Contribute
Register

Hot to update from 10.7.4 to 10.9.2 (Gigabyte-GA-Z77X-D3H)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte-GA-Z77X-D3H
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 6870
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
How to update from 10.7.4 to 10.9.2 (Gigabyte-GA-Z77X-D3H)

Hi everyone,

I have a running 10.7.4 Lion system on this build:

Gigabyte-GA-Z77X-D3H
XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB
i7 3770K 3.5GHz
2x Samsung SSDs (1x OSX, 1x Win8)

Now I feel like I should start thinking about upgrading to 10.9.2 as some software does not work anymore with 10.7 (latest versions of iPhoto and Aperture for example).

However, I am completely lost at how to upgrade the running system without losing my programs and data... :( I don't really have the time to start from scratch, so is there a safe way how to upgrade?

No one with an idea in which direction to point me?

If it were me, I would use SuperDuper (can also be done with Carbon Copy Cloner) to clone my boot hard drive to a USB drive so I would have all my data, apps, etc and could roll back inf anything went wrong. I would do a completely clean install of 10.9.2 following the very excellent guide on this site and then use the Migration Assistant ((/Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant.app) to move the apps, users, and user data across from the cloned USB drive (I would not recommend migrating system settings though).

When doing the clean install of 10.9.2, I would recommend creating a new user which didn't exist on your old system to do the migration to avoid any issues with account conflicts.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, at least it shows me that there doesn't seem to be an easy way of updating. If I have to go through this process I will probably wait until 10.10 arrives...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back