Contribute
Register

High Sierra - RX Vega & Final Cut h.264 fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to confirm, trick from the first post is working for me (at least it seems for now like everything is ok, I didn't experience any bugs, hangs or any problem at all).

Installation of High Sierra on my configuration has passed almost without any intervention except some drivers from Multibeast.
It seems that last version of High Sierra recognizes RX480 OOB so I didn't use Whatevergreen and Lilu kexts and have disabled IGPU in BIOS and let system works only with RX480.

So I started Clover Configurator, load my config.plist and choose iMac 14,2 (I think it could also work with 18,3) in SM BIOS section, than simply replace text in appropriate boxes whit this (without quotes):

SMB_BIOS_VERSION "IM191.88Z.0058.B00.1705091711"
SMB_PRODUCT_NAME "iMac19,1"
SMB_BOARD_PRODUCT "Mac-CF21D135A7D34AA6"

And got FCPX to export h264 normally.
It is not nearly fast as it was in Sierra with same configuration (and with Whatevergreen and Lilu kexts), but it is much better than before this trick from post #1.
In Sierra I got video of 5.5hours to be exported in 45 min, and now I got 2 hours of video on timeline to be exported in 3 hours. Or 60 sec of 1080p video for 90 sec exported, it is a ratio of 1.5x.
Before this trick and with integrated graphic turned on it take 5-6 hours for same amount of video on timeline.
So it was better/faster in Sierra than now in High Sierra, but it seems like FCPX don't fully use GPU for some reason.

I had idea to change GPU to RX580 because it is natively supported in High Sierra, maybe FCPX would use it as it is intended and that would get back speed from Sierra.
Bruce test in Sierra was 30 sec and now in High Sierra it is 35 sec if it is relevant.

Just to be clear, you are using this setup with an RX580 and the iGPU disabled? Is it still working? I'm having the same issue with my Hackintosh build using an i7 8700K and an RX580. This is my first Hackintosh build (just completed this morning) and I cannot export H.264 from Final Cut without enabling the iGPU, which leaves the RX580 doing nothing and the export itself runs as slow as molasses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just to be clear, you are using this setup with an RX580 and the iGPU disabled? Is it still working? I'm having the same issue with my Hackintosh build using an i7 8700K and an RX580. This is my first Hackintosh build (just completed this morning) and I cannot export H.264 from Final Cut without enabling the iGPU, which leaves the RX580 doing nothing and the export itself runs as slow as molasses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Updating to 10.13.6 killed rendering H264 video in both FCPX and the QT application. I did not want to try the 19,1 SMBIOS trick as my Messages and handoff, FaceTime etc. were all working perfectly under 18,3. I did many experiments and was lucky enough to be able to A/B against my i5 6400 GA Z170H R9 280X box (which had no H264 problems). I could get my main system, listed on the left, working with the iGPU so it had to be the RX 580 or APFS. 10.12.6 had no problems.

Yes I know, acfs.kext is not required if you have AptioMemoryFix-64 and ApfsDriverLoader.efi but here is the setup that has miraculously worked. I'm sure the more knowledgeable will have comments.

1) I turned on the iGPU on in the BIOS and set it to boot from the iGPU.
2) I added back acfs.kext to the drivers64UEFI along with AptioMemoryFix-64 and ApfsDriverLoader. If I didn't do this the machine would just go into an endless reboot loop.
3) I added back Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext because the RX 580 would not work otherwise (In Other)
4) Inject Intel and RadeonDeinit were turned on in Clover Configurator.

This goes against recommended procedures but it's working.

I have iGPU enabled in BIOS (128MB-256MB) but projects sent to Compressor are always failing about 10 seconds into the render. I've used "Send to Compressor" from FCPX and also standalone Compressor mode with a masterfile export from FCPX. Trying to replicate to see if it just doesn't like certain files.
FWIW, Handbrake runs great. Right-clicking Encode Video file from the finder works, but does not use the GPU.

19,1 definition works for me Radedon Vega Frontier Edition and Mojave

Hi, guys !

It's been 2 months since I've been on my first Hackintosh in High Sierra 10.13.6. Last weekend I realized that I couldn't export from iMovie. Apart from sharing by email in small size (428x240).
I read and reread the post several times. This morning I was able to modify and complete the SMBIOS part via Clover Configurator (it was almost empty from the beginning ^_^'). However, nothing is done about it. I still have my message: Sharing failure. XXXX's export failed.
I'm annoyed because I only use iMovie to export videos for customers.
Could you tell me if there is something wrong with what I have done so far? Can I possibly be guided to solve my problem?

Capture d’écran 2018-11-17 à 11.49.45.png Capture d’écran 2018-11-17 à 11.50.03.png
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Hi, guys !

It's been 2 months since I've been on my first Hackintosh in High Sierra 10.13.6. Last weekend I realized that I couldn't export from iMovie. Apart from sharing by email in small size (428x240).
I read and reread the post several times. This morning I was able to modify and complete the SMBIOS part via Clover Configurator (it was almost empty from the beginning ^_^'). However, nothing is done about it. I still have my message: Sharing failure. XXXX's export failed.
I'm annoyed because I only use iMovie to export videos for customers.
Could you tell me if there is something wrong with what I have done so far? Can I possibly be guided to solve my problem?

View attachment 365963 View attachment 365964
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Have you tried with IGPU enabled and with iMac18,3 system definition?

Well, I just tried it with the iMac 18.3 configuration without success. I couldn't find IGPU to activate it in my BIOS setup. I have something that looks like IGPX (currently PCIE-1). Is it the same thing?

I will give you my config.plist if this can make it easier for me to help solve this problem.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.5 KB · Views: 134
Well, I just tried it with the iMac 18.3 configuration without success. I couldn't find IGPU to activate it in my BIOS setup. I have something that looks like IGPX (currently PCIE-1). Is it the same thing?

I will give you my config.plist if this can make it easier for me to help solve this problem.

Enable IGPU in BIOS. Set primary to PCIE and assign 64MB or more to the IGPU.

Install Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and use attached config.plist.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.5 KB · Views: 148
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back