Contribute
Register

High Sierra ROG Maximus X Hero - First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not able to boot to my SSD from the build, but I can from my MAC. I am able to see the SSD when I boot into Clover and I am able to select the SSD. I have placed working EFI folders onto the USB drive and still have not had any success. I have formatted the SSD as an APFS and as a MAC OS Extended Journal both with GUID Partition mapped. I have installed the operating system on both formats via my MAC and am able to boot from the SSD on my MAC. I have created multiple different USB combinations and I feel like I am just on the edge of getting this to work. But that I am missing a few key things. I took a look at Storks build and he has a different SSD. I have considered that the SATA may not be the best fit for this build and that the NVMe SSD is. I'll keep updating and trying any suggestions as I am dedicated to getting this Hackintosh up and running.

Try putting a good EFI folder on to the EFI partition of your SSD.

I don't see why a SATA SSD isn't a good fit. I've booted my systems from SATA SSDs at one point or another.

Try putting a good EFI folder on to the EFI partition of your SSD.

I don't see why a SATA SSD isn't a good fit. I've booted my systems from SATA SSDs at one point or another.
I'm not sure how to get to the EFI Partition of my SSD.

software called efi mounter in the downloads section will help you

When you use "diskutil list", it shows you the EFI partition.
Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 12.00.13 AM.png

In this example, you would enter the following to mount the EFI partition for the Macintosh SSD drive.
Code:
diskutier mount /dev/disk0s1

Once mounted, you can just copy a good EFI folder to the EFI partition.

software called efi mounter in the downloads section will help you
Thanks @feartech. I downloaded the EFI Mounter v3 and it is not seeing the SSD. Might I need to reformat it from APFS back to MAC OS Journaled? I see the other disks that are on my MAC.

Thanks @feartech. I downloaded the EFI Mounter v3 and it is not seeing the SSD. Might I need to reformat it from APFS back to MAC OS Journaled? I see the other disks that are on my MAC.
UPDATE: @pastrychef thank you for your post. That gives me a lot of direction.

Hi,

Can you confirm that your Build SSD formatted in APFS still does not list when running "diskutil list" command from the terminal of your HS USB installer? If diskutil lists your SSD then you can disregard my previous suggestion about using NVMe SSD.

So, are you saying that even your Mac does not output your "Build SSD formatted in APFS" drive in the list when you run "diskutil list" command from your working Mac? Referring back to post #76, I don't understand how you did what bogdanw suggested then.

Anyways, if you can see your Build SSD formatted in APFS from your working Mac, and if EFI Mounter v3 does not work,
Try the following (In a case that your Mac sees your SSD in APFS format)

All of theses are to be done from your working Mac.
1. Create bootable HS install media.
2. Do a full install of HS on your Build SSD using install media you just created.
3. Install Clover to your SSD (Make sure it's your Build SSD)
4. Now run these commands from the terminal

Find disk identifier of your EFI partition of your Build SSD
Code:
Diskutil List
Mount EFI partition of your Build SSD (Disk identifier is based on your Post #67, replace it accordingly)
Code:
Diskutil mount /dev/disk3s1
Find a correct volume name of your Build SSD's EFI partition. It can be EFI 1, EFI 2, or EFI 3
Code:
ls -a /volumes
Open your EFI partition (If you don't know which one is the right one, try to open all the EFI partition by running below command. For the command, simply replace 1 with 2 or 3. Only one of those efi partitions will pop up in folder because you mounted only one of them)
Code:
open /volumes/efi\ 1
5. Once your EFI partition is opened in folder, as pastrychef suggested, copy the good EFI folder to EFI partition of your Build SSD.

After you have done all the steps, attach your ssd back to your build and see if you can boot from it.

Last edited:
See response below.

Hi,

Can you confirm that your Build SSD formatted in APFS still does not list when running "diskutil list" command from the terminal of your HS USB installer? If diskutil lists your SSD then you can disregard my previous suggestion about using NVMe SSD.

I can confirm that the APFS did not list when running "diskutil list" from the HS USB install Terminal command.
My NVMe SSD arrived and I am not able to see that from the HS USB install Terminal command either.

So, are you saying that even your Mac does not output your "Build SSD formatted in APFS" drive in the list when you run "diskutil list" command from your working Mac? Referring back to post #76, I don't understand how you did what bogdanw suggested then.

When I run "diskutil list" from my MAC it could see the Build SSD. However, when running the EFI Mounter v3 there was not EFI to mount as it did not see the disk.

Moving onto this test now.
| | |
V V V
Anyways, if you can see your Build SSD formatted in APFS from your working Mac, and if EFI Mounter v3 does not work,
Try the following (In a case that your Mac sees your SSD in APFS format)

All of these are to be done from your working Mac.
1. Create bootable HS install media.
2. Do a full install of HS on your Build SSD using install media you just created.
3. Install Clover to your SSD (Make sure it's your Build SSD)
4. Now run these commands from the terminal

Find disk identifier of your EFI partition of your Build SSD
Code:
Diskutil List
Mount EFI partition of your Build SSD (Disk identifier is based on your Post #67, replace it accordingly)
Code:
Diskutil mount /dev/disk3s1

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 11.04.08 PM.png

The APFS has no EFI partition
Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 11.09.36 PM.png

I will admit I feel a bit defeated as now my build is virtually identical to @Stork's
MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580

I'll keep trying.

I can confirm that the APFS did not list when running "diskutil list" from the HS USB install Terminal command.
My NVMe SSD arrived and I am not able to see that from the HS USB install Terminal command either.

When I run "diskutil list" from my MAC it could see the Build SSD. However, when running the EFI Mounter v3 there was not EFI to mount as it did not see the disk.

Moving onto this test now.
| | |
V V V

View attachment 325388

The APFS has no EFI partition
View attachment 325389

I will admit I feel a bit defeated as now my build is virtually identical to @Stork's
MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580

I'll keep trying.

Both your SSDs have EFI folders...

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 11.04.08 PM.png

/dev/disk0s1 is the EFI for Macintosh SSD.
/dev/disk3s1 is the EFI for Untitled.

You can try copying my EFI folder to /dev/disk0s1 and see if you can boot from Macintosh SSD. My EFI folders are attached to my Z370-G build description. Link is below in my signature.

Warning: DO NOT try to boot the Clover boot loader on a real Mac!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back