Contribute
Register

High Sierra ROG Maximus X Hero - First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can try copying my EFI folder to /dev/disk0s1 and see if you can boot from Macintosh SSD.

I believe above output is from his real Mac. Which means disk0 is his real Mac's SSD

Last edited:
As I had a lot of trouble with my board in the beginning: Shure your MSR 0xE2 register is unlocked?

No idea. Check thread [UEFIPatch] UEFI patching utility at insanely. After some search I suppose your MSR 0xE2 is unlocked, but I´m not shure.

Just some of the problems I had reminded me on problemse here in this thread. 2 years ago I had to patch my Asus Bios to unlock the MSR 0xE2 register. Also CSM in BIOS must be disabled. This where the 2 main start problems I had.

Last edited:
I thought I would try something and thus far it seems to confirm what I was thinking. I plugged in an HD docking station into one of the USB ports and the HS USB in another. Sure enough, the HS USB Install can see the SSD plugged into the HD docking station. I don't know why but I am not seeing the NVMe SSD or the three 5TB HD plugged into the MOBO when running Disk Utility on the HS USB. However, BIOS can show me every single drive be it the SSD, the NVMe SSD, or the three 5TB HD.

I can boot to the SSD now but I am getting a Legacy Shim 2 error.
IMG_1218.jpeg

Can you attach the EFI folder from your USB flash drive?

No idea. Check thread [UEFIPatch] UEFI patching utility at insanely. After some search I suppose your MSR 0xE2 is unlocked, but I´m not shure.

Just some of the problems I had reminded me on problemse here in this thread. 2 years ago I had to patch my Asus Bios to unlock the MSR 0xE2 register. Also CSM in BIOS must be disabled. This where the 2 main start problems I had.
My CSM is Disabled. I am still working on figuring out how to change the MSR 0xE2 on the MOBO. I am following https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...c-pro-successful-build-extended-guide.229353/
as that has a detailed guide.

Please try this EFI. It's essentially the same as the EFI folders I have in my Z370-G guide.

Also, I don't know if you are aware, but some Asus Z370 motherboards have an issue with the RAM. Here's a quote from my Z370-G thread:
Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 12.34.10 AM.png

Edit:
Sorry. Forgot to add some KextsToPatch... Please download again...

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Please try this EFI. It's essentially the same as the EFI folders I have in my Z370-G guide.

Also, I don't know if you are aware, but some Asus Z370 motherboards have an issue with the RAM. Here's a quote from my Z370-G thread:
View attachment 326073

Edit:
Sorry. Forgot to add some KextsToPatch... Please download again...

I grabbed the updated EFI file and placed that in the EFI partition of the USB drive. I even pulled the SSD and stuck it back into the HD docking station, mounted the EFI and placed the EFI file you uploaded there as well. Again I really appreciate all of the help.
Here is the screen I get. I have placed the USB drive in the USB 2.0 and USB 3.1 ports and get the same message.
IMG_1220.jpeg

As far as the RAM goes I have all slots filled. Each one with 16GB of RAM for a total of 64GB.

What are your thoughts on unlocking the MSR 0xE2 register? Is that still necessary with this MOBO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back