Contribute
Register

Hopefully near universal USB 3.0 driver for 3rd part controllers in 10.8.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone at all had success with the Etron EJ 168 controller?

Its seen for me but no drives show up that are connected.

Cheers.

Install the kext I have in the first post in my signature; it's my golden build. Don't use the Caldigit kext; it's garbage. KPs and remount issues all the time.

Instead use Kextbeast and install the PXHCD.kext attached. Same kext provided in MB, with modifications to include the vendor and product IDs of the Etron EJ168 controller in info.plist. Works beautifully.

Install the kext I have in the first post in my signature; it's my golden build. Don't use the Caldigit kext; it's garbage. KPs and remount issues all the time.

Instead use Kextbeast and install the PXHCD.kext attached. Same kext provided in MB, with modifications to include the vendor and product IDs of the Etron EJ168 controller in info.plist. Works beautifully.

Thanks, Skirk. Put yours in place of the Caldigit one on my system. I did have a drive kick early on but just ran Blackmagic Disk Speed Test on one of my external drives for about twenty minutes, and looking pretty stable now.

Anyone at all had success with the Etron EJ 168 controller?

Its seen for me but no drives show up that are connected.

Cheers.

I never had any luck before with the one on my Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard, neither with the standard BIOS nor with the first UEFI BIOS that Gigabyte released.

But I updated to the latest UEFI BIOS (ver. U1c for this board), and now my Etron USB3.0 ports seem to be working properly. I'm using the CalDigit kexts from MultiBeast.

UPDATE: I just had a kernel panic (this was the first time I've used a USB 3.0 device since updating to the U1c UEFI BIOS). I'm going to try replacing the CalDigit kexts with the PXHCD.kext provided by skirk08.

This would be great for those of us who prefer (White) Leopards to Lions!

;)

Indeed! That would be fantastic- I would really appreciate it if someone would post the SL version of apple's usb 3.0 kext (if one exists); or point me in the direction of making the mods myself.

THANK YOU so much!!!

Fingers crossed I've finally figured out the whole USB 3.0 driver thing for 10.8.

Note that this is so far not for use with any 7-series boards with the only exception being the X79 boards.

The attachment is of a modified CalDigit driver that is known to work with the ASMedia ASM1042, Etron EJ168 and Renesas uDP720202 controllers.

So far no luck with NEC uDP720200(F1/A/anything) - the device shows up in the system profile, but it does nothing - and we need further testing with Fresco Logic FL1000/FL1009/FL1100 and so far we don't have any reports about the VLI VL800.

Note that sleep doesn't work (on at least most systems) with these drivers.

If you have a Renesas uDP720201, TI controller, VL801 or EJ188/198 USB 3.0 host controller, then please submit device ID's (manufacturer ID would be useful for TI as well).

I can make the same edits for 10.7 and 10.6 as well if there's a demand.

The drivers can be downloaded here View attachment 30320

View attachment 30191View attachment 30192View attachment 30193

Nice!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some insight into my specific problem.

I'm having trouble with multiple USB 3.0 G-RAID drives. They are fully functional out of the box--I have connected them first to my 15" MacBook Pro and to my tower running Windows 7. On the same tower, running OS 10.9.1, connected with USB 3.0, the drives initialize in Disk Utility, but they cannot be mounted after formatting. From that point forward, the drive will not mount to any machine, OSX or Windows, using any connection.

I've disassembled one of these bricked drives, reformatted the two SATA drives inside, reassembled it, and it comes up like new on my 15" MacBook Pro. I can attach it to a USB 2.0 port on my Hack using the USB 3.0 cable, and it works fine. Then, it bricks again when attached to a USB 3.0 port. My machine doesn't completely freeze up, as so many others have experienced, but I have noticed that it hangs on start up if the drive is attached--but it isn't a kernel panic.

I also have a USB 3.0 CalDigit VR, and that works flawlessly on my Hack. In fact, I haven't had similar problems with any other USB 3.0 externals.

I have a GA-X79-UD3 MotherBoard with Bios F11. This board uses two of the Fresco USB 3.0 chips. System Profiler says my Hack is using the AppleUSBXHCI Host Controller Driver.

Any ideas?

Again, thank you!

UPDATE 1/21/14 @ 5:12pm

I used MultiBeast to install the GenericUSBXHCI kext, and although it shows the change in System Profiler, my computer still bricks an otherwise perfectly functioning G-RAID USB 3.0 external drive.

:cry:

Are you sill making mods to this USB 3.0 Kext?

If so, I have a piece of hardware I would like support added for...

It's the SYBA SD-MPE20142 (Mini-PCIe USB 3.0) - uses Renesas (uP)D720202

I have it in a 27” iMac late 2009 (iMac11,1), and it works under Windows/bootcamp!
I have tried 4 different OS X drivers with no luck at all.

Here is some of what windows shows about the card:
———————
Hardware IDs:
PCI\VEN_1912&DEV_0015&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02
PCI\VEN_1912&DEV_0015&SUBSYS_00000000
PCI\VEN_1912&DEV_0015&REV_02
PCI\VEN_1912&DEV_0015
PCI\VEN_1912&DEV_0015&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_1912&DEV_0015&CC_0C03

Manufacture: Renesas Electronics
Object Name: \Device\NTPNP_PCI0041
Matching device ID: pci\ven_1912&dev_0015&rev_02
———————
Hardware IDs:
RENESAS_USB3\ROOT_HUB30&VID_1912&PID_0015&REV_0002&SID_FFFFFFFF
RENESAS_USB3\ROOT_HUB30&VID_1912&PID_0015&REV_0002
RENESAS_USB3\ROOT_HUB30&VID_1912&PID_0015

Manufacture: Renesas Electronics
Object Name: \Device\00000069
Matching device ID: renesas_usb3\root_hub30&vid_1912&pid_0015
———————

Thanks!
I have a 2010 iMac and have, since I got it, kept a lookout to see if anyone tried putting a Mini PCI-Express USB 3.0 card in the airport socket in place of the airport Wireless card. It is good to know at least that it works under bootcamp. I too would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has got a similar setup working and if there are any issues. I am also curious how you routed out a USB 3.0 socket. Did you modify the case/the memory grill?

Hi, I have the uPD720201 USB 3.0 Host Controller, does anyone help me to work on Catalina?

The kext that is supposed to be using is AppleUSBXHCIPCI.kext and in Hackintool it shows as PXSX Type controller like it's already installed but does not work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 10.31.35.png

This is an unsupported controller. in fact i think it might be the only one that's unsupported at this point since VIA has been working for a few macOS versions now, fresco has always worked, and asmedia works well now too. Get a different controller.

Ages ago we had these working with crappy hacked drivers, and i think it even sort of works with genericUSBXHCI, but it was always buggy and frustrating and not worth it.
g\
Hi, I have the uPD720201 USB 3.0 Host Controller, does anyone help me to work on Catalina?

The kext that is supposed to be using is AppleUSBXHCIPCI.kext and in Hackintool it shows as PXSX Type controller like it's already installed but does not work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back