Contribute
Register

High Sierra, quick sync, 6700k, amd480r & 17,1 definition hitting encoding performance

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Hello everyone

I am running into some issues (I think) with quick sync under my 17,1 definition. I have gone with this as I am using the 6700k having previously tried one of the others and found I was unable to export video at all. I am currently able to though it does not have the wow performance I expected, in FCPX my 2013 mbpr recently outperformed it awhile back on one export!

Most of my exports are using 20-30% of the cpu. I have tried Davinci which was hitting 50%. I also downloaded MacX Video Converter Pro as a previous post mentioned it being the best way to tell if QS is working correctly my options are one tick box containing Intel/AMD/Nvidia is this correct? Exporting under these settings uses 100% of the CPU something I have never seen FCPX or DaVinci Resolve hit, encoding to HEVC was much faster than FCPX.

What am I missing here it seems pure CPU tasks are a definite improvement whereas probable CPU & GPU combinations fall flat on their ass?

Any suggestions and pointers are very much appreciated.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7 10900K
Graphics
Vega VII
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone

I am running into some issues (I think) with quick sync under my 17,1 definition. I have gone with this as I am using the 6700k having previously tried one of the others and found I was unable to export video at all. I am currently able to though it does not have the wow performance I expected, in FCPX my 2013 mbpr recently outperformed it awhile back on one export!

Most of my exports are using 20-30% of the cpu. I have tried Davinci which was hitting 50%. I also downloaded MacX Video Converter Pro as a previous post mentioned it being the best way to tell if QS is working correctly my options are one tick box containing Intel/AMD/Nvidia is this correct? Exporting under these settings uses 100% of the CPU something I have never seen FCPX or DaVinci Resolve hit, encoding to HEVC was much faster than FCPX.

What am I missing here it seems pure CPU tasks are a definite improvement whereas probable CPU & GPU combinations fall flat on their ass?

Any suggestions and pointers are very much appreciated.

Hi! How did you manage to make quicksync work using the 6700k?