ATI Radeon HD 5770
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have just moved from an official Mac Pro 3,1 system to a Gigabyte z77x-up5-th based system. The PCI-e card in question (purchased here: http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sata_raid_controllers/r622.asp) is the RAID-less version of the RocketRAID 622 card. It has the Marvel 88SE9123 chipset which has native support, including port multiplication and hot swapping, in Mountain Lion. I know that because it worked perfectly without a driver in my Mac Pro. In fact, Highpoint doesn't even have a driver on their site for this card because it's been natively supported since at least 10.6.

The card works fine on my hackintosh except it no longer supports hot swapping.

Turns out, the Gigabyte board (which is listed in the latest Buyer's Guide), also has a Marvel SATA chipset on board. It's the 88SE9172, a slightly newer, non-Mac OS X supported version (AFAIK). So my thought was to just disable it to prevent conflicts. Actually, it's turns out it's the opposite: if you don't enable the onboard chipset, it disables the card too. Weird but true. So.... I'm not sure what to do here.

Suggestions? Please keep in mind I'm brand new to the community, so go easy on the acronyms and such. :think:

Many thanks!

John

I have not had esata hotswap since Snow. I am now on ML 10.8.2
USB is hot swap.
My external drive is esata/usb so it has not really been a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back