Home sharing / Airplay / Bonjour / something is not right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi!

I'm a first time Hackintosh builder having just installed the system in my signature two days ago. Everything else is working very smooth (better than I was expecting even), but there's something weird going on with with home sharing/airplay and I'm now starting to think it's actually something about the underlying Bonjour protocol..

In my network, I have an Apple TV 2 and a Macbook Pro in addition to this new Hackintosh box (and a couple of Windows boxes). In iTunes, on the Hackintosh, I rarely see Apple TV as an output option or the shared iTunes library on my MBP. I also don't see the MBP's file shares in Finder. I have Airfoil for streaming Spotify etc into my home theater system through Apple TV as well and when there are problems, sure enough Airfoil can't find the Apple TV either.

However. Apple TV can still see the Hackintosh's shared iTunes library, I can browse the library, and I can even play items from there with no problems. Likewise, the MBP sees the Hackintosh iTunes library and all its shares in Finder.

This is how it works most of the time.

Other times, it doesn't work at all. The MBP/Apple TV can't "see" the Hackintosh any more than the Hackintosh can see them. Then yet other times, everything works as it should with every device being able to connect to each other. The MBP and the Apple TV never have problems with each other, and even the Windows boxes and their iTunes play nice with all the others. It's just the new hackintosh that's the problem.

Sometimes the situation can change by turning home sharing off and back on on the Hackintosh. Sometimes it starts working by disabling and then enabling again Bonjour with
Code:
sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist
and
Code:
sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist
which I now have saved as a script. Sometimes it seems like nothing does the trick, but eventually it'll start working again, either fully or (more often) partially as described above. Needless to say this is very frustrating.

Any idea where to start?

Just a little update - I was originally using the AppleRTL8169Ethernet 2.0 driver for my LAN, I now switched to the Lnx2Mac's driver and Bonjour is a LOT more stable now. Or maybe it just seems so? I don't know, but it's been working like a charm all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back