Contribute
Register

High Sierra Random Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will you please share your EFI?

I'm planning on releasing an article on my blog, the EFI detail will be shared there. I'll keep you posted.

But from what I can tell from your Kernel Panics, it's very likely that your issue is hardware-related. Your Kernel Panics are super random, by that I mean that your Kernel crashes unconditionally at anytime... I've been building this Rampage VI hackintosh since late 2017 and never faced similar issue (even when my EFI was crap and BIOS not patched). Kernel Panics shouldn't be random like that, unless your build has 100 issues at the same time...

I'd recommend:

- Booting on Windows and stress testing your hardware there
- Reseting your BIOS to default settings (with the good options enabled to boot MacOS)
- Removing all your RAM, jus leaving one stick
- Removing ALL PCIE devices, except your GPU
- Removing ALL kexts in Clover down to the bare minimum to boot (even if that means breaking useful functionalities)
- Removing ALL kexts patches in Clover (except the essential ones to boot)
- Removing ALL third party drivers (such as NVidia drivers)

So basically start fresh, create a USB Clover and create a new OSX partition freshly installed.

Normally if your BIOS settings are default, your Clover at bare minimum and your MacOS a fresh install, you shouldn't face any KPs... if you do and they appear to generate random reports, then there is definitely something wrong with your hardware: bad CPU, bad GPU, bad RAM.

If you are stable with the above, then restore some of the additions one after the other while monitoring if you get random KPs... it will most likely take days... but in the end you'll be able to figure out where was the issue coming from.

FYI, have a look at what I went through: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99193-Help!-System-hangs-freezes-when-overclocked

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I just try to update my os to 10.13.4 and the corresponding Nvidia driver. The freeze keeps apprearing...

I strongly recommend to diagnose the issue under Windows with stress testers of any sorts (Prime95, 3DMark, etc.) first. That will help you understand if it's hardware related or not. If Windows is stable, I'd recommend removing all kexts you got for Clover down to the bare minimum to boot the OS, including removing installed third party drivers (such as Nvidia drivers). Also remove all clover hacks such as kernel patches (i.e. USB limit patch) down to the bare minimum just to boot the OS.

I strongly recommend to diagnose the issue under Windows with stress testers of any sorts (Prime95, 3DMark, etc.) first. That will help you understand if it's hardware related or not. If Windows is stable, I'd recommend removing all kexts you got for Clover down to the bare minimum to boot the OS, including removing installed third party drivers (such as Nvidia drivers). Also remove all clover hacks such as kernel patches (i.e. USB limit patch) down to the bare minimum just to boot the OS.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I have confirmed that my hardware is absolute stable via windows, linux and booting from memtest. I ran very heavy task on Linux over weeks and it is of no error.

I'm planning on releasing an article on my blog, the EFI detail will be shared there. I'll keep you posted.

But from what I can tell from your Kernel Panics, it's very likely that your issue is hardware-related. Your Kernel Panics are super random, by that I mean that your Kernel crashes unconditionally at anytime... I've been building this Rampage VI hackintosh since late 2017 and never faced similar issue (even when my EFI was crap and BIOS not patched). Kernel Panics shouldn't be random like that, unless your build has 100 issues at the same time...

I'd recommend:

- Booting on Windows and stress testing your hardware there
- Reseting your BIOS to default settings (with the good options enabled to boot MacOS)
- Removing all your RAM, jus leaving one stick
- Removing ALL PCIE devices, except your GPU
- Removing ALL kexts in Clover down to the bare minimum to boot (even if that means breaking useful functionalities)
- Removing ALL kexts patches in Clover (except the essential ones to boot)
- Removing ALL third party drivers (such as NVidia drivers)

So basically start fresh, create a USB Clover and create a new OSX partition freshly installed.

Normally if your BIOS settings are default, your Clover at bare minimum and your MacOS a fresh install, you shouldn't face any KPs... if you do and they appear to generate random reports, then there is definitely something wrong with your hardware: bad CPU, bad GPU, bad RAM.

If you are stable with the above, then restore some of the additions one after the other while monitoring if you get random KPs... it will most likely take days... but in the end you'll be able to figure out where was the issue coming from.

FYI, have a look at what I went through: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99193-Help!-System-hangs-freezes-when-overclocked
Just checked the post! You've been at it for quite a while :)
So I am going to do the testing one by one. Here are a few observations though:
- I have ran prime95 overnight from within OS previously (I am going to do it again). That should be enough testing for CPU right?

- Previously I have ran Cinebench on macOS and it passed. Can apps like Heaven and Valley be used to ensure GPU works as desired?

- I just ordered 64GB kit. I shall run it when arrives, but in the meanwhile I would run memtest86+ overnight on my existing kits.

- Finally, I removed all the patches and kexts. Just have the fakeSMC and TSCAdjustReset. So far so good (no hangs for around an hour or so :p )

Thanks a ton for your help. Looking forward to your EFI folder. It might have some magic that could be applied to my system for stability ;)

Just checked the post! You've been at it for quite a while :)
So I am going to do the testing one by one. Here are a few observations though:
- I have ran prime95 overnight from within OS previously (I am going to do it again). That should be enough testing for CPU right?

- Previously I have ran Cinebench on macOS and it passed. Can apps like Heaven and Valley be used to ensure GPU works as desired?

- I just ordered 64GB kit. I shall run it when arrives, but in the meanwhile I would run memtest86+ overnight on my existing kits.

- Finally, I removed all the patches and kexts. Just have the fakeSMC and TSCAdjustReset. So far so good (no hangs for around an hour or so :p )

Thanks a ton for your help. Looking forward to your EFI folder. It might have some magic that could be applied to my system for stability ;)

- Prime95 is not enough because it will not reach all your CPU functionalities and will not randomly mess with them. I'd strongly encourage you to conduct further testing with Cinebench 20-50x in a row (keep hitting that Run button) on both Windows and MacOS. It happened on many occasions to me that my OC was rock stable with Prime95 running for hours, but would immediately crash after 5-6 runs in a row of Cinebench.

- Regarding the RAM I can't really tell honestly. I've never had bad memory sticks, but I've conducted several memtests both in Windows with a memtest app and also by booting on a memtest ISO, always passed.

- Make sure to uninstall Nvidia too, even if that means having a non-functional GUI with lags for a few days. The idea is to have your system up and running with the minimal third party stuff. That's the only way you'll be able to find where the issue is coming from.

- For GPU testing, Heaven and Valley are really not enough. I couldn't get my system to freeze with them, even after running them for 24h... The only app that I found could trigger my system freezes almost instantly is a free game called Fortnite, because this game uses the latest GPU-related instructions and functionalities that were barely supported by Nvidia drivers (and effectively they were indeed buggy).

- Honestly I highly doubt my EFI has hidden magic. Like I said, things should be pretty straightforward now with the latest Nvidia drivers (now that they are finally working properly).

- Prime95 is not enough because it will not reach all your CPU functionalities and will not randomly mess with them. I'd strongly encourage you to conduct further testing with Cinebench 20-50x in a row (keep hitting that Run button) on both Windows and MacOS. It happened on many occasions to me that my OC was rock stable with Prime95 running for hours, but would immediately crash after 5-6 runs in a row of Cinebench.

- Regarding the RAM I can't really tell honestly. I've never had bad memory sticks, but I've conducted several memtests both in Windows with a memtest app and also by booting on a memtest ISO, always passed.

- Make sure to uninstall Nvidia too, even if that means having a non-functional GUI with lags for a few days. The idea is to have your system up and running with the minimal third party stuff. That's the only way you'll be able to find where the issue is coming from.

- For GPU testing, Heaven and Valley are really not enough. I couldn't get my system to freeze with them, even after running them for 24h... The only app that I found could trigger my system freezes almost instantly is a free game called Fortnite, because this game uses the latest GPU-related instructions and functionalities that were barely supported by Nvidia drivers (and effectively they were indeed buggy).

- Honestly I highly doubt my EFI has hidden magic. Like I said, things should be pretty straightforward now with the latest Nvidia drivers (now that they are finally working properly).
I ran Cinebench around 70 times with no freezes or KPs. Also played Fortnite which went fine too. So now it seems its down to memory which would hopefully be with me by Friday.

I ran Cinebench around 70 times with no freezes or KPs. Also played Fortnite which went fine too. So now it seems its down to memory which would hopefully be with me by Friday.
Have you tried memtester? You can get it via brew install memtester? As my case, it will report memory error only on Mac OS. If your case is similar to mine, maybe you will get some error by this stress software.

Have you tried memtester? You can get it via brew install memtester? As my case, it will report memory error only on Mac OS. If your case is similar to mine, maybe you will get some error by this stress software.
Just started running memtester. Let’s see how does it come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back