Contribute
Register

High Sierra Random Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my case I've been running memtest all weekend unsuccessfully. After disabling XMP in the BIOS it passed. Then I manually lowered my 3000MHz RAM to 2800 MHz and it passed with all four sticks in. I am now leaving my system on to see if it will freeze. So far it's been sitting idle for about 14 hours without a freeze. Fingers crossed it was a RAM issue dealing with voltage since I have an overclocked processor.

After disabling XMP in the BIOS it passed. Then I manually lowered my 3000MHz RAM to 2800 MHz and it passed with all four sticks in...
I also have XMP disabled - due to the machine not booting at all (XMP enabled is on my todo list)

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me why my computer wouldn't want to run the RAM at its top speed but bumping to down to 2800 MHz would work from a theoretical perspective? I have a 7820x Silicon Lottery chip at 4.8GHz. I'm an overclocking and Hackintosh noob and am trying to learn... thanks.

I can confirm that the freeze caused by intel graphic.

Before i used 750 TI and not get this issue but after changing from 750 ti to HD530 i got this issue.

Tried many ways but not successully.

Good day people!

I have been fighting this freeze issue since first day of installation. However, I am not experiencing any kernel panics inside the logs and do not have anything in system log that may be helpful upon lockup.

My only inkling too is that it may be intel related. My machine has a gigabyte h97m-d3h motherboard. This I believe is somewhere in the region of unsupported intel graphics that still work. I never had an issue on El Capitan.
I managed to find a way to that replicates the freeze often for me and this post linked below happened to solve it (as far as i can tell with small testing)

This post
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ng-hardware-crash-lockup.240578/#post-1650662

I used the kexts along only the fakeSMC and appleHDA (not using clover inject for audio) and it appears to no longer freeze.

Goodluck, will keep updated if continues to function or is not solved.

edit: First post! :)

Last edited:
I've got high sierra installed on my Gigabyte h270m-ds3h with i7 7700k using the integrated intel hd630 gfx. I'm using the display port for my monitor. Everything seems to work including a firewire card. The problem is the system freezes within a few minutes of using it. This has happened consistently and have tried a few things but no success. I get a spinning ball and everything stops working. This sounds like stuff people are seeing in this thread but not sure if the same. Today I decided instead of rebooting I'd just walk away and see what happens. After maybe 15 or more minutes I found a crash message saying the finder had stopped working. I've attached that. I also found that not only did everything work again but now it wasn't freezing as quickly as it did. I was able to use it for 15 minutes and nothing bad happened. I haven't tried restarting to see if magically everything is wonderful.

Attachments

• Crash.txt
    97.6 KB · Views: 190
Hi,
I also experience random freezes.
Sometimes it is just a beach ball for 10-20 sec while the system is responsive and I can move windows, click on other apps and so on (but cannot interact with the problematic app itself) and sometimes it a hard freeze with a beach ball and can't move the mouse at all.

I installed High Sierra after not having a hackintosh for a few years and I didn't remember it being so slow and bad, so I formatted the SSD and installed Sierra, and it works like a charm, works even faster than I remembered.
I am now again on High Sierra but the problem persists, it is something that is MacOS version related (APFS maybe ?).
The problem starts right from the beginning even before installing clover or Nvidia drivers,
Installing lilu + WhateverGreen didn't help.

Any ideas ?

I can confirm that the freeze caused by intel graphic.

Before i used 750 TI and not get this issue but after changing from 750 ti to HD530 i got this issue.

Tried many ways but not successully.

try changing the Internal Graphics Memory Size in the BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back