Contribute
Register

High Sierra Nvidia WebDriver Loaded on Catalina Beta (No Acceleration)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Ranger VIII
CPU
Graphics
GTX 1080
I have to say I am a complete noob so this is more likely a fluke.
I will try to include as many details as possible so the community can replicate.
I suspected this method would work on Mojave as well (not yet tried)

So I was installing mackintosh the first time today, started with High Sierra and the NVIDIA Drivers, huge success.

I wanna get Catalina since the apple apps aren't backward compatible (e.g. notes, reminders), but I read about the lack of Catalina GTX 1080 support and I decided to use the iGPU until the driver comes.

I first edited the .config file, then set the MOBO to IGFX (with multiple monitor support). iGPU worked but there were glitches here and there so I did some finetuning.

Meanwhile I came across this post (problem 5) and changed it to my Mojave build number anyway.

The GTX1080 was still attached to the MOBO and I thought what if I connect one of the monitors to it? (I have two) AND IT WORKED!!!
System Report shows 2 GPU simultaneously (iGPU and dGPU). For some reason using launchpad will log me out, I suspect the cache limi on the iGPU so I plugged both monitors to the GTX1080 and it works perfectly (system preferences shows 3 monitors connected, which was weird)

I rebooted the device (both monitors on GTX) and as expected, it did not work, since MOBO was set to IGFX. Rebooting into BIOS and changing setting solved the problem.

Setup:
Asus Maximus Ranger VIII
GTX1080

I hope this would guide you guys in getting the 1000 series working! I am not online often but I will try my best to answer your questions!
P.S. I am looking for a Wifi / BT card that supports airdrop / air play / hand off etc. any recommendations?
P.S. For some reason Karabiner Elements did not work when I updated to Mojave from High Sierra, any idea?

Screenshot 2019-07-26 at 19.31.02.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.9 KB · Views: 2,119
It's a good idea to remove your serial number from your images.

Thanks to OP. Has anybody replicated this result / can confirm full acceleration with the GTX 1080?

@rayrayronald,

The Nvidia High Serra WebDriver's have no support for Apple's Metal 2 API in Mojave or Catalina, so your Nvidia card will have no hardware acceleration, it is working purely as a very basic display controller. This is nothing new and has been known for a long time. None of the advanced features of the card are being used.

If it was fully working then System Information would show that Metal is Supported like this :-

Screenshot 2019-07-27 at 16.54.40.png
You can confirm this yourself by attempting to run the Metal benchmark in GeekBench 4, it will most likely cause MacOS to reboot, lockup or at the very least produce an error. If you run one of the more generic benchmarks you will either get a very low score or an error.

All you have done is patched the Nvidia HS WebDriver to allow it to load as detailed in this post :-

Despite the fact the Nvidia driver has loaded and the GPU is reported in About this MAC and System Information it is only running as a very basic display driver, you will get more features and acceleration by using the IGPU of your 6700K CPU and disabling the Nvidia GPU using the method detailed in this post :-

I've changed the title of your thread as it is was very misleading and incorrect.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Ah yes, sorry for the confusion.

I was really excited for a bit and ye it turns out there is no acceleration....

Cheers anyways!

What were the steps for you to even get this working? (starting from the very beginning?) I honestly wouldn't mind any hardware acceleration and having monitor support if possible. I just use the eGPU for gaming in Bootcamp (works really well). But if I am coding, I prefer to be in OSX for development and so I currently use two dongles to do this. It would be great to remove that stuff and simply use the eGPU instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back