- Aug 4, 2012
- GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
- Intel i7-6700K
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
THIS IS AN UPDATE FROM AN OLD POST I CREATED A WHILE BACK
HIGH Sierra UPGRADE!_THUNDERBOLT 3 SUCCESS!! with GA-Z170X-UD5 TH STARTECH "Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter" and the Universal Audio APOLLO 8 - El Capitan 10.11.6 iMac 17,1
HIGH SIERRA 10.13.6 iMac 17,1 Bios F5 (i didnt update firmware)
1) Booted into my windows 10 hard drive and updated bios to F5 at the time of this writing (if on OS X change Bios for Windows usage) and (see Tonymac for bios update guides).
2) Once in windows, I plugged in the Startech adapter and turned on the Apollo. Then i went to gigabyte site (Link Below) selected the "Download Type" dropdown and chose Driver. In choose OS, I chose mine which is windows 10 64bit (see screen shot for easier reference). I downloaded it and ran it.
3) Next I went to the dropdown again and downloaded the Utility and in OS type chose "ALL" (See screen shot for reference) the Utility actually gives you the instructions on the order to do it all for windows so follow it. After installing the utility I don't remember if I re started but I do remember I checked if it picked up my Apollo within Device manager and it did. (I left the Apollo ON just forgot to turn it off)
Heres Giga Link:
4) I then shutdown and REMOVED my windows hard drive (it was only used for thunderbolt driver and firmware update)
5) Next I rebooted and went into bios changed back my Bios settings for OS X Usage 10.11.6
6) Once in OSX I opened UAD meter control panel to see if the Apollo was picked up but it wasn't. (I left the window open, just forgot to close it)
7) Next, I turned on hidden files. I opened terminal (app, utility, terminal) and I pasted this command inside terminal
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES (then press ENTER) Next hold down Alt key Right click Finder Icon and click relaunch.
----- I DIDNT HAVE TO DO THE ABOVE AS IT WAS A WORKING SYSTEM ALREADY-----
8) I went to GO -> Computer -> My hard drive -> System/Library/Extensions (I had to open all in new tab double click didn't work) looked for all kext that said AppleThunderbolt (made a back up folder on desktop just incase) and I deleted them all I rebooted into BIOS. (I didn’t close Apollo app)
9) Next go to: Bios
Peripherals -> Intel(R) Thunderbolt ->
Intel Thunderbolt Technology = Enabled
ThunderBolt Boot Support = Disabled
**Security Level = LEGACY!! (THIS IS THE ONLY CHANGE from original post)!!
Thunderbolt PCIe Cache-line Size = Change to 128
Ignore Thunderbolt Option Rom = Disabled
Thunderbolt SwSMI Delay = Change to 10 (with+sign)
TBT Device IO resource Support = Enabled
Reserved Memory = Medium
Reserved Mem per phd slot = 32
Reserved Poem per phi slot = 32
** Don't ask me how I figured these numbers out, its been a long time and I totally forgot lol...
10) I rebooted with everything installed and turned ON including the UAD Meter Control Panel window which detects the Apollo it was open on desktop.
The system picked up the Apollo 8 instantly once rebooted (Not sure if leaving everything connected and running makes a difference it was just coincidently ON from prior attempts)
*NOTE - I lost audio drivers after I rebooted but simply ran multibeast and selected only my audio drivers rebooted again and I'm back in business! This was fixed with the voodooHDA-2.9.0d10 within multibeast.
Hope this helps you guys!!
I decided to upgrade my system to High Sierra ("Fresh Install" same system and "same bios firmware the F5") and the only thing I had to change on the Thunderbolt section in Bios was ** Security Level. I added the Legacy instead and it picked up my Apollo 8 instantly!!
I started the install with System definition at 14,2 then after High Sierra install I changed system definitions to 17,1 and altered my bios as stated above. Not sure if it makes a difference but it worked. just trying to give details.
Just a heads up, this "Particular" board doesn't need TB scripts. So dont go crazy trying to look for one. Just trying to save you some time.
Hope this helps once again guys!!