i5 760
Graphics
GTX 750 Ti
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Lets have another theory, shall we? :)

I'm counting 5 days of uptime so far - and what did I change - I did move my SSD to another port, served by different controller. It is still SATA3, but no hangs anymore. In fact, there were couple of hickups, that were looking like it is going to lock-up the same way as before, but (miraculously) the OS was able to recover from that in a matter of seconds.

So there is this one more thing to try - move your SSD (*) to another port, by another controller - if possible, and observe.

(*) yes I did intentionally skip the "if you have SSD" cause I would just love to believe that our trouble with HS is caused by SSD.. Anyone with this problem, but not having SSD, now it is time to come out! ;)

(**) my board has 3 different types of SATA ports, first group is handled by ICH and that is just SATA2, then there is Marvell 9128 which is apparently SATA3 and also JMB362 for eSATA group. Now this is quite odd and confusing, cause I did originally had SSD hooked on to 9128, and now on something else which is detected in HS as "Generic AHCI", and "Link speed: 6 Gigabit" - and that one is different from "5 Series Chipset" that I also have listed there. I get 370+ MB/sec on reading, which is clearly more than sata2 link speed.. but neither ICH or JMB362 should be able to do more than SATA2.

UPDATE:
9 days uptime, so it is definitively SATA port issue. Maybe SATA3 related, maybe specific controller, but works for me!

Last edited:

Con

Motherboard
Asus Zenbook UX310UA
CPU
i7 6500
Graphics
HD520
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
so was having a couple of freezes a day since HS updating. And read through this thread, trying to piece it together.
I'm running SSD for OS drive, Home folder on it too, then another few standard HDs on it too, no drives permitted to sleep. I swapped my Sata cables around so that the boot drive was disk1 and all's been running well since (a few days now – so not 100% sure yet... )

I can only guess why, but the new APFS things and the EFI them look like they may need priority over other HDs. And they should reply first as they're quicker.
Anyways hope this helps someone as this forum has gotten me outta so many jams over so long.

Lets have another theory, shall we? :)

I'm counting 5 days of uptime so far - and what did I change - I did move my SSD to another port, served by different controller. It is still SATA3, but no hangs anymore. In fact, there were couple of hickups, that were looking like it is going to lock-up the same way as before, but (miraculously) the OS was able to recover from that in a matter of seconds.

So there is this one more thing to try - move your SSD (*) to another port, by another controller - if possible, and observe.

(*) yes I did intentionally skip the "if you have SSD" cause I would just love to believe that our trouble with HS is caused by SSD.. Anyone with this problem, but not having SSD, now it is time to come out! ;)

(**) my board has 3 different types of SATA ports, first group is handled by ICH and that is just SATA2, then there is Marvell 9128 which is apparently SATA3 and also JMB362 for eSATA group. Now this is quite odd and confusing, cause I did originally had SSD hooked on to 9128, and now on something else which is detected in HS as "Generic AHCI", and "Link speed: 6 Gigabit" - and that one is different from "5 Series Chipset" that I also have listed there. I get 370+ MB/sec on reading, which is clearly more than sata2 link speed.. but neither ICH or JMB362 should be able to do more than SATA2.

UPDATE:
9 days uptime, so it is definitively SATA port issue. Maybe SATA3 related, maybe specific controller, but works for me!

Con

Motherboard
Asus Zenbook UX310UA
CPU
i7 6500
Graphics
HD520
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
okay so that's definitely it. OS Drive needs to be at Sata1 on MB (or possibly SSD Drive if home folder on it)

Motherboard
Asus H87
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770 3.4GHz
Graphics
Intel HD4600
Bumping this thread because I'm thinking about updating to Mojave.

My system has been rock solid after downgrading to Sierra, but because some of my favorite apps are starting to drop Sierra support, it seems like I'll be forced to upgrade sooner or later.

Folks who have had issues with random freezes on HS, have they persisted after upgrading to Mojave?

Motherboard
P8Z77-V LX Clover UEFI
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GT 640 1920 x 1080
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
Android
"Reboot and Selection proper Boot Device" in boot Clover, fix it only option EFI (ESP) , when you do the installation on a USB flash drive and the same when, at the end of the Mojave installation, you need to select this option for the EFI to boot. In case anyone encounters this problem.

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASRock X-Series X299 Taichi DDR4
CPU
Intel Core i9-7900x 3.3GHz 10-Core
Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti x3
Having the same thing here. About 2-3 times a day while I'm using the machine it will just freeze. Any audio playing will cut out, and my mouse will be frozen in place. It requires a hard reset to bring it back.

I have a hunch that it might be related to USB but I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to happen when it's left on its own. It can be processing something all night long without any issues, but when I'm in the middle of using it is when it will happen.

Would love to get to the bottom of it.

I'm on MacOS 10.13.6

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4
CPU
i7-860 2.8 GHz
Graphics
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Mobile Phone
iOS
Just letting you all know that I'm in the same boat, High Sierra is not stable on my main machine. I get various UI freezes. I'm on macOs 10.13.6 with Security Update 2018-003. Bare minimum of kexts. I've had 4 freezes today, at least, one of which occurred within a minute or two of rebooting after the previous one.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4
CPU
i7-860 2.8 GHz
Graphics
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Mobile Phone
iOS
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4
CPU
i7-860 2.8 GHz
Graphics
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Mobile Phone
iOS
I believe I now have High Sierra stable on my Series 5 motherboard. There were multiple causes of my instability and I am writing up an install guide for this MB. In short the fixes are:
  • Select MacPro5,1 as the system, as iMac14,2 results in High Sierra trying to perform power management this MB/CPU is not capable of.
  • Apply the ICH10 fix for Random freeze HDD led on as the P55 chipset has an ICH10 embedded in it.
  • Audit your programs, especially any autostart ones, for any that are not being updated for Mojave. I had one (DragThing) that resulted in an occasional Pinwheel of Death.
  • Apply the [Solved] High Sierra - need CMOS reset after sleep to fix the CMOS corruption on sleep fix.
The P55 used to be simpler to run as a Hackintosh, but with the above fixes I believe it is stable.