Contribute
Register

High Sierra - RX Vega & Final Cut h.264 fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @pastrychef . I've now run into this same issue with FCPX failing on any kind of export. iMovie fails similarly which I would expect given the shared code base. I built my Hack based on your original guide except I'm running I'm running a Gigabyte Gaming 5 like @osd29 above. My system runs perfect EXCEPT for this one issue. My Clover settings - see attached config.plist are a bit different but still based on the original Vanilla guide and your settings. However, I am using iMacPro in SMBIOS as that solved a problem I was having with using Preview or Quicklook with .jpg files. I set Clover, using Vanilla guide recommendations, to only use iGPU for processing tasks and not as a display since I have the Vega 56 as my primary. I suspect this might be part of my issue. Can you explain a bit more as to what my settings should be? The Vanilla guide has settings for the iGPU as display as well so I could try those. But would prefer your help.

I'm at 99% completed with my build and this is really my last issue. But since I built the entire system to run FCPX, it's pretty important for me to fix this. Thanks!

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.4 KB · Views: 119
Hi @pastrychef . I've now run into this same issue with FCPX failing on any kind of export. iMovie fails similarly which I would expect given the shared code base. I built my Hack based on your original guide except I'm running I'm running a Gigabyte Gaming 5 like @osd29 above. My system runs perfect EXCEPT for this one issue. My Clover settings - see attached config.plist are a bit different but still based on the original Vanilla guide and your settings. However, I am using iMacPro in SMBIOS as that solved a problem I was having with using Preview or Quicklook with .jpg files. I set Clover, using Vanilla guide recommendations, to only use iGPU for processing tasks and not as a display since I have the Vega 56 as my primary. I suspect this might be part of my issue. Can you explain a bit more as to what my settings should be? The Vanilla guide has settings for the iGPU as display as well so I could try those. But would prefer your help.

I'm at 99% completed with my build and this is really my last issue. But since I built the entire system to run FCPX, it's pretty important for me to fix this. Thanks!

What vanilla guide did you follow?

If you are using iMacPro1,1 system definition, you should probably disable IGPU since the iMacPro1,1 doesn't have any.

Your config.plist > Devices > Properties is wrong. 3E910003 is headless. 3E9B0007 is not headless.

Did you have problems when you used my EFI folder?

I forgot to say that you don't need the stolenmem in config.plist > Devices > Properties. That's only used if you can not set the amount of memory to be used by IGPU in BIOS.

Thanks @pastrychef I posted a previous reply but since I included the link to the Vanilla guide I guess it has to go through the moderator approval. Should show up soon I hope. Esssentially I want to keep my iMac Pro SMBIOS setting as I have that all working with iMessage/iCloud. So hoping I can just make BIOS/Clover setting changes outside of SMBIOS to get this working. Will make the two DEVICES setting changes you suggest and see if that works.

Thanks @pastrychef I posted a previous reply but since I included the link to the Vanilla guide I guess it has to go through the moderator approval. Should show up soon I hope. Esssentially I want to keep my iMac Pro SMBIOS setting as I have that all working with iMessage/iCloud. So hoping I can just make BIOS/Clover setting changes outside of SMBIOS to get this working. Will make the two DEVICES setting changes you suggest and see if that works.

If you want to continue using iMacPro1,1 system definition, you can simply disable IGPU from BIOS and disable/delete the stuff in config.plist > Devices > Properties.

@pastrychef I just tried to make the BIOS changes per your posts above. I enabled my iGPU (previously disabled) and checked that PCIe was primary (it was). But I don't see any settings in the BIOS to change the memory allocated to the iGPU as per your post. I'm running latest Gigabyte firmware. You suggested these memory settings to @osd29 and he is running a Gigabyte MB also. Any idea why I don't have this option. I made the other Clover DEVICES changes you suggested and left the SMBIOS the same. Will test now to see if that did the trick. Will update here once done.

@pastrychef I just tried to make the BIOS changes per your posts above. I enabled my iGPU (previously disabled) and checked that PCIe was primary (it was). But I don't see any settings in the BIOS to change the memory allocated to the iGPU as per your post. I'm running latest Gigabyte firmware. You suggested these memory settings to @osd29 and he is running a Gigabyte MB also. Any idea why I don't have this option. I made the other Clover DEVICES changes you suggested and left the SMBIOS the same. Will test now to see if that did the trick. Will update here once done.

Check again. On my Asus motherboard, the option to adjust amount of RAM allocated to IGPU does not appear until after enabling IGPU and restarting.

UPDATE: so it appears fixed. I changed the BIOS to enable the iGPU and updated the ig ID to be headless. Also removed the stolenmem property completely. The one last change I made after looking the config.plist that @pastrychef shared in this thread was to remove any reference to Shiki=. My previous setting was Shiki=40. I changed this to Shiki=4 based on prior research I was doing to get the iGPU working. But based on above I deleted it entirely. Any reason I still need that? Regardless, now both FCPX and iMovie are exporting properly. Thanks for all the help.

Thnx this fixed a couple of issues for me:
- Screen recordings are working now (the new shift-cmd-5)
- Quicktime screen recordings are working
- iMovie export file works (before it only worked on Quality: Best (ProRes))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back