Contribute
Register

Success - Z370-HD3 i5-8600K - RX 580 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
@agrajag does your hackintosh recognise when you connect your iPhone?
Not sure what you are referring to. It does recognize the iPhone in iTunes when it's plugged into a USB port. It also recognizes it through Airdrop now that I have a compatible WiFi card installed. I don't have Handoff enabled as my bluetooth etc is not compatible enough for that to work.

Not sure what you are referring to. It does recognize the iPhone in iTunes when it's plugged into a USB port. It also recognizes it through Airdrop now that I have a compatible WiFi card installed. I don't have Handoff enabled as my bluetooth etc is not compatible enough for that to work.
For some odd reason my iPhone 5s is not recognised on the Mac,
It works flawlessly on my windows laptop.
I can't figure out whats wrong.
When I connect to my usb 3 port, it is visible on the SystemInformation>USB info chart.
But iTunes not Mac acknowledges it. Also my phone does not react when I plug it in. Doesn't ask for Trust This Computer even...

Hey man, thanks for sharing, I am running almost successfully full build except Audio and USB power, as the bus is not loading. Reading the guide you are linking at doesn't help me at all because I don't even have a clue what files to open or what to change, as all the SSDT or something is just a big unknown for me (first hackintosh). Could you please provide your steps if possible? Thanks a lot

Nvm... I've noticed the EFI provided and now everything works like charm (even audio). Thank you very much for sharing this!

Huzzah!

Just completed a similar build. Used this success and other very similar ones to guide me (thanks a million, everyone!) I've been building Hackintosh since Lion and this was the most difficult, in some ways. And the easiest! Long story short, once I got smart and bought parts from the recommended lists here, it worked like a champ. Before that, my usual strategy of sorta shoehorning things into a hack really failed me. I think, with High Sierra, we've reached a staggering level of complexity within the Mac OS. (It used to be so easy and fun!) I shall now defer to the experts here when I attempt the next build and stick to the script. Unfortunately, gone are the days when I see some old PC/laptop and think, "Heck, I am going to make a Mac out of that!" I can say, sadly, that it is pretty daunting affair at present. I am not sure High Sierra lends itself to easy builds with old hardware, unlike previous iterations of OSX.

Anyway, here are my basics:
  • Fresh install
  • iMac 18,2
  • Used the latest version of High Sierra 10.13.4 (Version 13.4.9, May 27, 2018 build)
  • Used BIOS settings indicated on the first post of this thread
  • Followed basic installation instructions found on this site for High Sierra
  • Didn't convert to APFS!
  • Used AORUS (Gigabyte) RX-580 (8GB) throughout entire install process (no onboard video switcheroo funny business)
Hardly anything to sweat over, here, folks. Just plug in and play by the rules. Much different than my previous attempts of yesterday and the day before with an MSI Mortar Z370M mobo and XFX RX-560 4GB GPU, which produced nothing but swearing and boot loops. (And TRULY random behavior. It was surreal; sometimes the installer would almost sorta work, then sometimes it would crash and burn almost instantly, throwing horrific errors and KPs. So frustrating. I about gave up and bought an iMac. Ha!) I figured an MSI Z370 was an MSI Z370; how could they be too different? Same for RX-560...they are about all the same, right? Wrong. People report success with Gigabyte but maybe not XFX. Hrm. (BTW, the XFX would NOT allow me to flash its BIOS using ATIflash to a reference RX-560 ROM as described elsewhere. Go figure. Had it, the XFX probably would have booted, I'd guess.)

In retrospect, it was likely the cursed GPU as the MSI board looked pretty solid. I'll be keeping my eye on others who try this part. It is a nice motherboard! Ultimately, I got fed up and upgraded to a big boy video card and also got a proven motherboard. Only weirdness after I hardwared up was that I could not run the installer (upon booting the second time via USB to finish installation) unless I injected ATI. Weird. And only once. After installation, it was totally fine. Otherwise, it was pretty smooth sailing. The TP-Link WiFi is killer! Plug and play. I am able to see my DRM Apple Music video now. Nice! Onboard sound doesn't work but I haven't fussed with it at all and probably never will. I use a really nice outboard USB AD/DA sound interface for music production, anyhow. I am going to get redundant hardware and clone this puppy right away so I can use one just like it at work!

FWIW, this thing is so fast, I have no inclination to overclock it at the moment.

MY HARDWARE SPECIFICATIONS
MOBO: Gigabyte Z370 HD3 rev.1
CPU: i5-8600K (unlocked hexacore 3.6 GHz)
CPU Cooler: Enermax ETS-N30R-HE
GPU: AORUS (Gigabyte) Radeon RX-580 8GB
RAM: 4x8 GB Patriot Viper DDR4 (PC4-21300 2666MHz, 16GB Kit x 2)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB (Mac OS system/boot volume)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB (File storage volume)
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB (Windows 10 system volume)
WiFi: TP-LINK Archer T9E AC1900 PCIe
Case: NZXT S340 Glossy White Midtower Steel

As promised, I repeated the build with identical hardware. It just so happened that Fry's had a sale this weekend on everything I needed! Even my funky case! Wha?! Anyhow, the installation was so easy the first time that I opted not to use Carbon Copy Cloner or Clonezilla. That would have been slightly awkward with only one NVMe slot per machine. (I suppose I could have used a LAN to do it with Clonezilla, alas, I have no optical drives handy.)

Anyhow, just wanted to reiterate that, on a fresh install with this mobo and a Gigabyte RX-580, you have to inject ATI once in Unibeast after the first install reboot. Once the OS fully installs itself to the hard drive/SSD/whatever, you are fine to boot without. Failing to do this results in a KP and boot loop. You have been warned.

As promised, I repeated the build with identical hardware. It just so happened that Fry's had a sale this weekend on everything I needed! Even my funky case! Wha?! Anyhow, the installation was so easy the first time that I opted not to use Carbon Copy Cloner or Clonezilla. That would have been slightly awkward with only one NVMe slot per machine. (I suppose I could have used a LAN to do it with Clonezilla, alas, I have no optical drives handy.)

Anyhow, just wanted to reiterate that, on a fresh install with this mobo and a Gigabyte RX-580, you have to inject ATI once in UniBeast after the first install reboot. Once the OS fully installs itself to the hard drive/SSD/whatever, you are fine to boot without. Failing to do this results in a KP and boot loop. You have been warned.

If the machine goes to suspend and resume, do u have issue with the fan speed? In this forum, many users with this board (including me) suffer, from this issue. The fan speed will go to maximum, and all the fan speed reading will be disappeared. This will only be temporary fixed by reboot. If u go to suspend again, the problem comes back.

If the machine goes to suspend and resume, do u have issue with the fan speed? In this forum, many users with this board (including me) suffer, from this issue. The fan speed will go to maximum, and all the fan speed reading will be disappeared. This will only be temporary fixed by reboot. If u go to suspend again, the problem comes back.

No. Fan speed seems okay? Or I have not noticed anything obviously unusual. Speaking of this kind of thing, I am not able to get a CPU temperature in my iStatMenus app, despite the fact that Intel Power Gadget reports it. Odd. Other than that, not too much strangeness with this one. Well, a few small things. CPU name is "unknown" in About This Mac. And my GPU temperature sensor seems to have disappeared also. I am not totally worried about these things. It is a bit odd, though.

EDIT: No, wait...I have no idea about fan speed, possibly. I do not see RPM readings anywhere on the desktop. Are you referring to case fans? If so, I have them going full bore all the time anyhow as they are simply attached to a Molex connector using two pins (and no fan frequency reporting.) If you refer to the CPU fan, then I am not sure. It always seems to be spinning fast, no matter what. The CPU fan is so quiet, though, I am not suffering at all.

The latest MultiBeast fixed this issue.

In all my other build, USB 3 has been a real nightmare. This time, I am seeing "USB 3.0" reported in About This Mac. Nice! Speeds, however, are still disappointingly pokey. It could be the poor controllers in my mobile HDDs, I guess. Or maybe I am spoiled by the NVMe SSD!

peed, possibly. I do not see RPM readings anywhere on the desktop. Are you referring to case fans? If so, I have them going full bore all the time anyhow as they are simply attached to a Molex con
you can try with a program called HWmonitor and you can find out... I have a quiet room... so the issue is significant to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back