not agree : the new Skylake CPUs are supporting DDR4, where previous generation (such as the 4790K) are not! And this is a huge difference for me!

Now as already stated the 2 CPUs are (app) at the same price, and also running at same speed (4GHz). I also read that benchmarks are egal for both of them... Disadvantage for the Skylake : you need a newer motherboard...

Not agree : the new Skylake CPUs are supporting DDR4, where previous generation (such as the 4790K) are not! And this is a huge difference for me!

Now as already stated the 2 CPUs are (app) at the same price, and also running at same speed (4GHz). I also read that benchmarks are egal for both of them... Disadvantage for the Skylake : you need a newer motherboard...

Other disadvantage for Skylake is that it is currently not supported in OS X and everyone is struggling hard to get OS X to work on Z170 boards with new CPUs.

Other disadvantage for Skylake is that it is currently not supported in OS X and everyone is struggling hard to get OS X to work on Z170 boards with new CPUs.

Correct! This is because this is new :D... But it will be possible very soon, I guess... My point was just a suggestion for a new system : wait 2 or 3 extra weeks if you want to be sure for the Skylake. Go for the 4790K if you want to be safe :p!

Correct! This is because this is new :D... But it will be possible very soon, I guess... My point was just a suggestion for a new system : wait 2 or 3 extra weeks if you want to be sure for the Skylake. Go for the 4790K if you want to be safe :p!

Are you up on the current testing threads and research? I would say "possible very soon" might be a bit of a inaccurate statement..

Asus Z170M-PLUS
Limitations (currently)

• None of the onboard USB ports work. A USB3 add-on card that's normally natively supported in El Capitan also does not work.
  • The onboard SATA ports do not work
  • The onboard Intel Ethernet does not work
  • The onboard audio does not work
  • Graphics are unaccelerated
  • Does not go to sleep (goes to a black screen showing just a mouse cursor, and moving the mouse "wakes" it again)
  • The CPU doesn't appear to go into turbo states (up to 4 GHz), but instead maxes out at the base clock rate of 3.4 GHz. It does use power saving modes down to at least 1 GHz, using roughly 2W at idle.

Those are a quite a few hurdles to tackle in only a 2-3 week time period. Especially if you know that 10.11.2 PB did not correct these issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back