Contribute
Register

High Sierra ROG Maximus X Hero - First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Benjamin, are you trying to boot via some kind of USB? Like a hard drive in a case connected to a USB port on your computer?

The problem was (and still is) that when I boot from the HS USB into the clover I am able to see the drives connected to the MOBO. However, when I boot the macOS install from the HS USB I am not able to see the drives. I thought a workaround would be to plug in an HD docking station and see if the macOS install would see the SSD. It did and I installed HS on it. I know have the SSD in SATA slot1 of the MOBO. I have moved to other slots as well trying to troubleshoot.

The problem was (and still is) that when I boot from the HS USB into the clover I am able to see the drives connected to the MOBO. However, when I boot the macOS install from the HS USB I am not able to see the drives. I thought a workaround would be to plug in an HD docking station and see if the macOS install would see the SSD. It did and I installed HS on it. I know have the SSD in SATA slot1 of the MOBO. I have moved to other slots as well trying to troubleshoot.

Okay, so if the drive is an SSD (and NOT an NVMe drive - remember, they are different), then is the drive connected via SATA connectors to your motherboard? Because the "HID Legacy shim 2" error is often an issue with the macOS trying to boot via an alternative type connection, in particular, USB 3.

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about the USB thumb drive you have been using to install macOS. I'm talking about the SSD, an actual drive that I think you have installed macOS on.

And that brings up another question: Above you infer that you have installed High Sierra on a drive, and I believe it is an SSD. Have you ever been able to see that drive boot at all? When you attempt to boot to it, and you do a -v in clover, does it ever even start to boot? If it stops, what line does it stop at? (As near as you can tell....)

So, if your SSD stops boot at or near the HID Legacy shim 2 line, you might want to try one of the following:

The options would be: open the case and install the SSD as an internal drive (preferred)

OR: At the very least try to boot via a known working USB 2 port on your computer. Check your motherboard manual to find out which ports are USB 2 and which are not.

Also, I've attached a screenshot of an NVMe drive. Does your SSD look like it? Or does it look like a regular internal hard drive?

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 1.34.18 PM.png

Last edited:
:)

Follow this link, post 9 : [SUCCES] Asus Maximus VII Hero NVidia GTX970- Install guide - High Sierra 10.13.4

Note also that you need to perform your installation with Unibeast using a USB 2.0 16 Gb flashdrive plugged in one of your back USB 2.0 ports is ideal ( cos I noticed that you set your preferred boot drive in BIOS to be your SSD - just hope that when you indeed boot - pressing F8 - you select the flashdrive ) .

Okay, so if the drive is an SSD (and NOT an NVMe drive - remember, they are different), then is the drive connected via SATA connectors to your motherboard? Because the "HID Legacy shim 2" error is often an issue with the macOS trying to boot via an alternative type connection, in particular, USB 3.

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about the USB thumb drive you have been using to install macOS. I'm talking about the SSD, an actual drive that I think you have installed macOS on.

And that brings up another question: Above you infer that you have installed High Sierra on a drive, and I believe it is an SSD. Have you ever been able to see that drive boot at all? When you attempt to boot to it, and you do a -v in clover, does it ever even start to boot? If it stops, what line does it stop at? (As near as you can tell....)

So, if your SSD stops boot at or near the HID Legacy shim 2 line, you might want to try one of the following:

The options would be: open the case and install the SSD as an internal drive (preferred)

OR: At the very least try to boot via a known working USB 2 port.

Also, I've attached a screenshot of an NVMe drive. Does your SSD look like it? Or does it look like a regular internal hard drive?

View attachment 326433

Thank you so much @mm2margaret for helping out.

This is what I have going on I have a USB 2.0 drive that I used to for UniBeast. I put that drive into a 2.0 port on the MOBO.
IMG_1070.jpeg

I have a 500GB Samsung SSD that I put in an HD docking station in order to install the OS on it from the HS USB.
The SSD is now an internal drive with HS installed on it.
54577776691__80133607-631C-40FC-86A2-DFEBD05F8F20.jpeg
I also went out and purchased an NVMe drive as I read that my SSD may be the issue and many builds seemed to have had success with the NVMe drive.
54577773747__055DAE00-5D81-4897-8294-B531974819C4.jpeg

MSR 0XE2 probably refers to parts of the bios is locked and can't be written to....this is common with bios from Asus.....see @kgp posts if you want more detail...."......On a real Mac with native OSX XCPM power management, the MSR 0xE2 register is unlocked and therefore writeable. However, on ASUS mobos this register is usually read only...."

And, the MSR 0xE2 register does not have to be unlocked to install macOS. I have an Asus X99-A II and I have not unlocked the MSR 0xE2 register, and installed macOS successfully on it (many times). And you have an Asus motherboard that you have installed the macOS on. So, it's not required.

Thanks for the explanation.

I searched a little and found that this is how it looks when locked:
Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 10.14.01 PM.png

This is how it looks on mine:
Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 5.04.54 PM.png

I don't see anything saying it's locked.

Thanks for the explanation.

I searched a little and found that this is how it looks when locked:
View attachment 326440

This is how it looks on mine:
View attachment 326441

I don't see anything saying it's locked.

It may not be on yours. It is on mine. So, go figure.....but that error is common to when the macOS/or Something attempts to write to an area int the bios that it can't. @kgp knows more about this topic than most.....

Last edited:
Thank you so much @mm2margaret for helping out.

This is what I have going on I have a USB 2.0 drive that I used to for UniBeast. I put that drive into a 2.0 port on the MOBO.
View attachment 326439

I have a 500GB Samsung SSD that I put in an HD docking station in order to install the OS on it from the HS USB.
The SSD is now an internal drive with HS installed on it.
View attachment 326437
I also went out and purchased an NVMe drive as I read that my SSD may be the issue and many builds seemed to have had success with the NVMe drive.
View attachment 326436

Okay, great. We've now established that you do have an SSD and it is installed via your internal SATA connectors. Right? Right

So, let's try something.

- Boot into your bios
- In my Asus bios, in the Advanced (F7) view, if you move the arrow keys right or left, it will cycle you through some headings in the bios. Go to the one called Boot and then press the down arrow to the bottom of the screen.
- There you should see all the drives in your system. Can you post a snapshot of that screen?
- In particular, do you see your Samsung drive identified with a UEFI in front of it? Some drives may not have a EUFI in front of them. You may even see two listings for your Samsung drive, one with the UEFI in front and one without.

This is what mine looks like (its a little busy right now, normally I don't have this many drives attached):

180418221113.jpg

Just a couple of quick tips: CSM should be in auto or disabled, and the OS should be "other OS"

And your USB settings should look similar to this:

180418221050.jpg

You remember how to screen capture in the Asus bios, right? (F12 and a FAT formatted USB drive to write to....)

Last edited:
Can you set your SATA mode to AHCI?

281388-4fbd7f18df3b23a4fd6323bef011f6e3.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 4.48.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 4.48.08 PM.png
    554.7 KB · Views: 208
Can you set your SATA mode to AHCI?

281388-4fbd7f18df3b23a4fd6323bef011f6e3.jpg

I'm dropping out because the idea of running competition in a troubleshooting event with other folks is foolish, and a real waste of time, in my view.....so keep working with juseon123.....all the best, and I hope you get it fixed!

Last edited:
Okay, great. We've now established that you do have an SSD and it is installed via your internal SATA connectors. Right? Right

So, let's try something.

- Boot into your bios
- In my Asus bios, in the Advanced (F7) view, if you move the arrow keys right or left, it will cycle you through some headings in the bios. Go to the one called Boot and then press the down arrow to the bottom of the screen.
- There you should see all the drives in your system. Can you post a snapshot of that screen?
- In particular, do you see your Samsung drive identified with a UEFI in front of it? Some drives may not have a EUFI in front of them. You may even see two listings for your Samsung drive, one with the UEFI in front and one without.

This is what mine looks like (its a little busy right now, normally I don't have this many drives attached):

View attachment 326447

Just a couple of quick tips: CSM should be in auto or disabled, and the OS should be "other OS"

And your USB settings should look similar to this:

View attachment 326448

You remember how to screen capture in the Asus bios, right? (F12 and a FAT formatted USB drive to write to....)

@mm2margaret I did not know how to take screenshots of BIOS thank you for teaching me that. Much better than taking them with my phone and uploading.

I am not seeing my SSD in the Boot menu. But I do see it as an attached drive. I had to format the SSD drive to APFS in order to install HS. Should I format it again to MacOS Journaled with the GUID Partition Map?
180418195038.jpg 180418193806.jpg

I set the CSM to Auto.
180418193609.jpg

Here are the USB options:
180418193736.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 250
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back