Contribute
Register

High Sierra Random Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not related at all but I have been having random freezes that seem worse over the past few weeks. I have Skylake i5 CPU, 32GB RAM and AMD RX 560 4 GB and High Sierra 10.13.4. Screen freezes, no Bluetooth Magic mouse, Apple Bluetooth keyboard or Bluetooth Magic Trackpad, all seems locked. Only thing to do was hard restart. Happened twice today but when you push the power button the Restart, Sleep, Shutdown, Cancel dialogue pops up suggesting the machine isn't frozen. Last time I connected a Microsoft wireless mouse and everything worked fine except Bluetooth connected devices. On my machine it seems Bluetooth sleeps/freezes causing the appearance of a frozen machine.
As a follow up the PCI-express wireless, bluetooth card I have was plugged direct into a motherboard header since a change a month or so ago just to tidy up the rear of the case. After my above post I changed it to a USB cable out through the back of the machine into a USB port and for the last 4 days I have had no random freezes at all. Fingers crossed that's stopped it.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction with my issue. I'm going to work on getting console logs but I don't have them yet. My freeze issue "seems" like it could be graphic related. The desktop stops responding to clicks, but the system is still running fine in the background, I just can't use it... I know it's still "up", because from another PC not only can I ping it, but I can bring up the plex library running on the "frozen" customac, play movies, start transcoding, whatever.. I have to restart to get the desktop back to normal, and then it's totally sporadic as to when it will happen again. I have the intel 3000 and have run the extra config in multibeast for it. I'll see if I can time the issue with the console log, and post- just curious if anyone has seen this and has any thoughts for a fix.

Another note to add- this same system has been running Yosemite 24/7 w/ no issues, so I really doubt it's hardware. I yanked that drive, and started fresh with a new one, installing Sierra first, and immediately HS after.. I would have gone HS straight away- but had too many issues trying to get the unibeast flash drive to build correctly.

I still haven't managed to get console logs because this is so random.. bumping to see if anyone has any thoughts?

Hey guys, I hope this message finds you all well.

Am not new to Hackintosh but not senior either, am having a weird issue where my Hackintosh freezes after a while of not using it and I am not sure how to solve this problem. I bet all the configs could be a little messy but I really need some help here.

Freezing is one problem, the other one is Sleep mode not working and also my GTX 1070 shows only 256MB vram which is incorrect. Anyways I hope with your help I can get this all figured out.

This is my dump file that includes all the information based on the script Dragon wrote.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I hope this message finds you all well.

Am not new to Hackintosh but not senior either, am having a weird issue where my Hackintosh freezes after a while of not using it and I am not sure how to solve this problem. I bet all the configs could be a little messy but I really need some help here.

Freezing is one problem, the other one is Sleep mode not working and also my GTX 1070 shows only 256MB vram which is incorrect. Anyways I hope with your help I can get this all figured out.

This is my dump file that includes all the information based on the script Dragon wrote.

Thanks for the help in advance.

KP dumps would help: #119

Also: #172

KP dumps would help: #119

Also: #172

Hi Thireus and thank you for your time, please find attached all of my crash files in a zip file if that helps. I am having hard time figuring out what the problem is (if you have some time too look into that).

Attachments

• kernel_panic_files.zip
    391.3 KB · Views: 94
Hi Thireus and thank you for your time, please find attached all of my crash files in a zip file if that helps. I am having hard time figuring out what the problem is (if you have some time too look into that).

Hum... I'd recommend you to enable remote login. Next time you get a freeze, check if you can ssh to the machine. I'm suspecting you're not getting hard freezes but UI freezes (most likely GPU-related).

Have you tried to leave the computer running for a few minutes when the freezes happen? WindowServer might eventually restart automatically after a while (this happened to me at some point in the past when I had issues with my GPU).

thanks, actually it was the GPU. I had to re-install the entire os after a good format and now everything works just fine.

I am also having freezes after leaving the machine idle for 5-12 hours. OSX 10.13.3. No keyboard or mouse response, I have screensaver and energy saver stuff all turned off, I can see the system clock frozen. I removed the mediaanalysis file referenced by others in this thread with no luck.

This system was built by a very experienced builder and none of the other builds of his are doing this. He did a burn in test for 15 hours and no issues. I get no crash reports. I disabled all wifi and ethernet connections and it will still freeze. Next thing we are going to try is changing some of the bios settings to auto and remove the overclocking. The freezing never happens while I am using the computer but it's super annoying when I am doing a big download overnight and the thing freezes on me. Maybe I'll try to ssh into the machine to see if it's a GPU issue. Any other ideas?

Hello
I successfully build my first Hackintosh :)

I was experiencing some issues with system stability due to TIMED-OUT WAITING FOR NMI-ACK error resulting in the panic hard freeze (on both 10.13.4 and 10.13.5). It happened to me few times a day, but for last 24 hours, my system is stable.

Now I am running 10.13.5 (17F77).

I have made two changes that I think solved my hard freeze problem (hopefully forever) by adding kext files to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other:
1. Added NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext (v 1.2.6) - I read that it has a workaround for Interface Lag, so this may be actually fix
2. Added some sensor related kext LPCSensors.kext, GPUSensors.kext, CPUSensors.kext, ACPISensors.kext. This was done for iStat Menu application sensor read compatibility, so I guess this may be irelevant for freezes

Configuration:
Asus 299 Deluxe
Core i9 7940X
4x16GB DDR4 Gskill Trident
Geforce 1060GTX 3GB (Nvidia Web Driver 387.10.10.10.35.106)
Samsung 970 Pro (AFS formatted)
Seagate IronWolf NAS 7200 8TB
TP-Link Archer T9E AC1900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back