Contribute
Register

High Sierra Random Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have the same problem. I have a HD300 igpu instead of a HD4600. If possible test this, enable ssh access to your hackintosh, and the next time it hangs try login trough ssh and reboot or halt the system. I think the problem is with the graphic susbsytem, and that the system stills runs, but the screen is completely frozen.

updated the BIOS using UEFI BIOS Updater 1.69.11, so far so good
https://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool-Guide-News-quot-UEFI-BIOS-Updater-quot-UBU.html
you may try my updated BIOS

Code:
Z8MAD2H3.U1C // original BIOS U1C

1 - Intel RST(e) OROM and EFI SataDriver
     OROM IRST RAID for SATA    - 11.1.0.1413
     EFI IRST RAID for SATA     - 11.6.0.1702
2 - Intel OROM VBIOS and EFI GOP Driver
     OROM VBIOS SNB-IVB         - 2158
     EFI GOP Driver IvyBridge   - 3.0.1023
     EFI GOP Driver SandyBridge - 2.0.1023
3 - LAN OROM PXE and EFI UNDI - Intel, RTK, BCM, QCA
     OROM Realtek Boot Agent GE - 2.50
     EFI Realtek UNDI           - 2.015
7 - CPU MicroCode
     View/Extract/Search/Update

Z8MAD2H3_UBU.U1C // updated BIOS

1 - Intel RST(e) OROM and EFI SataDriver
     OROM IRST RAID for SATA    - 12.9.0.2006           // updated
     EFI IRST RAID for SATA     - 12.9.0.2006           // updated
2 - Intel OROM VBIOS and EFI GOP Driver
     OROM VBIOS SNB-IVB         - 2171                  // updated
     EFI GOP Driver IvyBridge   - 3.0.1030              // updated
     EFI GOP Driver SandyBridge - 2.0.1024              // updated
3 - LAN OROM PXE and EFI UNDI - Intel, RTK, BCM, QCA
     OROM Realtek Boot Agent GE - 2.66                  // updated
     EFI Realtek UNDI           - 2.043                 // updated
7 - CPU MicroCode                                       // updated, Sandybridge=29, Ivybridge=1C
     View/Extract/Search/Update

Attachments

• Z68MAD2H3_UBU.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 96
Are you guys using APFS or HFS+?

HFS+

do not experienced any random freezing so far, after I updated BIOS
Code:
Z68MA-D2H:~ Z68MA-D2H$ uptime
9:21  up 1 day,  9:29, 2 users, load averages: 1.99 1.94 2.09

I have tried both. I think it makes no difference.

When I upgraded from 10.12 to 10.13 I kept everything as HFS+. That's when the freezing started. One of my efforts to resolve it was to get a new SSD and install HS fresh. I used APFS for that. Didn't help. (I have since reformatted my two remaining HDDs to APFS too.)

However, the frequency of freezes reduced dramatically when I got rid of 4 other SATA HDDs.

Apparently my last freeze was a KP, for which I was able to retrieve the debug info (at reboot a prompt asked me if I want to send the data to Apple, for which I said yes and clicked to display the detail):

If you guys would do the same and post the info here that would help!

I haven't had any such debug info.

I'll debug tomorrow.

Did you learn anything?

I haven't had any such debug info.

Did you learn anything?

I've made a few changes, which involve switching from APFS to HFS+. I'm currently at 23h 36min of uptime as I write these lines. So far so good.

Could you tell me which kexts you're using in Clover? I'm mostly interested about the FakeSMC related ones.

I'm using HFS+ (as far as I know, it's impossible to use a fusion drive setup with APFS).

After itwas's suggestion, I've been looking into upgrading my machine's BIOS but that seems like it might end up being more trouble than it's worth :/

I'm once again stumped. Aside from a BIOS upgrade, I really have no idea what else could be going wrong here. I'm on the verge of reverting back to El Cap (last time my machine was stable).

Could you guys please share with me the list of kexts present in your Clover "Others" and "10.13" folders? That way I might be able to spot which modification I've made that seems to have resolved the issue.

Also, I don't see anyone sharing their KP dump... :( That doesn't help.

After a freeze, please restart MacOS and at boot when you are prompted with the following message, click on "Report..." then show details and copy paste the kernel panic dump here.

TS3742_04--Restarted-001-en.png

Current uptime: 1day 12h 55min. The max I've ever had.

Could you guys please share with me the list of kexts present in your Clover "Others" and "10.13" folders? That way I might be able to spot which modification I've made that seems to have resolved the issue.

Also, I don't see anyone sharing their KP dump... :( That doesn't help.

After a freeze, please restart MacOS and at boot when you are prompted with the following message, click on "Report..." then show details and copy paste the kernel panic dump here.

TS3742_04--Restarted-001-en.png

Current uptime: 1day 12h 55min. The max I've ever had.

Take a look the logs in the /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports folder

my basic settings for 10.12.x and 10.13.x
Code:
EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/AppleALC.kext
EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/RealtekRTL8111.kext
EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/FakeSMC.kext
EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/Lilu.kext

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports folder only contains some application error logs. No KP there.

My current uptime is 1d 15h. There is something I did that seem to have resolved the issue. Trying to find what. It's maybe not kext related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back