Contribute
Register

High Sierra - RX Vega & Final Cut h.264 fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just upgraded to a Sapphire RX 580 and have the same issue as OP but after his fix I found I lost all CPU speed stepping and was fixed at 3.5 GHz so back to my original config of iMac 14,2. For the time being I think if I need to encode h.264 from FCP i’ll just flip on the igpu and encode.
Hopefully a more elegant solution will be found or does anyone think that something may change with a future update to FCP?

I just upgraded to a Sapphire RX 580 and have the same issue as OP but after his fix I found I lost all CPU speed stepping and was fixed at 3.5 GHz so back to my original config of iMac 14,2. For the time being I think if I need to encode h.264 from FCP i’ll just flip on the igpu and encode.
Hopefully a more elegant solution will be found or does anyone think that something may change with a future update to FCP?

Did you try for RX 580 :

1. download this script: https://www.theitsage.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/enable-baffin-CUs.sh_.zip
2. Terminal: chmod +x enable-baffin-CUs.sh
3. Terminal: for Ellesmere sudo ./enable-baffin-CUs.sh ellesmere 36
4. Reboot.

See more :https://www.theitsage.com/install-radeon-rx-480-gpu-macos-sierra/

Last edited:
Last edited:
Interesting. Will look into. Did this resolve the h.264 issue for you or is it just to fully enable all compute cores? Thanks.

I am not expert in the video encoding process, I just replied to share the settings that I use on my X299 version.

But this afternoon I took the time to learn more about video encoding and I found on the Apple site something interesting about h.265 that seems to be equal to h.264 in terms quality but significantly lighter, take a look here :

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208238

If you can debrief what you think, it will be useful to me.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I am not expert in the video encoding process, I just replied to share the settings that I use on my X299 version.

But this afternoon I took the time to learn more about video encoding and I found on the Apple site something interesting about h.265 that seems to be equal to h.264 in terms quality but significantly lighter, take a look here :

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208238

If you can debrief what you think, I will be useful to me.
Thanks.
Following

My Luxmark has gone from 25000 to 27000 :)
Well done!
I wonder if someone very clever can make a small GPU overclocking app now...
edit:
And Heaven from 5000 to 6000! But the temps before were max 45 and now max 91. I have an EK waterblock on a FE, with a water FE bios flashed.
So I guess it might pay to be careful with this stuff...
View attachment 328166 View attachment 328167

I have water cool Vega 64, and my fan was not that noise or high. I tried to use this method and after boot I noticed the fan now little high rpm. But my luxmark 25000->>27000 as you mentioned. BUT! Crashed or Freezes with some games (Tomb raider and D3). Fan noise and graphic squeeze noise so high when I use games. It was ok with original kext. So I put it back to original and now ok. The fan issue with new clean install with 10.13.4, no more. I do not know why they still struggling with it. I am using iMac pro 1,1.

The fan issue with new clean install with 10.13.4, no more. I am using iMac pro 1,1.

No the fan issue is not fixed by Apple by 10.13.4 or even 10.13.5 beta.

Stop spreading this as a fact. You want to redirect us (the lazy & clueless) to your website where you promise "fan issues fixed" if we buy your DSDT/SSDT.

I was a fool to use your guides (found out later they were direct COPY PASTE from TonyMac threads) and buy your DSDT + donate when things didn't work. And still don't work.

I hope Karma exists...

/sorry off topic

As a quick fix, instead of changing PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable or PP_DisablePowerContainment:

Just set PP_PhmUseDummyBackEnd from 0 to 1. My leds stopped flashing and the fan speeds are lower.
I suppose it's not as good as a correct PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable, but oh well - i think it's a good intermediate workaround.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back