Contribute
Register

High Sierra Security Update 2018-002 10.13.6 Deja Vu

Status
Not open for further replies.
It works, thanks so much for your input!

Ahh awesome!! Glad i could help! I was wondering if what i did was just random luck or if it could be replicated. I hate all these new boot partitions high sierra/apfs makes. The boot priority menu in my bios is such a nightmare. I have 3 volumes labeled ‘macos’ and 3 more named ‘uefi os’ with no other info to tell them apart

I've just installed this security update...twice.
Each time I restart and launch the App Store, it tells me that the same update is available to install and doesn't show that it already was installed.
Is anyone else getting this?
Does this mean that there install never happened or it's an App Store glitch?

Have you tried what i posted here a few days ago? Seemed to work for Rosto and I

hi there. I am now having a problem where it works just fine from "boot file vault prebooter from preboot" as you suggested (thx for that!). however, now, in-order for it to boot, I have to choose that everytime. won't boot from the regular mojave drive. when I try, it goes into "installing" then restarts. like you guys, it all started with a mojave security update. Any idea how to tweak that? does that matter? obviously new at this, haha. Also, still says I didn't update when I check for updates...
thx!

I was getting a similar screen when I tried to do the update. I just got it to install after a few tries. Here's what I did:

first failure happened downloading the update as normal booted up from my regular macOS partition. when I restarted, it put me right back to the clover boot loader and trying to boot from the install partition or install pre booter would lead me to the error screen you had.

What worked for me:
randomly i decided to work my way left to right across the clover boot loader icons, and i started by booting my computer from the "boot file vault prebooter from preboot" it brought me to my regular desktop, so I went to the app store and re downloaded the update. this time, when I hit restart, it said it was installing some stuff for a little bit, then restarted straight to a progress bar loading screen. eventually it restarted again and I ended up back at my clover boot loader menu. I tried booting from the "pre boot install something" option and it gave me a circle with a line thru it, so probably don't click that. I moved on to the "install macOS something" option and that continued my installation. i think it restarted again, then i chose my regular macOS drive, booted, updated nvidia drivers, and done.

TLDR:
booting from the "boot file vault prebooter from preboot" partition and starting the install from there seemed to work for me when I was getting errors installing.

unhide any boot partitions in the gui section of clover configurator on your config.plist
restart and boot from the "boot file vault prebooter from preboot" option in the clover boot loader
go to app store, download update, restart
update should start installing, computer will restart,
boot from the "install macOS something or other" option, install continues, computer restarts
boot from your regular macOS partition
update nvidia drivers

Thank you! Worked for me. But it was necessary to enter twice in "install macOS something or other" ...

Awesome. It worked for me.
Downloaded the update, installed, it restarted system. At the boot loader, I entered each partition in sequence, at every restart.
1. fire vault prebooter
2. Mac OS install prebooter
3. Mac OS install High Sierra
4. Mac OS High Sierra

and finally came out updated on the other side. :thumbup: New Nvidia web drivers are available, so updated. Thanks

For whatever reason, I did not see the "prebooter" options even though I un-hid all partitions in Clover; all I could see were the Mac OS install High Sierra and Mac OS High Sierra options. So I allowed the system to work through the installation, reboot, and as long as the "install" partition was available, I kept choosing it. You will get a different message showing progress for each reboot (in my case, 3 times). My understanding is that when the install procedures are complete, they will either hide or unmount the "install" partition so that the next reboot will switch to the main OS partition. That's how it works on my MBP.

So, when the only option available was Mac OS High Sierra I selected it, and the install completed. The boot took quite a while for this last cycle but when it made it to the login screen, all was well except for the need to update the nVidia web drivers. A new release appeared (X.X.X.X.123 vs. 122) when I opened the nVidia control panel, so one more install/reboot cycle and that was it.

Having done the security update shuffle on my MBP laptop numerous times, it does much the same thing: 3, maybe 4 reboots to get everything loaded. The only thing which threw a wrench into the works for me was that Clover didn't automatically count down and reboot into the install partition during the installation; it only returned to auto boot when the main OS partition was the only one available. Had it done so, I probably would never have had to think about the process. This may be configurable?

I was getting a similar screen when I tried to do the update. I just got it to install after a few tries. Here's what I did:

first failure happened downloading the update as normal booted up from my regular macOS partition. when I restarted, it put me right back to the clover boot loader and trying to boot from the install partition or install pre booter would lead me to the error screen you had.

What worked for me:
randomly i decided to work my way left to right across the clover boot loader icons, and i started by booting my computer from the "boot file vault prebooter from preboot" it brought me to my regular desktop, so I went to the app store and re downloaded the update. this time, when I hit restart, it said it was installing some stuff for a little bit, then restarted straight to a progress bar loading screen. eventually it restarted again and I ended up back at my clover boot loader menu. I tried booting from the "pre boot install something" option and it gave me a circle with a line thru it, so probably don't click that. I moved on to the "install macOS something" option and that continued my installation. i think it restarted again, then i chose my regular macOS drive, booted, updated nvidia drivers, and done.

TLDR:
booting from the "boot file vault prebooter from preboot" partition and starting the install from there seemed to work for me when I was getting errors installing.

unhide any boot partitions in the gui section of clover configurator on your config.plist
restart and boot from the "boot file vault prebooter from preboot" option in the clover boot loader
go to app store, download update, restart
update should start installing, computer will restart,
boot from the "install macOS something or other" option, install continues, computer restarts
boot from your regular macOS partition
update nvidia drivers

Thank you very much for your hints. They help me to install the security update.

Thank you Timand sirhacpro managed to successfully install first try no issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back