Contribute
Register

High Sierra works great on old Dell T5400, 2xXeon x5460's & XFX GTX 280!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you ever manage to get the fan speed control working on HWMonitor or some other app?
Short answer yes.. long answer, I don't know how. They would all spin up to full speed under Sierra, but under High Sierra are well behaved and quiet as they were under El Capitan. I still get incorrect readings about CPU core temps (but that's it, everything else works fine) but it doesn't seem to affect the fan speed. I use it sitting under a TV (using the TV speakers, and not set very high so as not to annoy roommates) to stream over the net, and the noise isn't even noticeable, even with two graphics cards up and running under El Capitan. It may be different versions of the FakeSMC/HWMonitor kexts that happened to get installed with the different versions of the OS, I'm not sure. But I'm not worried about the CPU temps - I've got the Dell apx 4 inch x 4 inch x 7 or 8 inch tall heatsinks w/heatpipes on both CPU's (They BARELY fit inside a 4U case - I actually had to dremel the lip at the top of the case where it folds under away to get it to close, and the top of the heat pipes touch the top of the case when I close it) and a 5 in or so diameter fan pulling through the front top plus another identical fan pushing through the bottom - the heatsinks never even get warm to the touch. I think these fans push enough air even if they're always running on low speed they'll keep this sucker cool. Edit: Oh, and if you're running this on a T5400 or similar Dell make sure one of the CPU-cooling fans if plugged into the "front" connector as that's the one that the BIOS seems to speed up first if it notices the CPU's getting warm. I think I have the second one plugged into the "cage" connector for cooling the cards. The memory connector cools the memory, and one of em has the HD (optional) connector hooked up to a case fan, the other one I don't even use one. Dell 5-wire fans are mandatory or the BIOS will bitch, have no control over them, and run em at full speed - however all dell 5-wire fans are not made equal - electrically they are, but noise level and air-movement wise they can be as different as night & day. Edit: Actually meant Dell 5-connector fans.. they're 4 wire but a funky proprietary 5 pin connector w/one not used. They're PWM fans, may or may not interchange with other 4-wire PWM fans depending on how picky the motherboard is/what the fan provides for a signal and how it uses the PWM input signal.

Sorry I couldn't provide more info. I can grab you the part # off the heatsinks and fans I'm using if you need it, I've actually got a third setup I'm not currently using because I'll need to upgrade the one CPU that works and either forego the second CPU or gather up a lot of patience and straighten out some of the pins on the second socket - I got that board off Ebay and it came w/one really old/crappy CPU and no blank in the second socket. Bottom line though, between the giant heatsinks and fans I'm using both systems are nearly silent even when I'm running them under load.

Good luck man, ask away if you have any more questions..

Last edited:
Hi, I followed the following this tutorial to install High Sierra on my Dell t5400. It is equipped with a double Xeon x5460 3.16 GHz, 20 GB of RAM and a GTX 960. I managed to install High Sierra and are working properly, well not completely. I have USB ports that work, Ethernet, audio, but I have fans of my t5400 that are all the time thoroughly. I noticed in the verbose that he said unusuported cpu reporter. I do not know what that means since the author of the tutorial also uses a double Xeon.

Hello, finally, I managed to make everything work perfectly. The fans are no longer turning. To fix the problem, I used unibeast for High Sierra, I copied the dsdt of the Clover Dell 690 and the different Kext files needed. I have a Nvidia GT 710 graphics card from KFA2 and it is natively recognized by MacOS high Sierra with the injection into the clover. The use of the webdriver did not work with this card. I connected two screens on my graphics card, because I used to use two screens, to work. One of the screens is in HDMI and the other in VGA. I had understood that MacOS no longer support VGA connectors, but strangely, my VGA display works.

Attachments

• Sans titre.png
    Sans titre.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 175
Hello, finally, I managed to make everything work perfectly. The fans are no longer turning. To fix the problem, I used unibeast for High Sierra, I copied the dsdt of the Clover Dell 690 and the different Kext files needed. I have a Nvidia GT 710 graphics card from KFA2 and it is natively recognized by MacOS high Sierra with the injection into the clover. The use of the webdriver did not work with this card. I connected two screens on my graphics card, because I used to use two screens, to work. One of the screens is in HDMI and the other in VGA. I had understood that MacOS no longer support VGA connectors, but strangely, my VGA display works.
I've got one of this big box at work and just installed hs, which kext did use for bcm5754 ethernet?

Last edited:
I've got one of this big box at work and just installed hs, which kext did use for bcm5754 ethernet?
Reply to myself, used bcm5722d.kext on clover/kext/other and ethernet came out.
Everything works except audio, but isn't a problem 4 me it's a working machine.

Attachments

• Schermata 2019-01-23 alle 11.07.22.png
    Schermata 2019-01-23 alle 11.07.22.png
    2 MB · Views: 144
  • Score cpu.jpg
    Score cpu.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 142
Reply to myself, used bcm5722d.kext on clover/kext/other and ethernet came out.
Everything works except audio, but isn't a problem 4 me it's a working machine.

Hey, use this Kext, it works for me. I give you a link to download it.

Apologies for opening an old thread back up but would this process work for Mojave on a Precision 690? I came across this looking for a way to The process for Mojave and High Sierra installs are almost identical and in theory it should boot?
*Edit
I have been trying this on a Precision 690 using the instructions that you outlined in your first post. It keeps getting stuck at "End RandomSeed ++++++...". Tried each version of Aptio DrvFix .efi driver and the other fixes.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Apologies for opening an old thread back up but would this process work for Mojave on a Precision 690? I came across this looking for a way to The process for Mojave and High Sierra installs are almost identical and in theory it should boot?
*Edit
I have been trying this on a Precision 690 using the instructions that you outlined in your first post. It keeps getting stuck at "End RandomSeed ++++++...". Tried each version of Aptio DrvFix .efi driver and the other fixes.
Any ideas?
I'm going to be messing around with Mojave soon.. I got past the +++++++xlong-line-of-em and got it up and running (for 20-30 mins at a clip) before a random crash. (And not even a normal one, just doing things and it suddenly reboots.). I haven't even attempted this one a Dell, but that's my experience on two HP laptops. I'll post back if I get it installed and running but time is at a premium lately - I've seriously tried tops 1 hr on two machines and ran out of patience so I re-imaged the drive back downgraded to High Sierra and called it a day until I can screw around with it further.

I'm going to be messing around with Mojave soon.. I got past the +++++++xlong-line-of-em and got it up and running (for 20-30 mins at a clip) before a random crash. (And not even a normal one, just doing things and it suddenly reboots.). I haven't even attempted this one a Dell, but that's my experience on two HP laptops. I'll post back if I get it installed and running but time is at a premium lately - I've seriously tried tops 1 hr on two machines and ran out of patience so I re-imaged the drive back downgraded to High Sierra and called it a day until I can screw around with it further.
So I’ve tried your process with High Sierra and I am not able to get it past the Precision 690 with the latest Legacy version of Clover and it still stops at “End RandomSeed ++++.....”. Are you using Legacy or UEFI? Would you be able to post/attach your EFI folder that you were using to get High Sierra to install?
Thank you

So I’ve tried your process with High Sierra and I am not able to get it past the Precision 690 with the latest Legacy version of Clover and it still stops at “End RandomSeed ++++.....”. Are you using Legacy or UEFI? Would you be able to post/attach your EFI folder that you were using to get High Sierra to install?
Thank you
I sure will.. but I'm moving the bedroom where I have the two boxes around right now and I'll have the High Sierra one hooked up later today.

I use legacy as on the T5400's as there is no UEFI... however I am still using an older version of Clover, you're certainly using a newer one. I THINK I have 4279 on it.. there's always a possibility a fix in a newer one for Mojave or something broke this chain of rig-jobs to make it work.

Wait... just re-read your post - do you want A) the EFI folder off the USB stick I install it from B) the EFI folder off the working Hack or both? (I'll default to both if I don't hear from you..) And what hardware are you using exactly? If it's a T5400 I can almost certainly get it to work for you.. I've got lots of experience on hacking this up on other older hardware too, so let me know in case I've dealt with something similar and maybe it's something I've run into. I've seen that stop before, maybe it'll jog my memory.

Edit: I just scrolled up a realized you're the one who said clearly it's a 690.. let me look up the hardware specs on that as I don't remember. You might be better off with a different system def, have you tried any others? In anycase, I'll drop another line later today with anything I came up with and attach the EFI folder goodies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back