Contribute
Register

Highpoint 2720SGL WORKS Perfectly in a Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I'm thinking about 3x 2TB SSD on RAID 0, I don't know if that configuration will benefit from having a RAID card or it's just fine using Disk Utility as I'm doing right now with 3 x 2TB HDD.
I just need as much as Read/Write performance as I can get, and I don't know if having a RAID card instead of using software RAID makes much difference.

If you can't afford SSDs (Mushkin reactors are affordable and reliable) then go with 3.5 inch 7200 RPM drives or 10000 RPM 2.5 drives. My test was with Slow 5400 drives. My MacPro has 4 SSHD 4TB 3.5 drives and the combined 32GB of SSD across the 4 drives helps. They are in a RAID 5 but are backed up regularly. Seagate does not recommend SSHDs in RAID, but they work well for me.

At any given RPM, smaller drives are always slower.

Just installed my first rocketraid 2720 on 10.14.2. Originally I wanted to install 5x 8TB in raid 6, but highpoint told me later on, that 2720 doesn`t support raid 6 on OS, no stuck with raid 5, what I really wanted to avoid...

Does anyone achieved to lock free raid 6?
Does anyone succesfully flashed the bios? (to avoid the raid bios each startup)

Just installed my first rocketraid 2720 on 10.14.2. Originally I wanted to install 5x 8TB in raid 6, but highpoint told me later on, that 2720 doesn`t support raid 6 on OS, no stuck with raid 5, what I really wanted to avoid...

Does anyone achieved to lock free raid 6?
Does anyone succesfully flashed the bios? (to avoid the raid bios each startup)

I have not tried RAID6 yet, however, I was getting annoyed with the Blue BIOS screen that sits there "initializing" for several minutes. So I decided to flash the BIOS. Here's the link to the drivers and BIOS. The easiest way to flash it is to get it done through Windows if you have a Windows machine or hard drive.

1. Install the driver.
2. Install the WebGUI.
3. Apply the BIOS

You might want to read the GUIDE which helps explain which BIOS you might want. I personally chose QuickBIOS because I don't intend to boot my system from the RAID set up and only use it for storage.

NOTE: Make sure you disconnect all drives from the RAID controller before you apply any updates.

Thank you! I`ll try that!

So, a bit of an update on this...I got it to work on the UEFI board by swapping out my graphics card. Apparently, it did not like the specific combination of pure UEFI video card and a legacy storage card. By swapping out the graphics card (AMD) with an Nvidia GT 730, I was able to get the 2720 booting successfully on my UEFI board. Not an ideal solution, but it works.

The all-legacy board (X8DTL-iF) continues to vex, however. I have gotten it so far as to actually get me starting to boot into Clover, by selecting BIOS-block IO option instead of SATA i/o option, but it hangs at scanning devices stage. I have a feeling like this is either going to be some obscure Clover option, or some kind of EFI driver is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back