Contribute
Register

High Sierra Random Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are any of you running your home directory off of another SSD, rather than the one that Mac OS is installed on?

Not sure if anyone brought this up, as I briefly read through the threads. Anyway, I was having freezing issues as well and thought it was an Adobe CC update issue, because it was mainly happening while opening up Photoshop/Illustrator. My freeze issue also started when Adobe released the 2018 updates. I would have to do a hard press reboot to get it back up again and force quit Photoshop before it opened up. I would have to do a proper shutdown in order for it to run normally.

After trying everything from upgrading to Sierra/High Sierra from El Capitan, turning off graphics acceleration, to buying a new GPU and ultimately upgrading my entire build from Ivy Bridge to Coffee Lake, it came down to my home directory being on a separate SSD/HDD/NVMe. I'm currently running the OS on a NVMe and moved my home directory back to said NVMe and all is perfect. I haven't had a freeze since doing so (knocks on wood).

Worth a shot!

@itwas can you please share your EFI folder? I am trying to downgrade to Sierra from High Sierra, but my config.plist (and probably kexts) are not letting it boot from the USB.

@itwas can you please share your EFI folder? I am trying to downgrade to Sierra from High Sierra, but my config.plist (and probably kexts) are not letting it boot from the USB.
I meant @exark

So maybe i'm posting too soon. but I haven't had any freezes since my last post. Coincidence maybe, but here is what I have changed:

• I set my graphics memory to 64MB in the bios (its still 1500MB once booted). It used to be 64 and for some reason I changed it to put it higher a while ago (maybe coinciding with the freezes?)
  • I set the memory to 'Enhanced Stability 'in the BIOS. Again, I think this used to be set, and I recently changed it.
  • In clover my ig-platform-id didn't have the '0x' before it. So instead of typing manually, I selected it from the Clover Configurator list and saved.
Now that I've posted this, I expect a freeze any second now :D

Update: No freezes at all today, which is a huge improvement. Quietly confident that my issue is now fixed. (EDIT2: nope. still froze. latest test is removing a RAM stick, and so far its been ok)

Last edited:
@jaraheel - attached is my EFI folder. I edited my serial number and UUID out of the config.plist, but everything else is there. Hope that helps somehow!

Note that I found that for my board, I HAVE to run EmuVariable64 with clover. I had not previously installed the RC scripts and am wondering if this is what was wrong with High Sierra, but my system is so stable right now, so I'm not going to risk it heh.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    16.4 MB · Views: 79
I can't install Sierra on my hack :(. It hangs at Beginning PCIe configuration...

Its been a few days.. but I got a random freeze again :( (usual, totally frozen, cant ssh in etc).

And I was so convinced everything was fixed

Question: when you freeze, is your system still accessible on your network? When mine freezes, I can still access it from my MBP. I use the hackintosh for my Plex server and I can still run it even when the desktop and gui are frozen. Seems like a graphics issue to me.

Hi, I am going to jump in here. New Coffee Lake system, been freezing pretty much since day one. I just recently updated my BIOS to the latest version but it froze once since I did that. Today I made the costly decision to replace my RAM since my original RAM wasn't on my MB's compatibility list. My system always freezes when I am using it, I leave it overnight running with monitors sleeping and when I come back int he morning it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back