Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My build includes a three-bay hot swap cage that accepts bare SATA drives. My workflow is such that I swap drives a lot. I have set the ports for the three hot swap bays to permit "hot-plug" in BIOS.

The default 3rd party SATA kext does not make the "hot-plug" drives ejectable. I can still eject the disks, but I have to do so in Disk Utility or use an AppleScript I wrote to run a Terminal command. Unfortunately though, once a drive is removed from the bay, any new drive in the bay does not show up. I have to reboot. This is a nuisance and disrupts my workflow.

I installed the 3rd party eSATA kext which makes ALL drives ejectable (except the boot drive), not just the ones with the hot-plug option enabled in BIOS. That seemed like progress but...

Once a volume has been unmounted and its drive removed from the hot swap cage, any new drive placed into that cage slot does not register and cannot be used. As with the 3rd party SATA kext, I still have to reboot to install different drives in the hot swap cage.

Apparently, there is no kext which is mindful of the hot-plug property in BIOS and permits actual hot swap ability.

Please tell me I'm wrong and that true hot swap can be accomplished for SATA drives.

My build includes a three-bay hot swap cage that accepts bare SATA drives. My workflow is such that I swap drives a lot. I have set the ports for the three hot swap bays to permit "hot-plug" in BIOS.

The default 3rd party SATA kext does not make the "hot-plug" drives ejectable. I can still eject the disks, but I have to do so in Disk Utility or use an AppleScript I wrote to run a Terminal command. Unfortunately though, once a drive is removed from the bay, any new drive in the bay does not show up. I have to reboot. This is a nuisance and disrupts my workflow.

I installed the 3rd party eSATA kext which makes ALL drives ejectable (except the boot drive), not just the ones with the hot-plug option enabled in BIOS. That seemed like progress but...

Once a volume has been unmounted and its drive removed from the hot swap cage, any new drive placed into that cage slot does not register and cannot be used. As with the 3rd party SATA kext, I still have to reboot to install different drives in the hot swap cage.

Apparently, there is no kext which is mindful of the hot-plug property in BIOS and permits actual hot swap ability.

Please tell me I'm wrong and that true hot swap can be accomplished for SATA drives.
Most modern UEFI BIOSes allow you to individually enable hotswap on the SATA ports. Did you do this?

I've not done hotswap disks recently. Remove all ACHI kexts, in BIOS, set SATA to External and Hot-swap activated for each drive you have in the rack. Then test the AHCI kexts one by one.

Hello did anybody find a solution for hot swapping sata drives?
I Have an asrock Z370M pro4 mob an esata PCIE card (ASMEDIA 1061) and I am running Mojave
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back