Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> High temperature i7 + z390 Designare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the heatsink hot to the touch when the system is running?

Not much really. I can reach the outer edge of the circumference with my fingers and it doesn't show much heat. In its center it could be more hot, I'dont know.

How are your BIOS settings?

• Press F2 to toggle to Advanced Mode.
  • Press F7 to Load Optimized Defaults.
Now make the following settings:

• Tweaker
    • Advanced CPU Settings → VT-d → Disabled
    • Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) → Profile 1
  • Settings
    • Internal Graphics → Enabled
    • Above 4G Decoding → Enabled
    • Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration
      • Security Level → No Security
        This will trigger a 'Save & Exit' dialog so press ESC to close the dialog.
      • Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration
        • Thunderbolt USB Support → Enabled
        • GPIO3 Force Pwr → Enabled
    • USB Configuration
      • XHCI Handoff → Enabled
  • Boot
    • Windows 8/10 Features → Other OS
    • CSM Support → Disabled
      Some devices such as GPUs may require CSM Support to be enabled. There is no harm in setting this to either Enabled or Disabled. Use the setting that works best.
  • Save & Exit → Save Profiles → Save to Profile 1
    This preserves the firmware settings for easy recovery.

The only different thing in my setup is CSM Support → Enabled because disabling cause a hangup at boot.

Did you mess with the fan profile?

I did not touch the fan profile in BIOS. All fans ar running. GPU fans run occasionally, when I open minecraft full screen, for example. Although the GPU tubular heatsinks are very hot to the touch almost every time.

Are you overclocking?

No.

What are the vcore settings?

BIOS shows "Auto" with a value of 1.200

In my opinion (I could be wrong) it is not a cooling problem, rather of excessive overheating. The CPU goes up to 90 as soon as you start the computer, just by entering the BIOS interface, without entering the operating system and with all fans running fast. Could it be a faulty CPU?

I have an excessively fast ram for this CPU, could it be the problem?
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07TC4TPCN/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21

I have changed it to a more normal one and the problem persists (although I forgot to update the ram profile in the BIOS).

Last edited:
Not much really. I can reach the outer edge of the circumference with my fingers and it doesn't show much heat. In its center it could be more hot, I'dont know.

• Press F2 to toggle to Advanced Mode.
  • Press F7 to Load Optimized Defaults.
Now make the following settings:

• Tweaker
    • Advanced CPU Settings → VT-d → Disabled
    • Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) → Profile 1
  • Settings
    • Internal Graphics → Enabled
    • Above 4G Decoding → Enabled
    • Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration
      • Security Level → No Security
        This will trigger a 'Save & Exit' dialog so press ESC to close the dialog.
      • Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration
        • Thunderbolt USB Support → Enabled
        • GPIO3 Force Pwr → Enabled
    • USB Configuration
      • XHCI Handoff → Enabled
  • Boot
    • Windows 8/10 Features → Other OS
    • CSM Support → Disabled
      Some devices such as GPUs may require CSM Support to be enabled. There is no harm in setting this to either Enabled or Disabled. Use the setting that works best.
  • Save & Exit → Save Profiles → Save to Profile 1
    This preserves the firmware settings for easy recovery.

The only different thing in my setup is CSM Support → Enabled because disabling cause a hangup at boot.

I did not touch the fan profile in BIOS. All fans ar running. GPU fans run occasionally, when I open minecraft full screen, for example. Although the GPU tubular heatsinks are very hot to the touch almost every time.

No.

BIOS shows "Auto" with a value of 1.200

In my opinion (I could be wrong) it is not a cooling problem, rather of excessive overheating. The CPU goes up to 90 as soon as you start the computer, just by entering the BIOS interface, without entering the operating system and with all fans running fast. Could it be a faulty CPU?

I have an excessively fast ram for this CPU, could it be the problem?
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07TC4TPCN/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21

I have changed it to a more normal one and the problem persists (although I forgot to update the ram profile in the BIOS).

If your CPU is 80C and the heatsink is not warm to the touch, then you did not mount the heatsink correctly.

Last edited:
If you CPU is 80C and the heatsink is not warm to the touch, then you did not mount the heatsink correctly.

Finally! you are right.

To discard that hypothesis I have completely disassembled the computer. I have mounted the fan again and double checked that it is well mounted. The surface of the heatsink is firmly in contact with the surface of the processor, has sufficient thermal paste and the fan is firmly anchored, without looseness.

At startup again the values remain much lower (see attached screencapture) even with hard CPU work. so, it seems that was the problem: bad mounted fan again (the third is the winner).

Thank you very much for your time and attention. I wouldn't have done it without help!

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2020-01-25 14.14.28.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-01-25 14.14.28.png
    257.4 KB · Views: 32
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back