Contribute
Register

High Sierra Random Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try the SSH trick but I think it's a hard freeze.

I suspect SATA. Maybe some kinds of conflicting access trigger this. This thread got me thinking about it https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/random-freeze-hdd-led-on.238412/#post-1659739

When I reduced the number of SATA devices from 8 to 3, the freeze became much less frequent, so much that I thought the problem was gone. Today I stared up Backblake Backup, which causes a lot of read access, for the first time since the fresh reinstall and not much later I got a freeze.

I run rsync every 4 hours to backup one 3TB disk to the other. I can either turn that off or set up something for continuous disk access to test my theory.

Also, if most people use only one drive, or one most of the time, that might explain why it's not reported more often.

Also, exark's description of the machine running ok over a weekend unused and freezing 20 mins into a work session fits my SATA theory. (I know, it could fit a lot of other theories too.)

Are you guys somehow overclocked? Could you try the following simple test and report if it freezes your system:
  1. Download Prime95 for Mac OS X p95v294b7.MacOSX.zip (you can also get the CLI version): https://www.mersenne.org/download/
  2. Open the application (press cancel on joining the network)
  3. Go to Options -> Torture Test -> Select Blend -> hit the Run button
  4. While this is running, make sure to monitor the temperatures with Intel Power Gadget
  5. While the test is running, play an MP3 song of your choosing with iTunes or by pressing the space bar directly on the song from Finder (in other words, in Quick Look)
Please make sure to monitor your CPU temps while you do this as it can go quite high.

Are you guys somehow overclocked? Could you try the following simple test and report if it freezes your system:
  1. Download Prime95 for Mac OS X p95v294b7.MacOSX.zip (you can also get the CLI version): https://www.mersenne.org/download/
  4. While this is running, make sure to monitor the temperatures with Intel Power Gadget
  5. While the test is running, play an MP3 song of your choosing with iTunes or by pressing the space bar directly on the song from Finder (in other words, in Quick Look)
Please make sure to monitor your CPU temps while you do this as it can go quite high.

no OC, Intel Power Gadget 3.5.1 was installed, Intel Power Gadget 3.5.0 instantly crashed my sandy bridge and Ivy bridge systems. I would try to install the old version 3.0.3, or uninstall the Power Gadget to take a look.

Not overclocked. And I tested with Prime95 and MemTest for about 3 days total and all was well. (Also ran Sophos.)

Not overclocked. And I tested with Prime95 and MemTest for about 3 days total and all was well. (Also ran Sophos.)

Ok, could you try to play an audio file while Prime95 is running please like I suggest?

I don't have SATA, just NVME. And I'm getting random freezes after 5-14h of uptime when the computer is mostly idle.

What about the aptiomemoryfix?

yes, In my case, random freezes occurs mostly when the computer is in idle state.

P95 Torture Blend running now while listening to 160k MP3 with Quick Look. How long should I do this? And what are we looking for?

Reading deeper in the aptiomemoryfix I think it's unrelated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back